Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:32:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173772 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 11, 2012, 07:27:57 AM »

I imagine that I can queue games using a regular browser? Like I can click a link on your blog and next time I Ouya the download is going? I'd just have to quickly sign-in to an account. Be rad if I could use Facebook/gmail accounts.

(checking site now)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: November 11, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »

One last point before I bow out: it's not trying to compete with the next gen consoles. They wouldn't pop a Tegra 3 in there if they were.

Except that they've constantly been going on about how they're taking on the big three and sticking it to the man. Of course it won't compete with the big consoles, it's just slightly upsetting that the people behind it think it might...

I don't think they've said that (I'm not sure), but rather that they were trying to 'shake up the system', or something like that. I think the developers don't think that it will be more successful than the current consoles, but rather that it can be relatively cheap, not have astounding graphics, have an open market, and still do fairly well. If that's the case, then I could see them cementing the Ouya with each passing year into a slot in the marketplace and improve the console. If the Ouya does even remotely alright, it might warrant an Ouya 2, like GPH's handhelds did. If they keep backwards compatibility and allow you to transfer your account, then I could see a nice back catalog of games building up over time.

I imagine that I can queue games using a regular browser? Like I can click a link on your blog and next time I Ouya the download is going? I'd just have to quickly sign-in to an account. Be rad if I could use Facebook/gmail accounts.

(checking site now)

^ That would be very cool - they should allow that.

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »

*Other great comments*

If the Ouya does even remotely alright, it might warrant an Ouya 2, like GPH's handhelds did. If they keep backwards compatibility and allow you to transfer your account, then I could see a nice back catalog of games building up over time.

^ That would be very cool - they should allow that.

Seconded. Really, though, they would even need to do a refresh release. Since the thing is "hackable", they could just sell upgrade components if they wanted to.

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

Welp, it's looked like they've finished the dev consoles (I guess the early Ouyas for devs) and are shipping them out by December 28th. While they say that every console's a devkit, the early KickStarter ones are special for some reason. They say they're developing the dev kit as well.

Here's the link to the blog post.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: November 30, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

having their hands touching like that is pretty gay

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

It's not gay unless the palms touch.
kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #726 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:19 AM »

Whoa, there. Honestly, I didn't intend to spam; this thread seemed dead and I didn't want to bump it.

As for #myOuyaGame, I thought more TIG-folk would be in on this, and I didn't even include the link initially.

If it violates spam policy, please do away with the thread/post  Coffee

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 11, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

already deleted it.

reviving a dead thread is ok if there's some relevant new info.

if you didn't intend to spam that's fine, but you can't deny that starting a new discussion with a link to some twitter promotion thing for your game in the OP at least *looks* kinda spammy (especially if a thread about the subject already exists).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:51:46 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 11, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »

free to play games are generally always bad. a console with exclusively free to play games? no thanks.

Spelunky, Cavestory, Igi All free!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #729 on: December 11, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »

those are free games, which are vastly different from "free to play". which generally means a game with micro-transactions or some kind of restrictions on non-paying users.
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 11, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

Ah. I hate those. I'd much rather just pay for the game and have no restrictions than paying in game. TF2 is cool though (mostly because you can upgrade account for like $0.50)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: December 11, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »

@Nathan Cash - They've already stated that any games on the marketplace have to have a free element, not that they have to be free themselves. In other words, there can be both free-to-play games as well as normal games with free demos on the Ouya marketplace.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 12, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »

You stick to that a key and a chain, you can get a pretty cool keychain. Lips Sealed

Yeah.
Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

I've found about OUYA quite recently, so I didn't have chance to support it on Kickstarter, but personally I like the idea very much and I'll certainly pre-order it. Surely it's a risk and it might not succeed, but if you never risk anything, you will not succeed in 100 % of the time.

I'm myself just getting started with indie development and I've looked at the possibilities to develop for some consoles and it's very difficult, especially considering I'm from a rather smaller country that for example Microsoft doesn't even bother to support with their Xbox Live Arcade, so I'm quite enthusiastic about it (although I'm generally always excited from new things and ambitious projects).

I don't quite understand why some people want to stomp it into ground and don't want it to succeed. Do they hate to see someone else to succeed? If there are people interested in it, why not let it live?

As was already stated here many times, I myself too sometimes think, why people just don't use PC for everything with their TV. But I think it's because consoles are just much more simple. You plug it in, turn on and instantly play games, plus it feels different to many people, just as there are people who prefer to play classic games on the original hardware, instead of an emulator. Plus it's quite small and I suppose it's also going to be quiet, so it might better suit the living room set than a large PC.

I really want to see this succeed and I'll try to support it myself with my games. I won't develop OUYA exclusive, but I might throw some OUYA exclusive bonus in the games :-) That way, I'll reach multiple platforms and also give at least a little incentive to get the OUYA version as well (partial exclusivity :D ).
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »

Plus it's quite small and I suppose it's also going to be quiet, so it might better suit the living room set than a large PC.
I guess most don't have power- economics/aesthetics as their point of view. As for me, I like platforms if they have a good reason to exist.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: December 16, 2012, 06:32:30 AM »

J-Snake: A lot of people however care about aesthetics and loudness, especially if it's in a living room. If by "most" you mean people here, then maybe yes, but otherwise, I would say no. Just look how many products on the market are appealing to people with their design, instead of a function and how many people are buying it.

For me, aesthetics is somewhat important too, but it's not the top priority. Top priority is the usability and actual purpose of the device, but that doesn't mean I'll complain if it looks nice.

If I may speak from the experience, we have at home an HTPC in the living room for multimedia and Internet and also general use as ordinary PC, basically the "PC for everything" approach, but to keep it running smoothly and without problems is quite a hassle. It's a low-power computer, but when it's loaded, it can get quite loud which is certainly annoying when you have some hum in the background, or when I tune down the cooling, it gets slow, because it starts overheating and the CPU starts throttling to cool itself.

Plus I often have to solve various problems with software or even hardware, like when we added a large FullHD screen in addition to the existing one, it turned out that the integrated GPU on the motherboard can't handle both reasonably well and video/TV playback started to stutter, I had to install a dedicated graphics. Also it takes time for the PC to wake up from the sleep, for multimedia software to boot and then it starts glitching when  you try to swap to a different app and generally, it's a lot of hassle. There's a lot of little problems, that can be solved, but they just get annoying when they pile up.

Of course, just so you don't get the wrong impression, I focused now mostly on the troubles, so it might sound very negative, but I just want to point out, that PC-for-everything can be quite a hassle and I understand that having a single device that you just turn on and play, without caring about anything, can have its benefits and appeal to people. People who just want to turn it on and enjoy themselves, instead of spending time to make it work and solve all the little problems.

As well as the loudness, especially if you're running it at evening/night.

I'm not saying that dedicated devices don't have problems too, but I would say that there's much less of them compared to using PC for the same task. PC's are just too varied, both in hardware and software and things don't always work how they're supposed to.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #736 on: December 16, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

What I am saying is that the regular console owner doesn't care the console takes 33 or 133 watts or being few inches larger or smaller, as long as it is not too noisy.

Reasonably, why should a home console only consume like 1-3 watts? Isn't it more appropriate to keep this specs for mobile platforms? These are all the questions one can ask oneself. For me personally, conceptually I like to see a stronger version of the snes and making the best games possible within these boundaries, so I welcome any platform if it gives me the possibility to exploit it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:34:06 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: December 16, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »

I don't quite understand why some people want to stomp it into ground and don't want it to succeed.

Being critical of a very ambitious project != stomping it into the ground and not wanting it to succeed.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 16, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »

don't want it to succeed.

I am quite critical of the whole ouya madness, I would like to see it succeed though.
I believe most critical voices you read on the internet just
 - have seen hardware project failures before.
 - don't like the hypes
 - call bullshit on Ouya (minecraft in your livingroom for example, still it's not confirmed)
- feel there are numerous devices out there already you can purchase atm, that sort of solve the problem Ouya claims will be solving.
- don't have tv's anymore

etc.

but if you never risk anything, you will not succeed in 100 % of the time.
But what do you mean : taking the risk of preordering/backing something that doesn't exist yet and will take months/weeks to be delivered is taking a risk surely, but what will succeeding give you?

and why not just order something that's done already instead, for success' sake ?

but again I'd love to see it succeed, (now i go play with my raspberry pi  Bye!)
Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: December 16, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »

J-Snake: I'm not talking about power-requirements, more about the noise because of cooling. Although lower-power hardware also produces less heat and can work even with entirely passive cooling.

Being critical of a very ambitious project != stomping it into the ground and not wanting it to succeed.

I didn't say/imply that. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I'm talking about people who just say things like "I hope this fails" or "This should burn in hell" and these kinds of reactions. There's not even a hint of constructive criticism in these.

Simply put: I understand people who think it won't succeed because of this and that reason, but I don't understand people who show a desire for project not to succeed.

nikki: Yeah, like I said above, constructive criticism makes sense (although I wouldn't call seeing other projects fail much constructive, as there's a lot of variables and there were also projects that succeeded).

I was talking more generally with the risk-taking, even the people making OUYA are taking a risk. I order things that are done already too.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic