Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:26:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRikerök - The Angel Saga
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rikerök - The Angel Saga  (Read 7065 times)
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »

Progress: ####################

Created during MiniLD #35, is now being continued to become a full game. Rikerök is a space shooter / exploration hybrid based on the great NES game The Guardian Legend.

It's HTML5 and will be available in webgame portals such as Kongregate
The final version will be free to play online, an it will be sold to mobile devices.

Story

In the year 2201 Earth's space security agency detects an anomaly in the outskirts of our galaxy. Further investigation of it's radiation revealed it to be an enormous mass of dark matter, much greater than any quantity ever found. They kept an eye on it, as they were interested in the origins of such rare anomaly.

Eight years later, they noticed the mass changing direction, and it was heading towards earth. It's approach was slow, but certainly fatal.

A fleet of space ships is sent in its direction, taking few weeks to reach it somewhere near the orbit of Pluto.
The mass revealed to be a massive ship, the size of Earth's Moon. Not much could be uncovered, as the ship immediately destroyed all of the human ships.

And the same happened to anything Earth tried to throw at them.

(story to be continued)

The Game

The base game will be pretty much the same as the original. There are two game modes, Exploration and Shooter.
Exploration mode is in top-down perspective, and you walk around rooms, much like the first Legend of Zelda. To progress into further areas in this mode, you must enter the corridors and defeat the boss.
Shooter mode is your standard shoot'em up. The weapons you gather during exploration mode are most useful here.

This game introduces the concept of Resources, that you gather from dead enemies. They are: Energy, Biocell, Metals and Dark Matter.

-Energy replaces the Chips from the original game. It is the currency, and what your special weapons use as ammo. It's easier to find.
-Biocell is used to power your shields. Can be found mostly by killing organic enemies.
-Metals are used to create weapons and modules. You find it mostly by destroying scenery and metal enemies.
-Dark Matter is used in certain upgrades and modules. It's really hard to find dark matter stable enough that you can pick up. Usually drops from bosses.

Character Progression

Character

- Level: You can level up just as the original game. Each level you get more HP and increase how much of each resource you can carry.

- Chips: Chips will be something like equipments in this game. You can buy them or get them from bosses.
There will be 3 types of Chips: Movement, Weapon and System.
Movement Chips affect your movements, eg: speed, dash ability
Weapon Chips affect your basic gun, eg: multiple bullets, damage against armor, shooting speed
System Chips affect other things, eg: see invisible enemies, get more item drops

Chips will each have a size, depending on how good it is, so you can equip fewer of the best ones, and more of the common ones

- Special Weapons: There will be 10 special weapons. They are separated in 3 categories and use the respective resource to be used:
Energy weapons, which uses Energy
Physical weapons, which uses Metal
and Prototype weapons, which uses Dark Matter

The type of weapon can be strategically used to deal with different types of enemies.

Other Items

- Random drops: when you kill any enemy or bullet you might get a random drop. These include health and shield refill, or resources.

Play

You can play the game that I made in two days, that started this project:
Here's a playable TEST version
Keys: C(confirm), X(shoot), Arrows(move)

Images

Title Screen

Shooter Segment (old image)

Exploration Segment

Menu
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:44:11 PM by 7Soul » Logged

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:50:30 AM »

Very nice game!
Simple but fun.
What you're using to make this game?

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »

very nice  Smiley
I m a fan of the game The Guardian Legend. I even created a site http://theguardianlegend.com
I posted a topic about this game there.

My game Orbox B: Rebirth. Puzzle-logic with sci-fi story
Lot of mechanics and levels. Google play, iOS, PC, Mac, find links in press kit here:
https://progamix.com/en/PressKit/14/orbox-b-rebirth
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

Updated the main topic

Today I remade the main character overworld sprite, and played around with the colors that will be in game

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »

Really cool graphics and style. Interesting idea, too, to mash up exploration and space shooter genres. I love the transforming animation. You've got a lot done so far already! Keep it up!

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »

Working on the sprites. Diagonals are hard o.o''

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »

Pretty cool!  Can't wait to see how the exploration part plays out.

I've tried out the demo.  It's pretty polished and I like it.

I guess I have a couple of comments.  First, there's a bit of acceleration/deceleration on the ship which I'm not used to when playing shooters (but then, I don't play a lot so maybe there are some that have it).  This demo is fine since it's pretty easy, but I'm seeing myself running into bullets once there's tonnes of them on-screen in the later levels because of this.

The other comment is that when the items spawn, it goes down too fast since it's tied to the terrain's scrolling speed.  I almost don't get a chance to see what the item is before I grab.

But other than that, I love the retro feel of it.  Good job!

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »

I guess I have a couple of comments.  First, there's a bit of acceleration/deceleration on the ship which I'm not used to when playing shooters (but then, I don't play a lot so maybe there are some that have it).
This have been changed, I removed the acceleration/deceleration completely and I think the movement got a lot better now

The other comment is that when the items spawn, it goes down too fast since it's tied to the terrain's scrolling speed.  I almost don't get a chance to see what the item is before I grab.
Yeah this depends on the scrolling speed. Most of the time it will be slower than in the test version

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

Been working on the menu, and the overworld part of the game.
But that's not interesting, so here's some new sprites:

Character portrait

crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »

Wow, this feels really good already.  I like how you can shoot bullets to destroy them as they come at you.  The speed of everything just feels perfect to me, I had a very easy time controlling where I was going and seeing enemies and bullets.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »

The sprites and portraits there are very slick. I feel like just fading to black on the character's hair is a bit stark - maybe you could go for a darker color (the shirt color on some of the portraits, for example)?

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »

Made the first 4 weapons:

Click to see the gif (4mb)

In the order they are in the menu:
1: Fireball
2: Laser Saber
3: Double Heater (they would fallow enemies if there were any on screen)
4: Magnetic Rings

I still need to make it so all projectiles disappear when you change weapons, and make weapon movement account for lower fps

Uykered
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »

Looks nice, but it feels like there is too much black in the non-collision ground tiles (which makes it harder to see details on the character, enemies etc.) Do you think a slightly lighter shade would be okay, or is it fine?
t-recx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »

I love the style on this game My Word!
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »

New map engine, now shows connections between rooms and can also display bigger room shapes. In the game there's still no bigger rooms, but I'll be working on these next.

I'll also be working on secret rooms to be displayed as blue squares on the map, but only after the player discovers them

Looks nice, but it feels like there is too much black in the non-collision ground tiles (which makes it harder to see details on the character, enemies etc.) Do you think a slightly lighter shade would be okay, or is it fine?
This will still be worked on. Most of the background graphics were made during Ludum Dare so there wasn't much time to plan them properly.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 09:10:39 AM »

I believe I finished the map system and the menu screen. I'm moving the extra information to another screen, and for that I'm adding 2 more buttons, L and R, that will be used in the game to quickly change weapons.

Unexplored areas are dark and don't show the passages between them. This way you reveal the map as you explore, and the map serves more as a guidance and so that you don't get lost.
There's also a dot that shows where your next objective is, if there's any.

Now I'll work on more interesting stuff, because none of you wants to keep seeing menu screens, right?

I think now I'll start working on enemy behavior for the exploration part.
First I'll make those rocky enemies that roll at you

(updated this post)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:35:55 AM by 7Soul » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »

Holyshit guarding legends 2!
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »

I'm a big fan of that menu. Not as much a fan of the other graphics though, they seem to lack a certain spark that the startscreen and menu do seem to have.
antoniodamala
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »

I'm a big fan of that menu. Not as much a fan of the other graphics though, they seem to lack a certain spark that the startscreen and menu do seem to have.
Agreed with him. I dunno the other graphics seems too much weirdly colored, seems kinda messy.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

Finally found a solution to the problem that was holding me back. I was trying to create rooms that were bigger than one screen (as the game was initially going to be based entirely on single-screen rooms, similar to NES Zelda dungeons). I finally got it working ^^

Here's some more dev log stuff

According to the comments on the background art, these are some of the new graphics I've been working on. (WIP)

These are all weapons I made so far
Keep in mind weapons are not yet balanced, these gifs are also not a good representation of the speed in-game

1st weapon: Fireball
Powerful and slow-moving ball of fire. Moves slowly and can hit multiple times as it pass through enemies.
Best against: Big and slow enemies

Level 1:

Level 3:

2nd weapon: Saber
Short range laser. Drains energy fast and deals a lot of damage
Best against: Slow enemies you can get near, enemies that moves directly towards you

Level 1:

Level 3:

3rd weapon: Double Heater
You create two balls of energy that float around you, targeting enemies as they appear. They use energy while they are on screen, and keeping two heaters will use even more energy.
Best against: Spread out groups of enemies, fast-moving enemies

Level 1:

Level 3:

4th weapon: Magnetic Rings
Shoots magnetic metal rings backwards, then propel them forwards, covering a wide area around you.
Best against: Enemies far away, enemies behind you

Level 1:

Level 3:

5th weapon: Gravity Well
Creates an area of strong gravity that sucks bullets and deals damage to enemies.
Best against: Enemies that shoot a lot, big enemies, enemies with predictable movement

Level 1:

Level 3:

6th weapon: Orbiter
Use your metal to create an orbiting blade that hurts enemies on collision. It serves as a shield against bullets.
Can only endure a certain number of hits before breaking, then you need to use it again.
Best against: Small enemies, close-quarters situations

Level 1:

Level 3:

7th weapon: Wave
Creates fast-moving sound waves that go through enemies.
Best against: Groups of enemies, resilient enemies, fast-moving enemies

Level 1:

Level 3:

8th weapon: ?

9th weapon: ?

10th weapon: ?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic