Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Tolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game  (Read 63828 times)
S-ed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

invisible wall? what? you can actually go on forever, the world is generated as you move.
It says "Land". So, I think land goes up there.

BTW, 0.25 work fine, sure there are no missing maps?

RTFM
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:49 AM »

invisible wall? what? you can actually go on forever, the world is generated as you move.
It says "Land". So, I think land goes up there.

BTW, 0.25 work fine, sure there are no missing maps?

could you tell me what gpu you have?

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »

0.50 is non existant apparently

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »

0.50 is non existant apparently

do you mean 0.25?   im sorry, i seem to have removed all older builds O_o ,
try this one instead :D http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/tolroko-0.35.exe 

im trying to figure out why some ati/amd gpus (or all of them)  cant render the game properly.
i dont have access to any ati gpu so im sending builds to ppl who has one Wink.

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »

thanks! it works ^_^, dropbox did that to me as well.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

it wont run. says it encountered an error and has to close.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »

it wont run. says it encountered an error and has to close.

wääää  Cry   whyyyyyy  stupid game

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

It seems to start up fine to me, but when it gets to the menu, I'm getting errors. The game never starts up. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with a AMD Radeon 7700 HD graphics card.

Before I get to the main menu (with the loading bar) messages like these flood the console:

Warning shader: Compile info on shader:shaders/lambert_transparent_alpha.shader
pass transparent
Warning shader: WARNING: 0:869: warning(#283) Implicit conversion from: int to:
float
WARNING: 0:869: warning(#283) Implicit conversion from: int to: float

When I get to the main menu, the console reads "invalid operation", but the game continues (though very slowly). I believe there also was an error about a missing ground shader in the console while the game loaded.

Anyway, when I actually got in the game (when the instructions are shown in the bottom-right corner), it froze while the console flooded with errors. This is one of the errors:

ERROR render: Opengl error: "invalid operation" in C:\projekt\tolrokohg\src\zero
fps\src\engine\window\opengl\mesh_gl.cpp (355) in C:\projekt\tolrokohg\src\zerof
ps\src\engine\window\opengl\mesh_gl.cpp ( 355 )
Opengl error: "invalid operation" in C:\projekt\tolrokohg\src\zerofps\src\engine
\window\opengl\mesh_gl.cpp (355) in C:\projekt\tolrokohg\src\zerofps\src\engine\
window\opengl\mesh_gl.cpp (355)

EDIT: Trying again, I actually did get into the game, but it was just sky with space at the bottom, with the same error as above. The game ran slowly, until the sound cut out and it froze a little bit after that, with the error flooding the console. Also, it was my mistake - I thought it was a single error, when it was really multiple errors flooding the console.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:28:45 PM by SolarLune » Logged

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »

yea ,im seeing the same error on other AMD cards. working on fixing it, very hard when i dont have access to any amd gpus...im just guessing , building and hoping for the best :D

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

any chance of a mac build anytime in the future?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

any chance of a mac build anytime in the future?

I guess theres a chance, but i dont have access to any mac atm. we have not yet completed porting the engine to mac , but should not be that big of a problem.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »

After some optimization to decrease the nr of batches , i have managed to double the view distance and increase framerate =D , win win!

two screenshots with the new view distance...much easier to fly around now...when you can actually see the ground Wink

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »

sweet! i spend 4 days on a mac four days on a pc, so i enjoy using both. thanks for the reply!
i can not wait

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »

yay weekend =), will work on ship control systems!!!

trying to add a new mouse control system, not as easy as i first thought...
I need to test more ways to control the crafts to get a nice feel for it. Atm theres two kinds of control systems, theres cruisers that use a more airship kind of control system, and theres the airplane version. Fighters use airplane version, and big freighters and battleships will use the cruiser version.

Also thinking about how to power the things, power crystals is something we have been talking about a lot. very much like batteries but shinier Wink. Power crystals is one of the major power sources on Tolroko.

It would be a cool feeling to enter an abandoned freighter you found in the desert. You find your way in the dark to the engine room, you insert a new fresh power-crystal in to the crystal-chamber, pull a switch, the light flickers and you hear the beast starts to come alive ( ventilation and reactors starts to make noises ). You make your way up to the bridge..then takes the old ship for a spin!!

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »

Hello
I just made a new build =)

tolroko-0.46.exe http://goo.gl/VRHQV

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »

Made a new short video showing the current state of Tolroko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaDkhUfVeaA&feature=youtu.be

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:25 AM »

Oh, i realized that the previous video was a very short one.   so i made a longer one showing some more stuff.

PS. since the ship yard system is not complete yet I'm just spawning ships in developer mode Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0FR53RycR8&feature=youtu.be

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2013, 04:16:12 AM »

This is looking really sweet, just my kind of game.
Looks like KDE in screens, so will be available for Linux I presume?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2013, 05:12:05 AM »

This is looking really sweet, just my kind of game.
Looks like KDE in screens, so will be available for Linux I presume?

=) ofc im using Linux for development , I have not made any public Linux builds though, maybe in the future.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2013, 06:00:10 AM »

Created a new system for storing the game world on disk,
the old systemcreated one file for each chunk of game world, each chunk is about 128x128 meters in the game. with a view distance of 2000 i get a loaded area of about 4000x4000 meters around the player, thats about 4000/128 * 4000/128 = 31 * 31 = 961 loaded chunks = 961 files on disk , just for one part of the game world. When you move around that increases dramatically. Each file is usualy between 4kb and 130kb. So.. the amount of files is a problem. I have looked into key/value database libraries in search of a solution, but i have not found anything small and simple enough that does what i need and not alot of other stuff. If anyone has any idea of what could get the job done , tell me about it =). In the mean time i have created my own simple db system. I simply chunk together all files in one file and keep a list of what file is stored on what offset. The problem is that allocating and deallocating chunks of different sizes in a serial memory tend to lead to fragmentation and thats an annoying and tricky problem. So im using a set of page-files, one file for each file size ( rounded up to nearest power of 2) then i only have to store deallocated indexes in a stack for each "page", so far it works great. I still need to do some work to get the system more reliable in case of crashes etc. Of course i get some internal fragmentation using this system, a 513 byte block will be put in the 1024 byte page etc.

heres an image of the world save directory, the world_*.dat files contains the actual chunks, and the world_*.db files contains the list of unused indices on page. The _master file contains data about in witch page and at what index a file (by name) is stored.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic