Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:04:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175287 times)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 29, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »

The only game I have played in Unity so far had no problems that I could see with controller handling.

Think happy thoughts.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1301 on: May 29, 2013, 06:12:12 AM »

(I think mainly Unity games suffered from it due to inefficient controller handling in Ouya's Unity thing).

This could have been an issue with the 3.5 version of Unity. Last year Unity handed out some free licenses for its mobile exporters, but they were for the 3.5 version of the software. (the current version at the time) Some early OUYA Unity development was probably done using the older version of Unity to avoid paying the $150 upgrade fee.

If true, it shouldn't be an issue going forward, as the Android exporter for the latest version of Unity is now free.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1302 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »

(I think mainly Unity games suffered from it due to inefficient controller handling in Ouya's Unity thing).

This could have been an issue with the 3.5 version of Unity. Last year Unity handed out some free licenses for its mobile exporters, but they were for the 3.5 version of the software. (the current version at the time) Some early OUYA Unity development was probably done using the older version of Unity to avoid paying the $150 upgrade fee.

If true, it shouldn't be an issue going forward, as the Android exporter for the latest version of Unity is now free.
No, it was in the OUYA Unity SDK. Here's an old (January) update thread where they talk about controller issues a little.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

Lol. Just noticed that the OUYA page now has a "games on Ouya today" tab. It currently says 130.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »

I'm astounded that additional gamepads are $50 bucks each. You can get pretty much any other gamepad for less, and you'd be getting a much more solid, proven design that isn't gonna fall apart in your hands or have nasty issues. You'll miss out on the touchpad, but that's not going to be a big loss since I can't imagine multiplayer games are going to be using them, and you don't need one if you're playing alone for most games either.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: June 05, 2013, 06:23:05 AM »

I'm astounded that additional gamepads are $50 bucks each. You can get pretty much any other gamepad for less, and you'd be getting a much more solid, proven design that isn't gonna fall apart in your hands or have nasty issues. You'll miss out on the touchpad, but that's not going to be a big loss since I can't imagine multiplayer games are going to be using them, and you don't need one if you're playing alone for most games either.

Why the hell would the controllers cost half as much as the console?  Talk about a gouge.

Not that anyone would do that, like you said, the controllers suck and you can use other, non-crappy ones.  And screw touchscreen controllers.
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »

Early impressions I've read on this have mostly been mixed. Quite a few criticisms seem to be teething problems though. I'm trying to make up my mind whether to get one here in the UK where it will cost £100 on release, which is a bit steep.

But what do you think guys? From a dev perspective, I can see this going the way of XBLIG.

I mean I actually quite like XBLIG in a way, but basically a platform that's small-fry compared to others.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:25:38 AM by Colej_uk » Logged

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »

I'm not sure myself. I've read a lot of reviews where there were indeed people basically discounting the console and pointing out the (somewhat major, as far as I can tell) flaws, but being that it's really early in the console's life (and it is an independently created console), I could see the major issues being ironed out with time.

I wouldn't expect them to have major features like Friends lists or match-joining features really early in development, but since it's connected to the Internet, it can download updates to fix bugs and add features, which is great.

What it boils down to is games. As an example, the creator of TowerFall made it exclusive for Ouya so far (though it will come out elsewhere later). Apparently, it's a pretty good amount of fun. If there's enough good games, people will buy it. Games for Ouya will continue to get coverage on online game sites because it's interesting, and more and more exclusives will only push people toward the "Well, it's only $100" side of things.

The more people that buy it, the more of a foothold it'll get. More people buying it means more developers to make games for it, which makes it more of a target for development as a whole. That could mean more exclusives, which would further the reason to get an Ouya, and so on.

EDIT: Oh, I have no experience with selling games on portals myself, so I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure there's not enough Ouya purchasers to develop for it exclusively, but I could see this getting enough people to actually want to develop for exclusively (and make cash) in a few years.

chromex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1308 on: June 07, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »

So I finally received my Ouya today and got exactly what I wanted: a $99 media box with games.

While the menu could use improvement it certainly hasn't stopped me from accessing functionality and once I had the idea to plug in a keyboard dealing with typing in URLs to sideload apps was no longer troublesome. Not only are there some good couch games and single player games but they run well. I'm not going to call the Tegra 3 a beast but I've worked with the chipset professionally and its not a bad piece of hardware. Now I played a couple of games that didn't run well but had no apparent reason for doing so which I can only chalk up to insufficient testing with the device which I can hardly blame most developers for giving the release schedule. Additionally, after loading xmbc, netflix, youtube, and others, this thing is a nice and small player of all the things.

Going forward I hope people see it for what it is: a commodity box with the potential for an awesome indie presence, maybe some profit, and a media playing tool kit. And with luck, it'll take off and become a platform for something we haven't had in the west, a commodity console.

Follow my project at http://alchemyengine.com/
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1309 on: June 11, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

My Kickstarter unit has finally come in. I had opted for two controllers, which is part of the reason why I was at the tail end of the shipping quota. I haven't gotten a chance to really run it yet, I'll give more impressions after I've gotten a little more hands-on.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

So what was the deal with E3 calling the cops on the Ouya (not really at E3) display accross the street? If they rented the lot, they had a legal right to be there.

Or do you think that the whole thing was a PR stunt by Ouya?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1311 on: June 13, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »

Well, they're also outright lying, so what do you think?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1312 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »

So what was the deal with E3 calling the cops on the Ouya (not really at E3) display accross the street? If they rented the lot, they had a legal right to be there.

as far as i know, you can't rent "the parking lot". ouya was there without e3's permission

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: June 14, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »

Takin' it to THE MAN.  You don't own this parking lot!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »

what do you MEAN i'm too fat to fit through the door and my 11 year old daughter is too young to be permitted entry and you checked capcom usa and they definitely didn't schedule any interview time with huge fat guy and his daughters inc? *holds hand up as to stifle a response from security guard while tapping clumsily on a cellphone until bonnie tyler's "i need a hero" plays through a shitty tinny speaker*

*julie urhmann, dressed as the merchant from resident evil 4, opens a trenchcoat full of broken, expensive control pads*
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1315 on: June 14, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »

what do you MEAN i'm too fat to fit through the door
Yo, this is in USA, their doors must be extra size

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 14, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »

this lot is your lot

eagle.jpg
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1317 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »

as far as i know, you can't rent "the parking lot".

This really cracked me up.

EDIT: Just the way Paul phrased it and everything. Also, 'cause Paul.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:58:33 PM by Derek » Logged
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: June 15, 2013, 03:53:56 AM »

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

as far as i know, you can't rent "the parking lot". ouya was there without e3's permission
You can, and that's exactly what they did. The cops were called, but they left again because everything was in order from a legal standpoint.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1319 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

Yeah, they've since deleted the tweet. It was a picture of a dude and his two kids wearing Ouya t-shirts and the tweet said that the ESA and cops had denied them entrance to E3 because they were wearing Ouya shirts, when the truth of course is that no kids below 17 are allowed into E3.

EDIT: Somebody saved a screenshot:

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic