Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:16:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175312 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: May 09, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

Let's disassemble an Ouya! :O

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Ouya+Teardown/14224/
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 09, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »

I'm looking forward to the first Ouya showing up in the mail so that we can finally answer the question that started this all: Ouya - New Game Console?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »

Who here has ordered one?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »

Who here has ordered one?
I was a day 1 backer (international, two controllers, backer no #12,xxx). No 'your Ouya has been sent' e-mail yet.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 10, 2013, 03:33:01 AM »

I was near the end of day one I think. as mentioned above I got the email yesterday. Also I am an international backer.

Think happy thoughts.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: May 10, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »

I am still waiting for my shipping notification. I am a little torn on that. On the one hand, I want an OUYA as quickly as possible. I have all sorts of ideas for prototyping out console-control focused games, and I want to test those ideas on the OUYA.

On the other hand, I can start development on some of those ideas by plugging a controller into any of my PCs. And the longer they wait to ship my OUYA out, the closer that OUYA's hardware will be to the final retail release models. (which will theoretically make it better for development)

So for the time being, I am patient. It helps that I'm so busy at the moment.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »

As much shit talk as I do about the Ouya, it'll be lovely for you developers to target specific hardware for once, rather than windows (with all their random videocards) or ALL ANDROID DEVICES WITH THEIR RANDOM SHIT RESOLUTIONS AND ASPECT RATIOS.

Console development is super nice. Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1287 on: May 10, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »

One new Ouya per year .. Crazy

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=909507#p909507

This is one of the latest gifts from the SA Ouya thread:

For those not up-to-date, the "O" is a plot of the analog stick's registered movement coordinates, the "U" is a poke at the weekly MS Paint graphs, the "Y" references the Y button's tendency to get stuck under the controller faceplate, and the "A" is a portrait of hopeful flagship title Visorman.

It's glorious.

Apparently the problem with the deadzone is with the controller itself; if you swap in a non-Ouya analog controller, it works fine.

Ouya - Non-shit controllers not included .. D:
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1288 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

One new Ouya per year .. Crazy

Oh, that's obnoxious. Sad

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 23, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »

My tracking number is live, it's in Hong Kong right now

Think happy thoughts.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »

Someone posted their impressions of their Ouya on another forum.  I would quote it here, but it's quite long and he seems to be planning to update the post with more testing.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=914114#p914114
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »

I've gotten my e-mail indicating that my OUYA has been produced and will be shipping soon. I opted for a second controller, as I specifically wanted to experiment with local multiplayer options. I also tested the Android exporting for Unity yesterday on my cel phone. Worked like a charm. I'm going to be doing some more experimenting over the long weekend, including following the current available Unity-OUYA tutorials.

I've learned enough Unity development that I feel comfortable cooking up a top-down zelda-style adventure game. I also have an idea for a Wizardry-sytle RPG that will use the OUYA in conjunction with smartphones.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »

Mine is on the move now  Smiley
Btw I am planning to make a list of benchmarks. I am planning to try the unity 3rd person shooter example and shadowgun for starters. If any of y'all are developing for android and want to see what it would run like on ouya hit me with a message and I will test it.

Think happy thoughts.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

As much shit talk as I do about the Ouya, it'll be lovely for you developers to target specific hardware for once, rather than windows (with all their random videocards) or ALL ANDROID DEVICES WITH THEIR RANDOM SHIT RESOLUTIONS AND ASPECT RATIOS.
Resolutions and aspect ratios can vary between tv's, too. So you better take it into account.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 24, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Resolutions and aspect ratios can vary between tv's, too. So you better take it into account.

Between whatever CRTs have, 1280x720 and 1920x1080. A lot fewer to take into account for now compared to the desktop and mobile handheld market.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: May 24, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »

Between whatever CRTs have, 1280x720 and 1920x1080. A lot fewer to take into account for now compared to the desktop and mobile handheld market.

One of the strengths of CRTs is the ability to switch to any number of supported resolutions, without any drop in picture quality. CRTs are variable resolution monitors, making them much more flexible for everything except contrast ratios.

But all of that is kind of moot anyway, since the OUYA only has an HDMI port. So you're basically just going to be targeting 720p or 1080p, widescreen aspect ratio. A few brave developers might try targeting a vertical aspect ratio. (which would be very good for vertical shooters) But by and large the resolutions and aspect ratios for the OUYA actually aren't going to be that diverse.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 28, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »

I am playing an Ouya.
I can confirm that it is a real product that actually exists.

Quick review:
Cons:
-The controller is pretty good except the back triggers are really uncomfortable.
-The menus seem a bit laggy.
-Some of the menu isn't skinned and pops up stock android messages. Which is weird.
-Game selection is shoddy. But of course it is still not in stores yet
-I have seen a few system error messages already, again I am going to take a "wait and see" attitude
-I experienced the stuck button problem once. Really fucked up my Canabalt run
-It's weird not having a start button
-We live in a world of injustice and pain
-Touch pad is a total POS, luckily nothing really uses it

Pros:
-You would really be surprised with how well some droid games translate to the big screen
-Quite a few emulators are available already, only tried the snes one so far but it works really well
-Except for the hind triggers, the controller is pretty neat
-While the system menus lag a bit, that is a problem with just the menus. The actual games have no controller delay
-Having twitch TV is pretty sweet. I am looking forward to watching some speed runs on the big screen

All in all, I would say it has the potential but it isn't there yet
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:13:55 PM by s_l_m » Logged

Think happy thoughts.
Uykered
« Reply #1297 on: May 28, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

Wouldn't the emulators be unusable when the latency for the controller is bad?
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »

-While the system menus lag a bit, that is a problem with just the menus. The actual games have no controller delay

Think happy thoughts.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1299 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »

It was probably mentioned many pages ago, but if I recall correctly, the controller lag was caused by software issues (I think mainly Unity games suffered from it due to inefficient controller handling in Ouya's Unity thing).
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic