Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:53:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoments of Reflection - puzzle platformer about mirrors
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Moments of Reflection - puzzle platformer about mirrors  (Read 11900 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »

My game's done! Check it out please!

Imagine if you could place down a mirror and step through it. And then, imagine if you could solve puzzles in order to get a carrot. Cuz you're a rabbit. Imagine that.

(dated footage)

PLAY (Kongregate, Unity Web)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:11:10 PM by stevesan » Logged

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

sounded interesting, so i watched the vid, and yes it is interesting  Grin

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »

That's actually pretty wild. There's a well of interesting level designs in that concept.

The title is pretty good too.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »

Interesting game idea and design. This must be pretty much addictive and fun, ey?  Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »

Looking like a good start Smiley Remember seeing another game using the same gameplay mechanic and think it's a great player control. Can't remember the other games name though.

Also like the name.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'll be sending a private test-build to everyone who replies to this thread at some point.

Looking like a good start Smiley Remember seeing another game using the same gameplay mechanic and think it's a great player control. Can't remember the other games name though.

Also like the name.

Some games which use a similar (but still quite different) reflection mechanic are Reflexio: http://reflexiogame.com/  and Mirror Rays http://indiegames.com/2012/05/freeware_game_pick_mirror_rays.html - both really neat puzzlers!

Although maybe you saw the video I posted before with a totally different look:

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »

That's it and yeah I actually thought it might have been one of your old videos that I saw (which it was).

Great mechanic and nice to see you're still improving it and working on it.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »

Bump for playable build: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48378162/reflect/index.html

BWG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

Hi there. This is very nice. Such a simple idea and very well implemented. I have done a lot of work with dynamic meshes, but I'd never heard of monotone decomposition. Thanks!

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

Some quick updates:
- Decided to snap mirror angle to 45 degrees. This prevents some random-ish solutions to the puzzles. This is reducing player freedom, but it's also simplifying things a lot. And it makes solutions less reliant on precision mirror-placement. I'm considering snapping the position of the mirror as well.
- Added a "ball key", which rolls around physically. No real good puzzles for this mechanic yet, but I think it's promising.
- Some more visual polish.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

Long time no update, but progress has been made! Tweaked the interface a bit, added new mechanics and levels (34 so far). Aiming for an IGF 2013 submission!

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »

Latest version doesn't seem to allow reflecting at an angle!  Clicking, then dragging (whether mouse is up or down) only results in scrolling the reflection left and right.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »

Yeah it's not quite ready for hands-off playtesting - but the Q & E keys now rotate the mirror. The eventual goal is to teach the player the basic mechanic without allowing rotation for the first few puzzles, and then introducing rotation once they've got the gist of the mirror mechanic.

bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 06:32:02 AM »

Saw this on indiegames.com!

I think the art style is a lot more fitting than in the earlier video that you've posted, but I did feel it got a bit bland once it got harder and I had to think about the solution for any length of time.

The lock & key mechanic works nicely, but I didn't have time to play much beyond the point where multiple reflections are required.

Really like your idea of using a Google form on the page for feedback. How's that working out?

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »

I used google forms for feedback for my previous game, Beat Juice Radio, and we got a lot of feedback from that. Haven't gotten any for this yet. Couldn't hurt to add a form for your games though!

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »

And thanks for the feedback. I agree it probably gets a little bland when you're stuck (even though I think the puzzle solutions are neat Tongue). I think some more visual polish and maybe a narrative of some sort may help.....?

bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

And thanks for the feedback. I agree it probably gets a little bland when you're stuck (even though I think the puzzle solutions are neat Tongue). I think some more visual polish and maybe a narrative of some sort may help.....?
Yeah, I don't think it needs much. Maybe some colour variations and more visual feedback on your actions. Just played through the rest of the game and the moving keys are interesting! Gameplay is there already and I'm looking forward to playing more levels.

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »

Cool man! Just curious, about how long did it take you to complete all the puzzles?

Yeah, I don't think it needs much. Maybe some colour variations and more visual feedback on your actions. Just played through the rest of the game and the moving keys are interesting! Gameplay is there already and I'm looking forward to playing more levels.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

Updated the build with more polish. Removed the vignette border Tongue http://tinyurl.com/playmor

PIZZAPRANKS
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

I saw this on the indie game blog and really liked it. The core mechanics seem strong and I was able to understand how the new systems fit almost instantly. Did you have any plans for other mechanics? Either way I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic