Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:20:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTerror Okkulta
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Terror Okkulta  (Read 3454 times)
Robin Sommer
Level 0

Gamedesigner and artist with a love for adventure.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

Terror Okkulta is a single player action/adventure game with an emphasis on exploring and horror elements.

Synopsis
You are Colin, 19, living in a small town. When your rebellious sister does not come home  on time from a friend's party, you decide to go and find out what happened.
You find out that the group of friends actually are at the abandoned mansion near the swamp, and that they're going to evoke the spirits, you're determined to get her home. When you arrive at the mansion something terrible needs to be stopped..

Hello everyone!

I started working on this project two years ago and it's very dear to me. I gave up on it a lot of times in the past, started over a couple of times, sometimes didn't work on it for months. But I always thought about it, en kept on developing the idea in my head because this is the game I really want to make and want to play. Since I'm actively working on it now, next to my fulltime job, I decided to start a devlog to keep myself motivated and to get some good critique.

I'm aware of the fact that there are a lot of good and bad (survival) horror games out there. This is way I really want to make a good one, even though this is gonna be a big challenge since the game is a 2d sidescroller.
That is why I've read a lot of articles about what makes something scary, this is very interesting stuff. Also I'm watching a lot of horror movies at the moment, and I have seen a few in the past. Decomposing suspens hopefully helps me to create tension in my game.

What you can expect
  • A compelling story.
  • Fully animated characters.
  • A living, breathing world with a lot of secrets waiting to be discovered.
  • Puzzle elements, as long as they fit the environment and the story.
  • Original music, produced by myself.
  • Adventure!

Tools
Multimedia Fusion 2, Adobe Flash, Photoshop, Ableton Live, Wacom Bamboo MTE450
Release: When done.

I plan on updating every week, maybe more, maybe less.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:45:14 AM by Robin Sommer » Logged

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »

A screen of the first version

Mock-up how it looks now

Color variations of the main character

I'm currently working on the animations of the main character, here's a

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:45:31 AM by Robin Sommer » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

that looks very nice. i like. but it makes my ankles hurt.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »

animation is really smooth, nice work

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »

Thank you very much sir!

The only thing I don't completely understand are your ankles. I'm Dutch so I don't really get what you mean, I think.. Smiley

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »

animation is really smooth, nice work

Thanks! I'm not convinced about the run animation though, so I have to tweak it a bit. I want to be totally satisfied, you have to look at this character the whole time so it has to be good.

Tonight I'm going to work on the jumping, ducking and crouching if  I have time.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:29:46 AM »

Liking the look and animations so far but think the arms on the walk animation need to be loosened up and not as tightly held back.

Miro
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »

Liking the look and animations so far but think the arms on the walk animation need to be loosened up and not as tightly held back.

Really like the visual feel in your game! I really want to see how this turns out.
And as said before the arm should bend some from the elbows. Looks better in the running animation.
Also now that I looked at it again, maybe more vertical movement during the walk cycle?

And I don't know if it's just me, but some of the bushed look maybe a bit weird, like blurred. Is it intentional?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:25:28 AM by Miro » Logged
Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

I'm gonna try that. I felt something wasn't right, this might be it! Thank you Smiley

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »

Really like the visual feel in your game! I really want to see how this turns out.
And as said before the arm should bend some from the elbows. Looks better in the running animation.
Also now that I looked at it again, maybe more vertical movement during the walk cycle?

And I don't know if it's just me, but some of the bushed look maybe a bit weird, like blurred. Is it intentional?

Thanks Miro, I also wonder about how this all turns out Giggle. Hopefully as good as I have it planned, I'll do my very best.

You mean these bushes on the left and right? That's intentional, these bushes are closer to the "camera", it maybe doesn't really come across. This may be the size of the image.

All the environments you see are made out of old artwork from when I remade the game last year (except for the image of the first version prototype).
I don't know if I'm gonna make new artwork for the environments yet, probably. For now these are mostly mock ups and placeholders.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »

Thank you very much sir!

The only thing I don't completely understand are your ankles. I'm Dutch so I don't really get what you mean, I think.. Smiley

well, technically it makes the ligaments in my knees ache when i see this:

he has two left feet and they're both at 45 degrees to his body in the same direction
Miro
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »

Yeah, I guess it's just the rather small image. But yeah. Well done mockups, atleast I'm excited.
And since it has emphasis on exploration, will it have some puzzles also? And do you have a story behind it or is it more about the gameplay elements and visuals?
Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »

Thank you very much sir!

well, technically it makes the ligaments in my knees ache when i see this:

he has two left feet and they're both at 45 degrees to his body in the same direction

Haha oh that's what you meant Facepalm, I already was looking up urban dictionairies..
Yeah I've already fixed that. Wink

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »

Yeah, I guess it's just the rather small image. But yeah. Well done mockups, atleast I'm excited.
And since it has emphasis on exploration, will it have some puzzles also? And do you have a story behind it or is it more about the gameplay elements and visuals?

The final game won't differ that much, that mock-up is quite how I want it. Smiley

There will be some puzzles, but I'm not really sure how I'm gonna implement them.
An example how I see it now: a dead animal infested with aggressive feasting ravens blocks your path, you now need to find something in the environment to scare them away without giving them a chance to attack you.
So, more context-based puzzles I guess, it all has to make sense. The world needs to be believable, immersion is very important.

I totally forgot to write something about the story in my first post, gonna fix that right away. YES there is a story, and this is very important.

Don't want to give away anything but it's about him losing his sister, she is possessed.

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

Adjusted the animations.

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

Some sketches. Not everything you see here may pop up in the game.

Robin Sommer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

Today I worked on the jumping animation and implemented all the animations in the prototype.

For the next three days I'll be on a music festival, to celebrate my birthday and party. After the weekend my vacation starts so then I'll have plenty of time to work on the game.

To do when I'm back:
  • Pick up animation
  • Activate/investigate animation
  • Crawl animation
  • Import animation in prototype
  • Make testlevel
  • ..a lot more

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »

Animations are looking better and liking the sketches