Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:03:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSurvival [finished] (small update)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Survival [finished] (small update)  (Read 10173 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »

So I decided to do an entry half in order to help me learn flash more and partially because it sounded like a fun idea.  Instead of one particular game I decided to demake the entire genre of survival horror Smiley .  Here is my game...

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nitsud/survival

All the code is done by me and so are the graphics (unfortunately...) the music was done by my friend mr. bear...

http://www.myspace.com/bendtheblocks
http://www.myspace.com/djmisterbear

Anyway this is one of my first flash games so I'd like to know what everyone thinks.  Also thanks to everyone on this board who helped me learn flash a bit more Smiley

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:01:48 PM by dustin » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »

Heh.  A fun enough diversion for a minute or two.  No sound here atm though.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »

Yeah, this is actually quite fun. Some issues I noticed:

• Being able to move diagonally would be very nice.
  • Sometimes bullets pass right through zombies. Since bullets are quite fast (it's good that way, I like it), your collision detection should take the line between two successive bullet positions into account, not only the current position. Alternatively, advance bullets in two or three smaller steps.
  • The HUD overlays the playing field, and while playing it's often hard to tell whether the bullet/syringe is lying on the field or is just in the HUD. That's confusing.
  • No sound here, either.

But overall, good job for one of your first Flash games Smiley
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »

I think I fixed the sound thing, I just forgot to upload the mp3 when I reuploaded a little bug fix.  Thanks for the warning.
increpare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »

I think I fixed the sound thing, I just forgot to upload the mp3 when I reuploaded a little bug fix.  Thanks for the warning.
Well I meant that I was in my office and didn't have speakers ...  :D
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »

:D  ok so maybe it was working, I still don't really understand all this uploading stuff Smiley
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »

I like this. It's got nice and sleazy music, too  :D

You'll want corpses to despawn over time, though. After a while the green and black shards blot out the vaccines and bullets.

Also, could you make the scoreboard less intrusive? If you give it a little bar at the bottom, it'll probably get in the way less. As it is, It's in the way and I can hardly see the numbers. Keep up the good work, though!
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »

Sweet game  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »

This was neato!  Two things would help a lot, though.  An intro screen to describe how to play, and making the HUD more separate from the game, so you aren't trying to pick up that syringe.

Also, apparently there is a way to shoot?  I somehow missed that and I thought the game of collect-syringes-faster-than-you-bump-into-zombies was fantastic and clever!

medieval
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »

Also, apparently there is a way to shoot?  I somehow missed that and I thought the game of collect-syringes-faster-than-you-bump-into-zombies was fantastic and clever!

There are instructions  if you scroll down.

You use wasd to shoot.

This game is magnificent!
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »

* Being able to move diagonally would be very nice.
* Sometimes bullets pass right through zombies. Since bullets are quite fast (it's good that way, I like it), your collision detection should take the line between two successive bullet positions into account, not only the current position. Alternatively, advance bullets in two or three smaller steps.
* The HUD overlays the playing field, and while playing it's often hard to tell whether the bullet/syringe is lying on the field or is just in the HUD. That's confusing.
* No sound here, either.

yeah I'll update it for diagonally.  I fixed the HUD too so that it's less obtrusive I just have to reupload it in time for the competition.

Also, could you make the scoreboard less intrusive? If you give it a little bar at the bottom, it'll probably get in the way less. As it is, It's in the way and I can hardly see the numbers. Keep up the good work, though!

Yeah thanks for the comments on this aspect it works much better now I think.

Thanks for all the comments guys I'm glad it got some plays.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

ok made the updates

changed the hud
allowed diagonal movement
allowed diagonal firing
changed the firing a bit
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:13 AM »

Got 104 kills, is that good?  Cool

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:12 AM »

it's enough to get on the highscore board on kongregate.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic