Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:50:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173747 times)
bluecollarart
Level 0

Every game deserves a look.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

The girl in episode two sounds like she's patronizing me. I also hate how she's telling me things look fun. Let me decide on my own Sad

I'll definitely pass the feedback on to her. We lost our last host at the last minute, so the new one (Jade) didn't get much preperation. She'll get better with more practice. Smiley

As for the "it looks fun" stuff, that's all on me, since I do the writing for the episodes. The script for that episode was made up of website posts I'd written. That's probably why it has that problem. You're right, though. It doesn't make sense to tell people what to think of the game if they're already watching it! I'll work on that next time.

Episode #3 recently went up, and this time I wrote a new script for the episode. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one. We finished off our game jam coverage in this episode, so next time we'll be getting to some bigger indie games.

To be honest, episode two & three were filmed in a rush so we'd have more to show for our Kickstarter. We'll definitely do a better job on future episodes.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 19, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

[in adam jensen voice] the year is 2025. it is literally impossible for man to do anything without kickstarter. it is an age of wonder, and also it is about 11am now and the funds cleared so those guys should be arriving to carry me to the bathroom now. speak to you in a bit.
forwardresent
« Reply #1042 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »

Apart from what Poe mentioned above, my first impression was 'Oh God why dubstep intro why'. Then, 'Wow I'm really not excited by any of these games.' (Bar Anodyne and Starbound in episode 1, but they're on PC.)

The more I hear about the OUYA the less I care.

Although I also really don't like Felicia Day but she's everywhere so maybe it's just me.

I like the holographic sticker, that's neat. If this goes ahead make business cards like that.
bluecollarart
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1043 on: March 19, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

Then, 'Wow I'm really not excited by any of these games.'

Hah, I'd be surprised if you were! They were all created in just a few days for a game jam, after all.

I like the holographic sticker, that's neat. If this goes ahead make business cards like that.

Now that is a very cool idea. I wish I had time to do this for PAX.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:03 AM »

I like the bumbers in the videos, after a few moments I decided to check the youtube channel instead of your site; I couldn't find episode 2 on the site and generally felt I wasn't finding all there was.

And I personally don't like the whole -let's get a babe to present our nerdy thing- thing. But I can see how you would believe for a mass market market that might be the way to go.
I doubt it though.
It feels like a too simple marketing idea. cheapily marketed at geeks. and too corporate.

If you are thinking about what to say and writing the script  why can't you say it also present it ?  
Are you such a monster to look at ?

for example check this company that lives of it's geeky screencast and tutorial videos http://www.codeschool.com/code_tv
forwardresent
« Reply #1045 on: March 20, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »

And I personally don't like the whole -let's get a babe to present our nerdy thing- thing.

I can never quite explain this, but it feels kind of dirty because you know it's a corporate thing a la 'booth babes'. It's the 'Chobot Effect'. Which needs to be a movie. Now.
bluecollarart
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »

If you are thinking about what to say and writing the script  why can't you say it also present it ? 
Are you such a monster to look at ?

I do plan on doing some YouTube stuff for the channel, too. But the main series is actually shot in a studio to keep it high quality, and I live on the other side of the country, haha.

I actually do conduct interviews, though. You can view the most recent one here:

As you can see, I'm still working on my hosting skills. Wink
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1047 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »

And now the thread shall be about a youtube channel.

poe
« Reply #1048 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »

Yeah fair enough man, but keep working on it because I can tell you're passionate about the subject. The quality of the webcam is a bit off putting as well but whatever, probably more important that the audio is good.
feminazi
« Reply #1049 on: March 20, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

who fucking cares who's talking in a video
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: March 21, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »

who fucking cares who's talking in a video
this is the new reality of the unconsole. our old ways and words have no meaning anymore. children no longer hug their mothers. there is only kickstarter.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »

[in adam jensen voice]

It's always the little details that make a Superb Joe post.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:24 AM »

synthesiser music fills the air, it sounds like john carpenter fucked kate bush and the baby came out retarded, a swirling mass of people, all wearing identical sunglasses, dart hither and thither in the great marble reception. nobody speaks, and nobody listens. they are all deaf to each percussive step on the polished floor, and the bad synthesiser music that permeates the aether.

we are not sure what our purpose is, we copy one another, a great herd, and give off the appearance of life. but we are dead. we have backed the ouya, we have embraced its iconoclastic principles and torn down the temples of our old gods. we look now to uhrman and the masters of the universe. surely, the games will come.
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: March 21, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »

Ugh.  Just watched that SXSW vid.  Wow, completely off putting.

In response to concerns about extracting the OUYA ROM and flashing it on a phone or other device:

Quote from: @22:35
OUYA's a controlled environment.
Every piece of content that you will buy and download needs to have -- you, know -- is behind the server; Needs server authentication.
We're doing other tools.

We will be as secure as other Android devices (which probably doesn't make everybody that thrilled), but I think we will be more, as well.

Translation: Pay To Win + Always Online DRM == OUYA!

But it's the ecosystem, it's the developers that are coming.  We've got Exclusive Content that you're not going to find anywhere else.
[cites two games that will be coming to OUYA, not necessarily exclusives.]

I mean, there's some real excitement and momentum behind this open game console.  That is the momentum that we're just trying to keep leveraging and delivering on.

Ah, so you're "leveraging" the hype for all its worth then?  Great plan.  What happens when you ride a wave of momentum and excitement is that the wave crests eventually...

So, it's open, but it's a controlled ecosystem?  Hmmm, isn't it impossible to "control" that which is "open"?  Sounds like it's just an App store with always on DRM to me.   

I just want to put a $0.99 price tag on my game and just distribute & sell that, but I can't on OUYA.  I have to devalue the game with a free demo that I'll have to waste time (money) creating.  How is this giving me the freedom to choose how I sell my game?  Sounds like taking away some choices to me.

Quote from: earlier
[Holds up a dev unit]
There is NOTHING special about this board!

Yep, It's just an app store plus DRM non-features, minus the prime benefit of an app store since OUYA won't host my "full version" data, I have to do that myself... Why am I giving them a cut then?  Advertising?  The opportunity to be in their app store?  I mean, if it's so "open" and "hackable" then folks can just sideload my games from my website then, and I get 100% of the profit -- OR, add another App Store to the OUYA that'll host my full version files for me -- you know, like ALL the other ones.

I really hope I'm just misunderstanding the ramblings of a crazy woman.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:06:56 PM by VortexCortex » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: March 22, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »

OUYA's content coming at you from 55 different schools of thought on how the platform is going to work!
Catch it. 2013.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 27, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

well folks, this thing is supposed to ship tomorrow and nobody has even seen a picture of a single final unit: lol
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »

hello all, just wanted to advertise my kickstarter here. my idea is a beatles tribute band composed of actual beetles, which will run on ouya (i will place the beetles on top of an ouya and poke them with matchsticks)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »

will they have haircuts ? if yes; what are the tiers ?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

Ouya ready for this?!

(Yeah, I should be their marketing campaign manager)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 28, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »

O-Day, the day that changed our lives forever. There I was, a college-aged male doing college-aged things - wiping the sweat off my balls with my hands, sniffing it, and then describing the aroma to facebook, twitter, or some combination of the two - then it happened. It was so gentle at first as to be imperceptible. Then the gentle rolling of the Earth made me feel the familiar safety of childhood, the embrace of my lost mother, and the torrent of emotions intertwined with this. It grew more violent. Soon children were crying, buildings shaking, shards of glass, dangerous and beautiful, raining to the ground with a mellifluous tinkling chatter. What once I thought were cobbles breathed with the spark of life, Jelly Bean I'm told reliably, and began to avail themselves of the air. The small rounded cubes on which I'd trodden for all of my ambulatory life were in revolt, they were no longer to be dismissed underfoot, the world is changing, now they crowd me into a corner and demand I pay 99 cents for Angry Birds. Now I am the impassive stone beneath the feet of the mechanical overclass, now I serve only the soles of the soldiers marching with designs on ousting our old values. This world is upside down. I no longer fear death. Pressed down into a great human lattice, I hear wails, lamentations, odes to a life long lost. But amongst them I hear supportive whisperings, those who had wanted this, who had hoped for this day. "Keep an eye on your inbox! The first @playouya shipment is en route and a steady flow will ship for the next several weeks," they intone. Perhaps I am already dead inside, and await a second, more permanent death.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic