Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:59:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Tolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game  (Read 63863 times)
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:55 AM »

its in there, still missing animations though.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »

So today i have been working on cleaning up, optimizing our shader & mesh system. Also implemented support for specular maps and normalmaps. We are now planing our next move. Probably going for inventory system and items, then we can have Ratbastards that drop things we can sell. Selling things monsters drop is like the basis for all RPG's so its a good start  Wizard.

oh..and one more screenshot.

This is me and Jimmy Magnusson playing around with boxes and shooting innocent Ratbastards, everything gets like 10x more fun with multiplayer...so it was actually a bit of fun.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »

Update:
I have added support for multiple lod levels on zones, which means i can load lower detail when they are far away. With this i has incresed the viewdistance in the game to about double.

Also did some work on the flyer , still has not convinced any artist to make a cool flyer model for me, so i built one in the engine using boxes =D, its really cool to fly around the landscape, while some other guy walks around on the flyer. Need to create a secure cargo system for hold cargo in place...it tend go to all over the plays when you take of.

Will try to add a trade dialog or similar in the near future, so players will be able to buy and sell cargo.

Testing out the flyer..its ugly i know =D, but its cool to fly.

Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »

The fact that this game is openworld makes me very excited, and not in the wrong way

I couldn't play the game, the FPS was too low on my system

But from the screenshots and what you posted, it looks to be a promising game

The environment looks really good.

Keep up the good work

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »

The fact that this game is openworld makes me very excited, and not in the wrong way

I couldn't play the game, the FPS was too low on my system

But from the screenshots and what you posted, it looks to be a promising game

The environment looks really good.

Keep up the good work

Sorry to hear about the low fps, what kind of GPU do you have? I might put up a new build soon so you can test =), but I doubt its faster.

Working hard to make it more epic, but still in need of art.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:37:43 AM by dvoid » Logged

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »

Finally some shadows! and a new starbox (the outer most skybox showing stars, we use several layers of skyboxes + planet geometry + clouds etc to build up the sky )
Could you elaborate this, please?

Yeah.
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »

The sky in Tolroko is dynamic , we have day/night cycles , moving planets and clouds.
The sky is rendered using a different scene then the actual gameworld, this is to avoid problems with ZFighting with the very large distances we would need if we did not.The camera is standing still,but uses the same rotation as the world camera, this way we don't need huge distances at all, the planets are not much bigger then a beach balls but close to the camera. We render the world camera on top of the output from the skycamera (but we clear the depth buffer).

It is composited using multiple layers.
1: the outer most is a "sky"-box showing space + stars and galaxys, generated by a nice tool a friend found.
2: Planets, a few planets that rotates and (not yet) move around in space, this gives the space more depth and less flat feel ( compared to just a skybox ).
3: Atmosphere, this is a transparent skybox with a gradient. I tint this thing bluish,and the alpha changes during the day-night cycle, at night its its almost 100% transparent.
4: Inner atmosphere/distancefog thingy. this is also a transparent gradient though much lower on the horizon, It is tinted dynamically during the day/night cycle to give some mood during the night etc.
The distance fog in the game has the same color as this,so the fadeout looks nice.

Thats pretty much it.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

This looks like it could shape up into something really nice. A sort of planet-bound Elite? I've been dreaming about a game like that for almost thirty years...

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

This looks like it could shape up into something really nice. A sort of planet-bound Elite?

yea exactly what i have in mind. Would also like to put some creative stuff in there, maybe build your own secret hideout or something ( everybody seems to like building stuff now a days )

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »

Im taking my new flyer in over a small settlement. Now to land and find a merchant to trade my goods ( too bad i haven't implemented any merchants yet )

fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

This is an awesome idea. I'm a huge fan of the books.
In a former life i concepted and pitched a JC themed roguelike.
I'm insanely jealous you have this project on the go.

Goodluck!

will there be a mac client?

thanks

sean
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

This is an awesome idea. I'm a huge fan of the books.
In a former life i concepted and pitched a JC themed roguelike.
I'm insanely jealous you have this project on the go.

=) Thanks!

will there be a mac client?
We dont have it running on mac atm (though there has been some work done on porting it), if we ever get Tolroko to the stage of a playable & fun game, im sure we will do a mac release.

Nix
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »

The terrain rendering is superb. Do you happen to have any links to articles about what you did to get that effect? Or would you be willing to describe it briefly?
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 04:45:37 AM »

The terrain rendering is superb. Do you happen to have any links to articles about what you did to get that effect? Or would you be willing to describe it briefly?

Exactly what part of the terrain rendering are you referring to? its just a simple heightmap, the height values are generated from some fairly standard fractal patterns, like FBM and RidgedMultifractal . And then textured depending on the normal of the terrain i.e. rocks texture when tilting more then X degrees, rubble when tilting Y dgrees , and sand otherwise.

Nix
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:20 AM »

There is something peculiar about how it looks that goes beyond the geometry and texturing. I can't quite place what it is though.
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:06 AM »

There is something peculiar about how it looks that goes beyond the geometry and texturing. I can't quite place what it is though.

sounds ...somewhat scary =D  Epileptic

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »

IIIIITSSS build time!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/tolroko-0.14.exe

this new release contains:
* more awesome view distance
* flyable flyer ( it spawns near your spawnpoint, so keep an eye out for it)
* random "cities" with strange creatures walking around
* lots of other things im sure

Nix
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 11:07:22 PM »

That indescribable quality of the rendering is visible

too.
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

That indescribable quality of the rendering is visible

too.

That looks awesome, but i dont see the resemblance =D...more then that is looks awesome Wink

Nix
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

It's actually only that first screenshot that has it Sad

Oh well, I'll stop obsessing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic