Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:46:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEldgame - a sandbox rpg
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Eldgame - a sandbox rpg  (Read 12739 times)
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »

Figured it was a good time as any to start up a devlog for my currently in progress minecraft/cavestory ripoff sandbox roguelike game I'm currently calling Eldgame.

The game is going to be a procedural sandbox singleplayer experience focused on exploring, gathering, crafting/building and npc interaction.
Exploration will be achieved by hopping between different worlds by finding portals, different worlds contain different floras, different temperatures and new exciting monsters.

Any plant that grows should be harvestable and regrown as long as the environment is correct, everything is persistent in the way that things keep on happening in other worlds while you're not there, every piece of terrain is breakable and rebuildable as long as you have the tools to do it.

The world of the game itself is built around an arbitrary amount of data files in xml format, much inspired by dwarf fortress and the data it builds the world with.

The game should potentially be able to generate new world with newly added data files even if you have already started a game.

I'll be adding more as I progress, hopefully more often than not.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »

It's relaxing to look at.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:35:48 AM »

I was wondering what happened to the game.
Glad to see you're still working on it! :D

Uykered
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:45:53 AM »

Looks great! Just hope it has a ton of challenge/risk in it so it can be exciting.
brettchalupa
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 04:02:45 AM »

Looking very cool so far. Can't wait to see it in action.

I really like the lighting. Kiss
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:54:43 AM »

Video looks really nice. Liking it so far Smiley

How many different worlds are you envisioning at the moment and are the only differences going to be the looks of each or will there be special unique properties in each?

st33d
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:05:49 AM »

I like the look and sound of this.

What's it run on? (Can only play on OSX here Sad)
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:12:30 AM »

About time you started a devlog!

Any chance there will be a playable alpha/beta? For feedback, of course. Grin

brettchalupa
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »

Yeah, I am interested in the tech too! What engine/language/tools are you using to build it?
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »

Yeah, this looks great. Glad to see you picked it back up after so much downtime.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »

This looks fantastic at the normal scale, so please don't scale it up in the final version. Kiss

I'll be following this.

eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »

Thanks everyone!, I never actually left this completely, but I always had months where a thousand other things came in the way Tongue

As for challenge, I intend to have some kind of permanent death if so chosen, with some inheritance system where you'll get or adopt children/pupils to be your successor when you eventually die or grow old, where skills and belongings could be transfered in some matter, be that via training or something else.

Different worlds will be different in every sense I hope, all will be underground cave environments, as I'm a big arx-fatalis/underworld fan, ranging from lava caves, mushroom, frozen, to wasteland and jungles, if an object looks different it is different.

It's all written in c++ and I'm using sdl and opengl, so it should easily port to mac and linux when I get to that point.

I'm currently working on building the entire system the game runs on, which means everything but gameplay as I'm still figuring that out, I'm looking toward something that drives you and gives you some purpose.

One would be going out to find recipes that adds to your crafting-list, the other would be gaining some kind of experience or skills to further give you abilities to make things.

Another would be finding friendly npc's that you build houses for and they'll pay you back in gold or services such as building, fetching food for you or guarding the town.

playable alpha is still a bit away ;P

And as for scale, it can currently be scaled to any size, and run at any resolution, so doing crazy stuff like this is possible:

http://www.eldpack.com/files/eldgame_world.png

poe
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »

This looks fantastic Smiley
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »

Love the sound of this, can't wait to see more of it!

I really hope you'll consider adding a outside area, even if it's an extremely small token town or campsite outside a cave entrance.
Since I'm a huge fan of your pixel art and classic green and lush rpg tilesets.
I think that knowing that there's a larger world up there would help against the slightly oppressive underground feel, which I still appreciate. (I play minecraft, haha)

eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »

Love the sound of this, can't wait to see more of it!

I really hope you'll consider adding a outside area, even if it's an extremely small token town or campsite outside a cave entrance.
Since I'm a huge fan of your pixel art and classic green and lush rpg tilesets.
I think that knowing that there's a larger world up there would help against the slightly oppressive underground feel, which I still appreciate. (I play minecraft, haha)

As it is set up now I wouldn't be able to stop anyone from adding their own outdoors world-type Tongue

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

As it is set up now I wouldn't be able to stop anyone from adding their own outdoors world-type Tongue

Gentleman Huzzah! An excuse to make pixel art!

yuotta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »

This is killer, really looking forward to more updates!
SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »

Glad to see you on the TIGforum! I will follow the progress on this game for sure!
Love your minecraft texture pack as well mr. eld Wink

Edit: i just remembered i made some fan art a while ago!
Check here -> http://fav.me/d4k3fje
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »

Sounds cool. I really love the death and passing-on of stuff.

Minecraft death was more of a nuisance. It kind of didn't impact everything else a whole lot.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »

Eld! Looks fantastic. Art is very awesome, and sounds like its gonna be an interesting game!

Have you played unrealworld? If not, check it out -- survival/housebuilding/exploration roguelike.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic