Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:34:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBuccaneer Bombardment
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Buccaneer Bombardment  (Read 10600 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »

Our game is nothing like Canabalt, or any game on the market. Also, none of our graphics are vector; everything is hand-painted bitmap sprites and tiles. Are you sure you're looking at the same game?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »

saying that phubans' game is a canabalt clone is the funniest thing i heard today; the only similar thing is that both are one-button games. but one-button games have a long history and existed for decades before canabalt. there have even been one-button game making contests before canabalt existed. they are especially good for handicapped people who may only be able to play games with a single button (due to not having hands, for instance)

@miro - if you'll be adding more variety that's good, but three different types of enemies is still very very basic. it's not a matter of being original, it's more a matter of it not looking fun to play for me, even with three types of enemies it seems simpler than those old tiger handheld games. i know most mobile / flash games are simple but not *that* simple. but if people actually are having fun with it, that's really all that's necessary. it's just that i can't see myself playing it for more than a few minutes because it seems like it'd get repetitive without some variety. also if you changed the game's name you probably should also change this thread's title

Miro
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »

saying that phubans' game is a canabalt clone is the funniest thing i heard today; the only similar thing is that both are one-button games. but one-button games have a long history and existed for decades before canabalt. there have even been one-button game making contests before canabalt existed. they are especially good for handicapped people who may only be able to play games with a single button (due to not having hands, for instance)

@miro - if you'll be adding more variety that's good, but three different types of enemies is still very very basic. it's not a matter of being original, it's more a matter of it not looking fun to play for me, even with three types of enemies it seems simpler than those old tiger handheld games. i know most mobile / flash games are simple but not *that* simple. but if people actually are having fun with it, that's really all that's necessary. it's just that i can't see myself playing it for more than a few minutes because it seems like it'd get repetitive without some variety. also if you changed the game's name you probably should also change this thread's title

Yeah, hopefully we'll have so that it will have enough variety. We were thinking of five enemies in the start, but decided to go with three, since we just thought that we could add a update later on, if the game gets even some downloads. But thanks for the feedback! Yours was one of the best one,  so really appreciate it.

And I'll try to change the thread name.
Miro
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 01:33:44 AM »

Douple posting, but just got the information that there were 27 games in the competition, of which 16 were chosen for "second round" (gets to show trailer at the event etc.). And we were one of the 16. Yay.

Here's the link for the pc demo
http://media.assembly.org/gamedev/2012/buccaneer_bombardment_by_nice_to_have_feature.zip

We are aware that there are couple bugs in the game, which will be updated 30th day before the event.

Hope you wish us luck.
Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »

Doesn't open for me, any ideas?
Miro
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »

Doesn't open for me, any ideas?

Here's the link to all of the games
http://www.assembly.org/summer12/news/gamedev-entries-published

Try that way, if the link doesn't open up for some reason.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »

as a descendant of buccaneers, I feel insulted by the way my ancestors are protrayed in this game

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Miro
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »

as a descendant of buccaneers, I feel insulted by the way my ancestors are protrayed in this game

I think we have unknowingly insulted everyone already.
Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

I think you might be correct there.

New link did the same, I extracted the files and tried to run the application file and it just come up with the 'Buccaneer Bombardment has stopped working' dialogue. Not trying to shame you, just letting you know of a possible bug. I would like to play this game so that I can offer some solid feedback.
Miro
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »

I think you might be correct there.

New link did the same, I extracted the files and tried to run the application file and it just come up with the 'Buccaneer Bombardment has stopped working' dialogue. Not trying to shame you, just letting you know of a possible bug. I would like to play this game so that I can offer some solid feedback.

Ah, it seem there has been problem with some computer. well here's another link which should work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7ltm7xm5pp27tl/Buccaneer%20Bombardment.zip

It doesn't yet come with a tutorial or anything, and the highscore doesn't do anything yet I guess. Quick how to play:

Protect the village by tossing the pirates in the air.
Left-mouse button = grab pirate
Right-mouse button = Scroll the gameplay are

normal pirates don't have anything special.
moustache one dodges your first touch
big one needs to double tapped before you can grab him

if a pirate is carrying a women. tapping the pirate will make him release her.

Do not toss pirate in the air, if he's carrying a woman to the ship. Or the woman will die also.

A update will come 30th day, which should fix the known bugs for the pc version. We won't but that much effort into this (eventho there is money prize), because we want to add the variety to the gameplay for the mobile. Oh and here's a trailer which we'll show at the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=VG0NJjXw9Zw
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:39:43 AM by Miro » Logged
Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »

Invalid link?
Miro
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »

Invalid link?

Sorry. Should work now. Really hasn't been my day today. But we got a shirt deal, so now we'll have a BB shirts to wear at the Assembly event. The print decided that they'll want their logo on the back so we'll get them for 1/3 the price. Which is nice.

And update. Nokia sponsored us also. So we'll get six Nokia Lumias to help us develop and promote the game.

Seem to be rather good day actually.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:01:02 AM by Miro » Logged
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »

I respect the OP for keeping such an optimistic mood when almost everybody has got some serious big problems with his work.

on that subject: Why does Bowser steal the princess ?

I don't believe the world outside of bedroom programmers see very big problems in this, it's not explicit and it looks flashy.
And stealing of woman is a very normal way of behaving for normal men in places in time/space where the police is not around.

anyway, I'm off too the beach!

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »

I too don't see any problem with thise. It's clearly meant as a joke/not serious game.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »

Either, though I think the new name sucks, I may be the minority here, but go all out full retard with this so to speak, the game was a lot more catchy being named Pirates vs Boobies  Cheesy just on a purely epicly bad b-games vibe that I get from it rather than Buccaneer Bombardment - which just kinda sounds well, meh.

Your art style seems to be a bit (as many have pointed out) generic also, Im sure you could pump a bit more b-game type full retard feel into this and it would actually have a good vibe, though the gameplay still definitely needs some work - it looks pretty dull.  Maybe consider (if you are going to use vectors or cutout style) doing some sort of different image cutout/patchwork type style, could work pretty well I guess.  The biggest problem isn't the technicals of it, it is just your characters lack anything that makes them stand out or make them interesting in any way.

Have you put much thought into changing up the gameplay elements a bit to make it more interesting?  Maybe instead of throwing the pirates around which, to be honest looks clunky as fuck, and pretty dull to match (ohhhh a god like shaman - kinda lameish) maybe the babes could command cannons that you can angle via drawing the lines on the screen that you can shoot the pirates with?  Dunno just another idea, for a game that leans so heavily on one mechanic, it doesn't look too appealing.

Dunno just thinking out aloud really, look forward to seeing it progress.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:18:57 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »

Alright I finally got it working, thanks for not giving up and ignoring me. I really like the graphic style, and I guess the controls are good enough on computer. There were also some things that I didn't like. In terms of difficulty, seems pretty easy but I guess it scales up the further you get? But I didn't really want to go further because the gameplay is a little repetitive. Have you thought about bringing in other things like power-ups and such, possibly boss battles? More enemies? Spikes you can put on the ground that slow the pirates down? Game currency? Just a few ideas to make the gameplay more interesting. Also, I know it's an early build but when the pirates took all my babes the game didn't end. Have you thought about running it like a plants vs. zombies style where the pirates are in 3 distinct rows? Also I think the music could be better, more tropical I guess?

Sorry for the huge criticizing post, I tried to keep it constructive, and again I really appreciate you making sure that I was able to play it.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

I think if you exploit women already, you should really exploit the topic and try to make money out of it (the only rational reason for doing so).

You should go as far as your morale allows it (and as far as the audience wants it). You should rename your game back to "Pirates and Boobies", "Pirating Boobies", "Lusty Sex Pirates Attack!" or "Boobie Defense" etc (so everybody who searches for boobies will find your game). If it is ok for the app store, you should add some happy boob flashing when you rescue a woman (maybe censored in a creative way to comply with app store rules, e.g. a sea gull flying over the screen at the same moment etc.) and similar stuff.

Holding back at this point is hypocritical and will lead to a half-baked game. Accept that you may influence culture in a potentially negative way (you have been warned already) and do your best to create an exploiting casual game for men who want some mildly erotic lowbrow entertainment.

Invest your creativity in the exploitation and keep the style as it is. I think the style looks decent and fits the game and the target group. Nobody here will praise you for doing this, but do you really aim for artistic and ethical approval?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:37:42 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
Miro
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:42 AM »

Alright I finally got it working, thanks for not giving up and ignoring me. I really like the graphic style, and I guess the controls are good enough on computer. There were also some things that I didn't like. In terms of difficulty, seems pretty easy but I guess it scales up the further you get? But I didn't really want to go further because the gameplay is a little repetitive. Have you thought about bringing in other things like power-ups and such, possibly boss battles? More enemies? Spikes you can put on the ground that slow the pirates down? Game currency? Just a few ideas to make the gameplay more interesting. Also, I know it's an early build but when the pirates took all my babes the game didn't end. Have you thought about running it like a plants vs. zombies style where the pirates are in 3 distinct rows? Also I think the music could be better, more tropical I guess?

Sorry for the huge criticizing post, I tried to keep it constructive, and again I really appreciate you making sure that I was able to play it.

Yea, sorry for the invalid link before. Yea, the game is supposed to be real easy at the beginning since it now doesn't have any tutorial, but it gets harder and harder. And we'll most likely add three difficulty levels in the mobile version, so there will be more pirates and you'll get less collectibles for the spells. There are still bugs in the build, which hopefully will all get fixed before 30th.

We have now thought the collectibles and spells. So the pirates now and then drop these items (like jellyfish or hammer maybe?) and you need to collect four of them to get to use the spell, and there's also coins that will just add more score, maybe 2 or 3 different kind of.

we have tsunami that will wipe the screen clear of the pirates. Earthquake that will stun all the pirates. We want to keep this nature theme on the spells... maybe something to make them move slower. lightning bolt that kills few random pirates. Haven't yet fully designed all of them. We'll probably have three of these for now and add more with an update.
Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »

Yeah, that all sounds pretty good, just keep in mind that it is interesting gameplay that makes iOS games successful. If your goal is to have heaps of people download the game because they see it in the store then you can do just about anything, but if the gameplay is good people will talk about it and become your main channel of marketing, though as Chromanoid points out, there are many ways to get people talking about it. Anyhow, I wish you luck. Continue to stay positive in the face of adversity.
Miro
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »

And we are back from the Assembly event. Which was somesort of a milestone for us, eventho we didn't really succeed in the gamedev competition. Going to post more info with some photos later, since I'm real tired now. Got a chance to meet some developers from Mountain Sheep and Rovio (who invited us to visit the VIP sauna).

So more info coming, hopefully someone is still interested in the project.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic