Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:50:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Tolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game  (Read 63565 times)
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

What is it?
Tolroko is a John Carter ( you know, that epic ancient scifi saga that inspired Starwars, Avatar, and just about every other scifi saga the last century ) inspired open world game. The goal is to create a random generated scifi/fantasy world much like Mars in the Barsoom books. The name Tolroko comes from the name of the planet in the game (Tolroko is the second planet orbiting the planet Toldaro, which is the third planet orbiting the star Tol, yes why not invent a star system and language for describing its composition)...I'll explain later  Roll Eyes

What does it look like?
Some early screenshots from the project.

Vast deserts.

Procedurally generated forests.

Tell me more!
And yea we are building a fresh new engine for this project, built using our game engine construction kit ZeroFps. The game world is generated and streamed from a central server supporting multiple players ( it works much in the same way Terraria does ).

As a human taking your first steps on the strange world of Tolroko, your mission will be to establish a frontier base, make contact with the natives, trade, make piece .. or make war.

Feature wish list - These are main features we dream about at night.
* Huge procedurally generated Barsoom-like world.
* Player & Npc controlled physics driven Flyers & other vehicles.
* Huge procedurally generated cities & smaller settlements.
* Trade goods between cities in an Elite-like manner with the help of your Flyer.
* Establish, Build and expand your HQ.
* Research new technology to gain better weapons and vehicles.
* Pirate hideouts.
* Pirates attacking trade lanes.
* Multiple intelligent races and tribes.
* Reputation system, earn reputation for different factions by trading and missions.
* Diplomacy, unite all the tribes on the planet to bring piece on Tolroko and ultimately win the game.

Latest public build
http://tolroko.tumblr.com/download

Other sites
Main Tolroko: http://tolroko.tumblr.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dvoidis   ( here i post almost daily updates of the progress )
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Tolroko
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:01:26 AM by dvoid » Logged

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

Lol, did't realize the screenshots would be so big  Facepalm ...well right-click+openimage does it Wink, is there a way to make this thing scale down the images?

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

This sounds very interesting. What kind of game are you making, fps action? If the world is randomly generated I suppose there won't be much story?

What kind of realism, or sci fi "hardness" are you aiming for? You use the word fantasy, so I'm guessing it won't be too realistic. Understandable, but a shame. Well, hello there!

The graphics look very nice. The planets in the sky look a bit strange, the perspective of the planet in the first screenshot and the blocky shape of the big planet in the second. The heavy fog near the ground, but clear sky looks a bit strange, but I suppose that's what it might look like with dust near the surface and very thin atmosphere.
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

John Carter Kiss
I love love love you, I've read every book of the original trilogy at least twice, and the other books once. They'll belong to my favorite books forever.

The game looks promising! I'll follow this thread.

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »

Code:
[img width=700]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/dworld19.png[/img]
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »

FPS yes..action,maybe =D , the course is not entirely clear atm..we kind of make it up as we go Wink thats the fun of it! the idea is open world...you start your adventure in some desert and your first goal would be to just survive, get food, get water, get to a city etc. later I'm hoping to add a trade system ELIT/X3 style, where you use a flyer to fly between cities on the planet and trade gods to earn reputation.

Realism...yea I'm actually hoping for allot of realism. not in the game world though, i want the planet to feel really alien and strange. But things like health, food , water, how weapons work etc I'm feeling inspired by Day Z =). I want the player to really feel when it hurts..and feel if he dies...maybe not go as far as permadeath , but as close as possible without making people run after me with a shovel if they die.

Graphics...yea need to work more on that =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

John Carter Kiss
I love love love you, I've read every book of the original trilogy at least twice, and the other books once. They'll belong to my favorite books forever.

The game looks promising! I'll follow this thread.

awesome, i have actually only seen the recent movie and it got me started...loved the universe! The books are on my to read list ( just need to finish a couple of Arthur C Clarke books first )

Kevin
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

I've only read A Princess of Mars, but it got me thinking that I'd really like to do a Sword & Planet game someday. Do this right and save me the effort!

Screens look great and the idea of an open world pulp sci-fi inspired game is drool inducing.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »

Those are some very pretty looking landscapes you've got there! It already feels like you can walk anywhere.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

Oh god what is that blue stick thing

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »

Oh god what is that blue stick thing

Haven't you seen an alien rifle before :D

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

I've only read A Princess of Mars, but it got me thinking that I'd really like to do a Sword & Planet game someday. Do this right and save me the effort!

Screens look great and the idea of an open world pulp sci-fi inspired game is drool inducing.

I will try =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »

Those are some very pretty looking landscapes you've got there! It already feels like you can walk anywhere.

yea..you can, until you get to the end of the world and falls into eternity. Not sure if i should add an invisible barier...or just spawn random wasteland forever ( or a gorilla throwing barrels ).

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »

A friend of mine is working on the first real model for the game, its a rat kind of creature that lives in the desert. im planning to have the player hunt them for food early in the game....

Looks damn awesome!...too bad it makes everything else look crapy LOL!

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »

I like where this is headed.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

A friend of mine is working on the first real model for the game, its a rat kind of creature that lives in the desert. im planning to have the player hunt them for food early in the game....

Looks damn awesome!...too bad it makes everything else look crapy LOL!

This is some nice, detailed stuff! Good work.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »

Finally some shadows! and a new starbox (the outer most skybox showing stars, we use several layers of skyboxes + planet geometry + clouds etc to build up the sky )

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 11:47:42 PM »

seems really nice.

will it be purely based on survival/exploration or do you plan on a more story driven game?
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 04:49:46 AM »

seems really nice.

will it be purely based on survival/exploration or do you plan on a more story driven game?

I don't think we will do any main story, but maybe smaller quest lines. Time will tell =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »

Hello guys and gals!

Heres a first very very developerish build of Tolroko if anyone is interested in trying it out.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/tolroko-0.11.exe

Instructions:
* Type a username & password ..any user & password will do. (user "dev" is a special developer user)
* Pressing "Venture Forth" will connect to my local server if its started Tongue, it is probably not.
  So i recommend you press the "Play offline" button.
* First time you start a game world will be generated....it takes a while.
* Buttons: LMB fire gun.
  Developer user stuff: T - forward time ,  Q - Enter fly mode, E/R - cycle placeable stuff, F - Create stuff ( warning, may screw up your game world  Screamy)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic