Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:16:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173769 times)
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: April 11, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

Developers won't make enough money to do anything meaningful with. That's the issue here bubs.

#gettingTheThreadBackOnTopic

Thank you Bill Gates. Since when has profit defined the "meaningfulness" of anything? My memory may be short, but I do recall some games that were damn profitable that didn't contribute jack to the evolution of gamins as a whole. I can think of an almost endless list of good games that didn't sell and shaped the way that games were played for years to to come. And then there were those games that had great concepts but were never built upon because they just didn't make money. Yeah, I'm talking about games like "M.U.L.E." and "A Boy and His Blob" and "Metal Storm." Although to be fair VVVVV is pretty much the pinnacle of what "Metal Storm" started.

<...>

The point is that money is only one way to keep score and innovation isn't always rewarded with money. If the only reason you're making games is to make money then you should probably find something else to do. Actually, if the only reason you're doing a thing is to make money, then you should probably find something else to do.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »

You sure are making a lot of assumptions about my ambitions chief.  
Pretty fuggin' presumptuous. Tiger

Also, you took meaningful to mean artistic and groundbreaking, I mean it in terms of food and shelter.

I'm convinced that the type of attitude you have expressed in that one video is the same one you have here, and that's to say you're self-righteous, purposefully inflammatory, and imperious.

You don't get to dictate whether or not I get to make games, and for what reasons.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:08:20 PM by Ouren » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: April 11, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

Although to be fair VVVVV is pretty much the pinnacle of what "Metal Storm" started.

pffffffftahahahahaha

The point is that money is only one way to keep score and innovation isn't always rewarded with money. If the only reason you're making games is to make money then you should probably find something else to do. Actually, if the only reason you're doing a thing is to make money, then you should probably find something else to do.

No shit sherlock.  The issue isn't just money needed to live off of, it's also having your game on basically a failed platform nobody cares about.

For me, personally, I'd have to put a shit-ton of effort to port my games to Android/Ouya, and if it ended up being pointless I would be less than enthused.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:37:47 PM by Udderdude » Logged
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 11, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »

For me, personally, I'd have to put a shit-ton of effort to port my games to Android/Ouya, and if it ended up being pointless I would be less than enthused.

And no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to develop for it. No one is forcing you to port your work over to it. I'm not quite sure why you're acting as if someone is.

You sure are making a lot of assumptions about my ambitions chief. 
Pretty fuggin' presumptuous. Tiger

Just workin' with what you give me chief.

Also, you took meaningful to mean artistic and groundbreaking, I mean it in terms of food and shelter.

I'm convinced that the type of attitude you have expressed in that one video is the same one you have here, and that's to say you're self-righteous, purposefully inflammatory, and imperious.

Wait. Are you talking about my video reply to the dipshit that wanted to shoot down the PC by comparing old PCjr CGA games to the NES, or the reply that I made to the MRM video?

You don't get to dictate whether or not I get to make games, and for what reasons.

Hello pot. I'd like you to meet my good friend kettle.

As I said above. No one is forcing you to make content for the Ouya. By that same token you seem absolutely offended that anyone else would want to purchase an Ouya, let alone make games for it.

You also don't get to dictate whether or not someone else makes games for the Ouya or for what reasons.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1204 on: April 11, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »

No shit sherlock.  The issue isn't just money needed to live off of, it's also having your game on basically a failed platform nobody cares about.

Like any number of hardware platforms backed by major corporations that have failed miserably over the years? Being sponsored by a major company is no guarantee of success. The same complaints you are leveling at a console that hasn't even been released to general consumers applies equally to consoles like the Wii U, and handhelds like the Vita. There are many developers that are making the same claims right now, afraid to develop games for these platforms.

The kind of risk you are citing is universal in the games industry, and always has been. It's pointless to single out the OUYA for risk aversion. There are no guarantees in an industry this fickle.

At the end of the day, all of this animosity boils down to misguided angst against the perception of "casual" gaming.
Benjamin385
« Reply #1205 on: April 11, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »

Hey,

Just thought I would chime in on this.

First you got to remember the OUYA is not done yet. The Hardware is final but the firmware/software side is not. Calling it a failed console is not fair as the actual release is 2 months away.

Are there rough spots - yeah.
Are there areas that they can improve - Yeah!
As for the shipping issues/Delays - As far as I know There was a major Chinese holiday that took place. So production may take time to scale up.

As for the craftsmanship of the OUYA - I cannot say. I did not order mine yet. But I do expect them to have everything worked out by launch.

As for games - You build it they will come. As long as the OUYA has a library of awesome games and the price is right. Which I think that it is. I think that it has the possibility to blow the competition out of the water Smiley

Will there be crappy games - Yeah.
Will there be games the out shine others - Of course.

Speaking of competition and risk aversion.

The OUYA was mostly funded by the people who wanted to see this happen - The Fans and The Developers. From what I seen OUYA has not really paid a cent other than what they have already spent on the console before the KickStarter.

PlayStation, Xbox and <Insert Nintendo Consoles Here> were funded through venture capital by wealthy people who wanted to turn a profit from video games and hardware.

Only thing that OUYA really needs to do it make a great product with the money that the fans have put forth.

In closing -

I personally think that the OUYA will have a bigger impact on games that the games and Games Development on the OUYA.

BTW - I am a very avid fan of the OUYA!

// End Rant
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:01:55 PM by Benjamin385 » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »

I recall most of the same arguments being leveled against the DS, and the Wii after it. When they announced the name of the Wii, I was one of the only people who thought it was a good idea. The vast majority of video game pundits believed it was concrete proof that the Wii was doomed for failure.

and against the virtual boy, gizmondo, cd-i, atari jaguar, n-gage, etc. too -- saying that predictions about a console's failure have been wrong in the past doesn't mean that they also haven't been right in the past

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »

So long thread short, time will tell, nobody knows, let's see what happens, I am curious?
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »

Thought this was relevant.

http://brentalflossthecomic.com/?id=156

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:01 AM »

PlayStation, Xbox and <Insert Nintendo Consoles Here> were funded through venture capital by wealthy people who wanted to turn a profit from video games and hardware.

They were not funded through "venture capital". They were products of companies that were already successful with other products.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 12, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »

I recall most of the same arguments being leveled against the DS, and the Wii after it. When they announced the name of the Wii, I was one of the only people who thought it was a good idea. The vast majority of video game pundits believed it was concrete proof that the Wii was doomed for failure.

and against the virtual boy, gizmondo, cd-i, atari jaguar, n-gage, etc. too -- saying that predictions about a console's failure have been wrong in the past doesn't mean that they also haven't been right in the past
oh boy, i remember when the n-gage was new and people called it a "gba killer" lol

otoh i guess the difference between those consoles and the ouya is that they were more expensive and higher end products than the competition (not sure about gizmondo)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 12, 2013, 05:14:41 AM »

Also, all of those consoles were unique or crippled in some way that made it difficult to make games for (except the gizmondo really, it had gps and other weird shit for the day but I don't think games had to use it)
The ouya is an android device which should be easy to program
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:22:41 AM by s_l_m » Logged

Think happy thoughts.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: April 12, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »

Thought this was relevant.

http://brentalflossthecomic.com/?id=156

This is what Ouya fanboys actually believe.

Seriously, someone puts the slightest bit of resistance on the Ouya hype train and it's like the fucking world is ending.  Not everyone is going to be singing the thing's praises.  Get over it.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

I'm going to apologize in advance for this rant.

Why doesn't anyone bring up the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn or Turbografx 16 in these lists? Oh... Right.... You want machines that look like obvious failures in hindsight. Including machines that did everything right and still failed would undermine your point.

<jesus jumped up christ!>
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

Wasn't the Saturn a bitch to program for? Also, you forgot the dreamcast.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »

A lot of consoles are a bitch to program for.

Making a console, or any platform for that matter, easy to develop for is something that has to be designed in from the start.

If the hardware designer has other goals in mind (i.e. making it easy for the company to port its own arcade games to the console as in Sega's case), that can have a negative affect on its third party support, which, historically, seems to be a main determining factor in a console's success.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1216 on: April 12, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »

I'm going to apologize in advance for this rant.

Why doesn't anyone bring up the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn or Turbografx 16 in these lists? Oh... Right.... You want machines that look like obvious failures in hindsight. Including machines that did everything right and still failed would undermine your point.

<jesus jumped up christ!>

i do not consider the consoles you mention to have failed. if ouya sells anywhere near the levels of the saturn, master system, or turbografx 16, i'd consider it a success

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1217 on: April 12, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

A lot of consoles are a bitch to program for.

Making a console, or any platform for that matter, easy to develop for is something that has to be designed in from the start.

If the hardware designer has other goals in mind (i.e. making it easy for the company to port its own arcade games to the console as in Sega's case), that can have a negative affect on its third party support, which, historically, seems to be a main determining factor in a console's success.

the atari 2600, the ps2, and the ps3, were all also notoriously difficult to program for. yet they were all very successful. i don't think difficulty to program for is the only factor, or even the main factor

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

i've already taken my shirt off and will fight to clear the master system's name
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »

i've already taken my shirt off and will fight to clear the master system's name

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic