Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:32:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175317 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

At least a potato has good content.  Cool

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 11, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »

I'm glad with potatoes, Was just an idea of what was possible, not a way to compare it with xbox. A lot of games are fine on 3DS so it give an approximate performance target, even if texture fillrate seems weaker.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »

Confirmed Potato launch titles:

Super Mash Brothers

Chip Ops 2

Potato Gear Salad

Grand Fried Tato

Confirmed on IGN

Some pretty big names but I still don't know if it's worth the 5$ price tag.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1163 on: April 11, 2013, 01:54:35 AM »

Confirmed Potato launch titles:

Super Mash Brothers

Chip Ops 2

Potato Gear Salad

Grand Fried Tato

Confirmed on IGN

Some pretty big names but I still don't know if it's worth the 5$ price tag.

GoldenFry 007 HD

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: April 11, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »

Is it really so awful that poor people get to play video games too?
I hope for your sake this is a bad joke and not an actual thought that you had in your brain.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:15 AM »

if you're poor and want to play some games a cheap pc is much better value for money. you could also get a PSP for $99
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:10 AM »

that was kind of the point: the idea that the ouya would be the only alternative, or even a good alternative, for someone on a tight budget out to play video games is hilariously out of touch with everything.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1167 on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:24 AM »

if you're poor and want to play some games a cheap pc is much better value for money. you could also get a PSP for $99

A cheap PC that can run mid-tier games would run no less than $300. And that's if you built it yourself. If you purchased it pre-built it would be in the $500 - $600 range. If you purchased a pre-built rig that was actually targeted at gaming, you would probably have to spend around $1000. Bump up all of those prices by $500 if you wanted an equivalent laptop. PC gaming has, and always will be, a luxury. There are quite a few more performance-friendly titles these days, largely thanks to indie development. But PC hardware is still not down to the $100 range.

And the PSP is not a good example. The 3000 model hardware may be $100 now, but the availability of games for the handheld has dwindled to nothing. Even GameStop has slashed their selection of PSP titles to little more than bargain-bin fodder. (the crap no one wants) And Memory sticks have grown very scarce. (they have fallen out of favor in the photography industry) The average consumer looking to get into the PSP is going to have a hard time finding physical games, or the memory necessary to take advantage of digital games.

A much better example would have been the DSi. It's also going for $100 these days, and DS games still have a significant retail presence.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:01 AM »

Is it really so awful that poor people get to play video games too?
I hope for your sake this is a bad joke and not an actual thought that you had in your brain.

<insert snarky scenario involving homeless people working in sweatshops here>

So yeah, I think that a lot of the flak that the Ouya is getting is primarily a class thing. There seems to be a rather large, vocal group of "hardcore gamers" that want to put velvet ropes around the hobby with metered signs that read: "you much be at least this hardcore in order to ride."

It's a bullshit attitude and it needs to seriously fuckin' go. You have your PS4 and Xbox 4320, who gives a shit what anyone else has. Or are you just worried that everyone else will go to the poor kids play ground and leave you all alone with your rich kid toys?

that was kind of the point: the idea that the ouya would be the only alternative, or even a good alternative, for someone on a tight budget out to play video games is hilariously out of touch with everything.

Am I out of touch? Have you seen non-gamers playing a shitty game on the Nintendo Wii lately? I have. Despite the fact that gaming is big and gaming culture is growing, the number of people that identify themselves as gamers is nothing compared to people that don't. And non-gamers are generally people that don't have time or money for (in there eyess) this kind of childish garbage. Funny thing though, you drop the console price to around $150 and provide games for $20 or less, they'll buy it. What's more, they'll enjoy it too. You are not everyone. And everyone doesn't have to like / dislike all the things that you do.

A much better example would have been the DSi. It's also going for $100 these days, and DS games still have a significant retail presence.

It also fits in an alleyway piano crate a lot easier. 'Course you have to keep it hidden all the time. Crazy Phred, who lives two dumpsters down, has a bad meth habit and might shank you for it so's he can pawn it.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1169 on: April 11, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

I know all about being poor and liking video games, and a PC provides you with so many more options than some gimmick budget console with no real games could ever do. Nothing's going to even come close (should I really have to explain why?).
Building an OK five year old level one from used parts can cost you anywhere from a hundred dollars to nothing.

A last gen handheld is good too if you really need to play things non-stationary.

If you're really dying to conveniently play games on your TV with a controller, then your best option right now it probably to get a PS2. They're dirt cheap even if you buy a brand new one, and has a great collection of games that still hold up.

Gaming is primarily a middle class hobby for sure, but the idea of a budget console with worse games for the poor as a solution to that is insulting more than anything.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: April 11, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »

JScythe, you're looking like a pretty obvious shill coming up with all sorts of ridiculous strawman arguments like us being elitist and not wanting gaming to catch on.  But check this out .. gaming already has caught on outside of the hardcore crowd, and it happened years and years ago.  So that argument isn't going to get you anywhere.

The reason Ouya gets so much flack around here is it has quality issues and is clearly being rushed to meet a deadline, while it's lineup of games is hardly different from what you'd find on the Android app store.

(Also posts like this are making it look like you just crawled out of some internet shithole to troll here http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27062.msg873735#msg873735)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 11, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

JScythe, you're a fucking moron.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »

At least put more effort into your anti-gaming establishment posts.

Let them eat cake.

Kill the bourgeoisie.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »

you can get pc's for less than $300, even pre-made. just use craigslist. i've gotten tons of great computers for 100-150 on there. they are more than capable of mid-tier games; they can run modern games on low settings

also, the reason pc is better for games if you are on a budget is because the pc has a ton of free games, and cheap games (e.g. steam sales). consoles typically have $60 games. so even if you save money on a console vs a pc, you're going to wind up paying extra money for the games, because they're so much more expensive than pc games

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 11, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »

I know all about being poor and liking video games, and a PC provides you with so many more options than some gimmick budget console with no real games could ever do. Nothing's going to even come close (should I really have to explain why?).
Building an OK five year old level one from used parts can cost you anywhere from a hundred dollars to nothing.
yup. even a cheap pre-built pc can usually run a ton of gams just fine.

also the pc is actually the prevalent gaming platform in most "poorer" countries, so the idea that pc gaming is a niche hobby for rich nerds is kinda bizarre lol. there's more to playing games on a pc than the witcher 2 at max settings or w/e

oh btw, forgot to respond to this bit by richard kain
And the PSP is not a good example. The 3000 model hardware may be $100 now, but the availability of games for the handheld has dwindled to nothing. Even GameStop has slashed their selection of PSP titles to little more than bargain-bin fodder.
you can buy most good psp games on psn these days. regardless tho, gamestop doesn't even exist where i live and you can still buy plenty of psp games everywhere. there are other countries than the US.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:32:57 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 11, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

JScythe, I don't like how you state that only poor people would be stupid enough to buy an Ouya. That is the most classist argument in this thread.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 11, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »

another thing
Am I out of touch? Have you seen non-gamers playing a shitty game on the Nintendo Wii lately?
no but i've seen plenty of "non-gamers" play casual gams on smartphones and facebook

And non-gamers are generally people that don't have time or money for (in there eyess) this kind of childish garbage.
then why would they shell out for a box made for childish garbage in the first place and not just play games on devices they already have?
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

So yeah, I think that a lot of the flak that the Ouya is getting is primarily a class thing. There seems to be a rather large, vocal group of "hardcore gamers" that want to put velvet ropes around the hobby with metered signs that read: "you much be at least this hardcore in order to ride."
Nope. My income is virtually nothing and I buy games.

It's a bullshit attitude and it needs to seriously fuckin' go. You have your PS4 and Xbox 4320, who gives a shit what anyone else has. Or are you just worried that everyone else will go to the poor kids play ground and leave you all alone with your rich kid toys?
No, fuck you instead. As people have said above, PC or handheld would be a far better investments than an Ouya. Hell, when your PS4 or NextBox come out, the last cycles' consoles will run you the same price as an Ouya on Craigslist. I recommend a PS3 or 360 over Ouya.

Am I out of touch? Have you seen non-gamers playing a shitty game on the Nintendo Wii lately? I have. Despite the fact that gaming is big and gaming culture is growing, the number of people that identify themselves as gamers is nothing compared to people that don't. And non-gamers are generally people that don't have time or money for (in there eyess) this kind of childish garbage. Funny thing though, you drop the console price to around $150 and provide games for $20 or less, they'll buy it. What's more, they'll enjoy it too. You are not
everyone. And everyone doesn't have to like / dislike all the things that you do.
Alright, then get a Wii dev kit from Nintendo and start making games for the Wii eShop. The install base is there, right?  Giggle

It also fits in an alleyway piano crate a lot easier. 'Course you have to keep it hidden all the time. Crazy Phred, who lives two dumpsters down, has a bad meth habit and might shank you for it so's he can pawn it.

Whoa.
Well, by that argument, they shouldn't be buying videogames at all. Videogames, movies, an record players are a luxury to the homeless. This is the reason Indecom had to stop working on miniFlake with me. Homelessness.

Get bent JScythe.

A last gen handheld is good too if you really need to play things non-stationary.

If you're really dying to conveniently play games on your TV with a controller, then your best option right now it probably to get a PS2. They're dirt cheap even if you buy a brand new one, and has a great collection of games that still hold up.

Gaming is primarily a middle class hobby for sure, but the idea of a budget console with worse games for the poor as a solution to that is insulting more than anything.

This.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:11:20 AM by Ouren » Logged

JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 11, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

JScythe, you're looking like a pretty obvious shill coming up with all sorts of ridiculous strawman arguments like us being elitist and not wanting gaming to catch on.  But check this out .. gaming already has caught on outside of the hardcore crowd, and it happened years and years ago.  So that argument isn't going to get you anywhere.

The reason Ouya gets so much flack around here is it has quality issues and is clearly being rushed to meet a deadline, while it's lineup of games is hardly different from what you'd find on the Android app store.

(Also posts like this are making it look like you just crawled out of some internet shithole to troll here http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27062.msg873735#msg873735)

Shill? No, not at all.

<WARNING: Long post ahead!>

Blink Look. I was just as skeptical as everyone else here. To an extent, I still am. The control lag and build quality is still a major concern for me. But I have to say that this device does serve up some things that I would greatly appreciate. At $100, I don't have anything to lose by purchasing one. By that same token, I have nothing to gain or lose from the machine failing either. It's the people that have a huge woody for the machine to tank in the market that confuses and annoys me.

I realize that part of the "joy" of internet forums is the flame war, but I sense some real venom behind some of the more ignorant comments. These people sound like the Ouya is a sign of the coming end of days. OH NOES!!11111! SUMWON H4S STUK A SEL FONE IN A POST-IT NOTE HOLDER!!! ZOMG!!!! Seriously? I mean, seriously?

BTW, I also find it kind of funny to be called a shill. Does this thing really need shilling? The Ouya only needs to move about a million units in order to gain traction. At it's current price point, selling a million units isn't just possible. It's inevitable. I'm thinking that we'll probably start seeing Ouyas on the shelves at Wal Mart around October or November. Once that happens they'll be everywhere.

Will this destroy the current industry? I doubt it. Will this change a single thing for "hardcore" gamers. Nope. I haven't made any plans to cancel my upcoming PC overhaul. I haven't sold my Xbox 360, PSP, or Nintendo DS in anticipation of the coming revolution. I'm still putting money aside to purchase the PS4 when it comes out. The only thing that has changed is that I've backup my android emulators and Splashtop 2 to removable storage. The Ouya is basically going to be an impulse purchase when I see it on a store shelf and am suddenly reminded that it's a thing.

The game lineup is going to be a problem until there are enough units out in the wild. Hell, the game lineup is going to be a problem as long as the bar to entry is effectively zero. There's going to be *a lot* of shovelware on this thing. Nonetheless, I don't think that's going to stop anyone from buying it. I don't think that's going to stop anyone from buying it because it isn't really just about games. Not to the average consumer anyway. Maybe explaining why I'm buying it will help

I like my life to be compartmentalized. When I'm in my office, I'm in work mode. When I'm in my living room, I'm in chillax mode. Having my PC in the living room breaks that compartmentalized system and I get nothing done. Thing is, I really like playing PC games. I'm not going to pay for a second PC for my living room. So having a little box that plays Netflix, Onlive, emulators, and streams content from my PC over Wifi fits my needs perfectly. I can't do remote desktop with a Playstation 4 or Xbox Silverado. Basically, I want a Roku box that plays games other than Angry Birds. I'm thinking that a lot of other people want that too.

Oh and AppleTV won't work because it will probably only remote into Macs and I fucking hate Macs  Angry I don't care if you like them. I don't so I'm not going to own one.

See what I did there. I just stated my preference and left it at that. I didn't trash on the Mac. I didn't tell other people that they were morons for wanting a Mac. I didn't talk about how much better the PC is than the Mac. I just said I wouldn't own one and moved on. If someone were to ask why, I would answer them and move on. I'm secure enough in my own opinions to let that stand.

I bring up the class thing because it's really the only reason I can come up with for why some of the haters are so utterly passionate in their dismissal of a device that is a (complete) non-issue. The Ouya will not affect these people in any way, shape, or form. It's like listening to some hillbilly in an all white town trash on African-Americans despite having never met one or ever having a remote possibility of encountering one. It's not a problem for you. let it go.  Crazy

<ahem>

As far as the jab about trolling, there's a reason why I generally try to stay away from internet forums. It's hard for me to sleep when I KNOW that someone is wrong on the internet. I have a problem. I knew that, and I posted in this thread anyway. I'm sorry.

EDITED FOR SPELLING

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »

At $100, I don't have anything to lose by purchasing one. By that same token, I have nothing to gain or lose from the machine failing either.

After all your bullshit about classism, you argue that blowing $100 on some toy is nothing? Man, you are a fucking dumbass.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic