Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:11:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVertex - Action/Exploration Platformer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Vertex - Action/Exploration Platformer  (Read 33675 times)
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »

Graphics-wise, the temple looks much better than the outdoor areas, I think I know why.

The use of darkness gives great depth to the temple, but the outdoor areas generally occupy an average light space of color value - I think that perhaps darkening the inside of the 'ground' tiles might help to create more of an interplay between light and shadow.

Just a little idea-thing
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 12:44:31 AM »

Hey guys! Just graduated last Friday, so that means (among many other things) that I have some more time to work on Vertex here. I've done a ton of work since the last update, but I'll just briefly show you some of the new renovations for now.

Gunnar really sucked before. So I completely remade him yesterday. Meet the new Gunnar:

(You can also see what I've done with the garden tileset in terms of color. I'm satisfied with it now.)

The dialog box was also pretty boring, so I'm working on a new one:

Also working on remaking Silex (though with the same concept, just better), fancying up the pause menu appearance, fixing room transitions, finishing the Blue Cave, and plenty of other things throughout the game. I've also made a sweet boss for the Blue Cave, but I want to show that one in video and I'm still searching for a good (free) screen recording program for the new computer.

Hopefully I'll be back to show more updates soon! Rest assured I've accomplished a lot more than I'm showing right here  Grin

EDIT: Also, @Jad: I agree. Thanks for your input. I'm still keeping that whole color thing in mind. I'm planning on redoing some background tiles and maybe making some more just to give the place a little more flavor and contrast.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 04:29:02 AM »

I like the new colors, but In my opinion the background has too much detail. It feels like a little bit noisy (perhaps using a bigger tile size for the background and make them less detailed?).
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

Hurrah! Congrats on graduating, and looking forward to seeing where this goes next :D Greenlight, perhaps?
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »

Well, I was playing with the background tiles and I came up with this. It's a lot more interesting and less plain than the last, but it might still seem busy. Tell me what you guys think.

Hurrah! Congrats on graduating, and looking forward to seeing where this goes next :D Greenlight, perhaps?

Thanks! I've been told by a lot of people that I should put it on Greenlight when it's done. I'm not sure what my plan is there, but I'm considering it.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »

I prefer these larger and less detailed tiles for the background. But now the problem is that the hair of your main character is too close to the background color. Don't you think so ?

I hope that I'm not too picky Smiley
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »

With all these improvements to the Garden, I'm having another go at the trees (third attempt!). Here's the first one redone:

Also, lol

I prefer these larger and less detailed tiles for the background. But now the problem is that the hair of your main character is too close to the background color. Don't you think so ?
Well, that's so fine-tuned that it would look a little different on different monitors anyway. The colors aren't too close on my monitor, but they could be on yours. I can keep an eye out for it on other screens, but with Edgar's bright green eyes and everything in motion anyway, there's hardly an issue of the character's hood blending into the background.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »

Wow, it sure has come a long way.

I would tone down the BG, it definitely stands out right now in screenshots at least. The pattern is great, but it's bright enough or there's enough contrast that you notice it, when I think you should have to look for it.

Loving the colors though!
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »

Woop! That's true, it is my monitor! I've tested it on the mac screen and the colors are much better and less close to each other.

By the way, its cool to see the comparison between the previous colors and the ones you are using now. Great work.
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Finished remaking Silex. Same idea, but better attacks and sprites. Just all around better than before.

I finished the trees, and the Garden as a whole looks a lot better now. I'm happier with the amount of light and shadow here now.

Also, I made this a long time ago, but I never posted it here. So here's a nice and dark shot of a new place:

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 06:41:15 AM »

I dig the redone graphics. The vegetation all looks very good, and I'm a sucker for well-pixelled vegetation.

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

Finally got around to playing the demo of this game.  It's quite enjoyable!  I really love the art, movement, attacking, and switching between characters!  I do think it could be a little more forgiving on the jumping from platform to platform, as in it could let you run off the edge a little(or a little more if it's already set up to do that).  It's a very common thing in platformers, but that may not be what you guys are going for with this game.

I'd also like to share that the only reason I quit playing the demo was because I died when I encountered the first boss, but I hadn't gone back to the save guy before going into the room after getting the key.  This meant that I was going to have to go back through and get the key again, which isn't difficult, but just annoying enough that I didn't care anymore.  If the game auto-saved at key places, like when you're about to encounter a boss, it might help retain a few players.

Just dropping my minor feedback, still an awesome game regardless! =)

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Glad people still seem to be enjoying it. As usual, I have a lot of progress made that I can't really show here (yet), but I do have some updates to post here. I just started figuring out how to make little .gif gameplay snippets  Wizard

I'd also like to share that the only reason I quit playing the demo was because I died when I encountered the first boss, but I hadn't gone back to the save guy before going into the room after getting the key.  This meant that I was going to have to go back through and get the key again, which isn't difficult, but just annoying enough that I didn't care anymore.  If the game auto-saved at key places, like when you're about to encounter a boss, it might help retain a few players.
Excellent feedback. I've been doing a lot of little adjustments like moving Captain Checkpoint to places where he's more useful anyway, but I see your point.

I dig the redone graphics. The vegetation all looks very good, and I'm a sucker for well-pixelled vegetation.
Grin

I posted a picture of the new Gunnar earlier, but here's a glimpse at how he looks in battle:

Ice cave level:

More fire level:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:40:42 PM by iMoose » Logged
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »

I've been working on a lakeside village called Seltona. Screenshots should be soon to come, but in the meantime here's the music I created for it late last night:

Seltona Shore
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:25:37 PM by iMoose » Logged
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

Hey, just played your demo. This game is looking really nice. Movement felt good, character switching is cool, and the story seems cute so far. Like where you're going with the new art, can't wait to buy the finished product!

@doomlaser, mark johns
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

I've been working on a lakeside village called Seltona. Screenshots should be soon to come, but in the meantime here's the music I created for it late last night:

Seltona Shore

I'm hearing Zelda whistles, Fez distortion... and

?
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »

I'd also add that I would strongly consider changing your game's name to something that isn't such a common word, especially in regards to game tech. Even Googling 'Vertex indie game' will give you junk results.

@doomlaser, mark johns
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

Wow Great music on that first Teaser video!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

Nice visuals, following!

Follow me on twitter @alexolsenpang
illisid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

So... Vertex demo speedruns?

Multiple deaths in this run, sub 30 is definitely doable. Screenshot taken right outside the door to oris's cutscene.

edit: there we go 25 is much better! I bet someone could get a sub 20 though

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:20:08 PM by illisid » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic