Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:40:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173806 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: December 16, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »

J-Snake: I'm not talking about power-requirements, more about the noise because of cooling. Although lower-power hardware also produces less heat and can work even with entirely passive cooling.
You asked why people are not excited for it. I gave you some possible reasons. That is the regular console user doesn't choose a home-console according to its size and noise-dissipation as long as it is within bounds. As example Xbox360 is significantly louder than the ps3 and still it is the more popular console.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »

J-Snake: Well I meant it more as a comparison to a large PC and rather like an nice addition, however not as main selling point or something people would be excited about.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

Being critical of a very ambitious project != stomping it into the ground and not wanting it to succeed.

I didn't say/imply that. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I'm talking about people who just say things like "I hope this fails" or "This should burn in hell" and these kinds of reactions. There's not even a hint of constructive criticism in these.

Seeing as this was in your very first post in this thread, I assumed you were talking about the critical discussion in this thread. But I guess you were just talking about the nebulous "them" and what "they" say...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: December 18, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »

Christian Knudsen: Oh, my apologies for the lack of clarity then. I was talking more generally about what I've encountered in various places, mostly in other ones, but I think I saw a few similar comments when reading through this topic too (but I might have mixed it with something else, as I read multiple things in different tabs), but even if I didn't, I certainly did see such comments in other places. I'll try to be more clear on what I'm referring to next time Smiley
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »

I think some people just don't like to see dilution of whatever console they religiously love. Internet console flame wars have been going around forever, some people are going to hate whatever they don't use.

Personally, I'm very skeptical. I wouldn't want my friends to waste time or money on it. Also something this big failing will hurt support of other future mega-indie projects and hurt the credibility of crowdsourcing.

But not hoping it fails; I just think that it's got about 30% odds of being a mediocre console, and 69% odds of being unused within 2 years of launch.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 19, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »

and hurt the credibility of crowdsourcing.

I was just thinking of that too, It did evolve pretty fast, from a
artist need some money to make this great idea a reality
to
these businesspeople are polling interrest in this target audience with some marketing speech and 3d models and will see where it goes after they gather some millions and get some board members and real investors backing
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

I dont understand the reasoning behind using the Tegra 3 hardware on the console.
Its a chipset meant for mobile platforms, designed with two constraints in mind: power consumption and heat output. Because, you know, it has to syphon power off a battery, and has to function inside a crammed cell phone case or tablet case.

Its quite honestly ridiculous, and i can only think of two reasons for that odd duck of a piece of hardware inside the console: the fact that its android ready, and perhaps price.
The idea of a console running android natively is somewhat dumb in and on itself (it could have a propietary OS and also run android in some sandbox, so that mobile games can be played). And i cant imagine how something like a Tegra processor which is miniaturized beyond regular processors (i mean, its an ARM processor / GPU / memory controller / etc combination) (and by regular processor i mean x86 architecture microprocessors) could be a cheaper alternative.

Im just emphasizing the fact that ARM processors are embedded processors the main selling point of which is LOW POWER CONSUMPTION, and Ouya isnt a mobile platform, which leads me to believe the big wigs behind the project might not know what on earth they are trying to accomplish.

This console is surely going to look sad gathering dust between the xbox720 and ps4, sitting next to a cellphone that will in all likelihood have more processing power in 6 months time than the Ouya has at launch date.

The image of that ceo woman from the kickstarter video (the founder of the company) is stuck in my mind, she seems so pumped up dreaming about all the money to be made from this, not realizing theres a bunch of fatal flaws in the design of the Titanic Ouya that spell doom.
Its sad really.

Also
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-powerful-is-tegra-3

Also, if its an open console, what keeps some pesky chinese eggheads from reverse engineering it and building a knockoff thats cheaper and runs all pirated android games?
"the hacker friendly console"  Corny Laugh

Ill just be playing emulated Dreamcast games on my Pandora handheld console until i get my preordered Ouya.  Coffee

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: December 19, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »

I'm just emphasizing the fact that ARM processors are embedded processors the main selling point of which is LOW POWER CONSUMPTION, and Ouya isnt a mobile platform, which leads me to believe the big wigs behind the project might not know what on earth they are trying to accomplish.

Manufacturing cost and complexity. A system with a dedicated GPU requires more complex system hardware to support it. An embedded processor like the Tegra 3 makes for a much simpler hardware configuration. Only having one primary chip cuts down considerably on production costs, and possibly production failures. (such as the XBox 360 suffered from) It also drastically reduces the need for bulky cooling systems. (also reducing cost and build complexity)

Low power consumption is also nice, if not quite as necessary. It would be smart for the Ouya team to bill their new system as the "green" console of choice. With its lowered specs and mobile-derived hardware, it will handily beat out all other current home consoles in terms of eco-friendliness. There's a marketing opportunity there.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

Low power consumption is also nice, if not quite as necessary. It would be smart for the Ouya team to bill their new system as the "green" console of choice.
I would welcome it. Also if they listen to the joypad advice about 2-in-one shoulder buttons they will have something to stand out from the competition. The more simultaneous buttons you can handle the more new space in gaming there is to explore.

Note: I know that sounds nerdy, but that's the way it is.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: December 28, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

So, they've got dev consoles out. While it's not final, the touch-pad is rectangular (though it seems a bit small) and the buttons do indeed say "O, U, Y, A". Here's an unboxing video on the author's blog page (the creator of Mutant Mudds).

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »

Looks like 2-in-one shoulder buttons didn't make it. But the digital pad looks done right.

CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »

I pre-ordered this console back in October and I saw that unboxing of the dev kit today as well.  I had no clue that the OUYA was going to be smaller than a coffee mug, it's surprising.  What I can't stand about a lot of places talking about it is that there are many who are heavily cynical over it; it's highly discouraging.  Though I am looking forward to the system and what all it can offer.

If you want to contact me via AIM, PM me first and provide your screen name.  I will contact you as soon as I get it.
chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »

Video of the OUYA up and running

No start or select button on the controller, maybe the power button serves more than 1 function? (bringing up the home menu when pressed/clicked and turn the console on/off if pressed/hold for several seconds)

It's a little weird if they really did choose to leave out a dedicated menu button by design and expecting each developer to implement their own mechanism to return to the home menu, not to mention that gamers might be confused as well since there is no easy way to end the game and try another without restarting the console.
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 29, 2012, 04:56:20 AM »

It might be possible that the OUYA crew could make a revision to the controller since this is just the developer kit we're dealing with here.  Surely they're expecting feedback on how the console and controller feels to them?

If you want to contact me via AIM, PM me first and provide your screen name.  I will contact you as soon as I get it.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: December 29, 2012, 05:46:03 AM »

Video of the OUYA up and running

The touchpad seems really awkward in use.

No start or select button on the controller, maybe the power button serves more than 1 function? (bringing up the home menu when pressed/clicked and turn the console on/off if pressed/hold for several seconds)

I'd swear I read somewhere that this is exactly how it works, but I can't find it right now...

Laserbrain Studios
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »

I am curious about the supposed advantages the touchpad should bring. I fear you cannot map the touch controls to it. It is just like the touch-pad of my notebook (but even smaller). It gets the job done while I am mobile, but I cannot see a native use or advantage for a game here at the moment.

I would like to hear your opinion on that.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: December 29, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

Well, since it's so small, it doesn't seem comfortable enough to control a mouse for a game. I could see it being used as kind of a gimmick / mechanic, like simple motion controls (i.e. you're in the cold tundra, rub the touch-pad to warm yourself up). Perhaps for a Super Monkey Ball or Marble Madness game it might be interesting as an analog control alternative. If it were a bit larger or pressure sensitive, it might be interesting.

But then again, it depends on how you use it. For example, closing the DS in Hotel Dusk (I think?) and the DS Zelda to solve a puzzle were pretty inventive. Maybe something similar could be done with the touchpad (getting the player to touch the controller to interact with the game world).

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »

(getting the player to touch the controller to interact with the game world).

I think that's how most controllers work! Tongue

Laserbrain Studios
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »

but aint that little touchpad just to addin some missed simple touchscreen interfacing ?
instead of using an external mouse to press these virtual keyboards I mean.

I dont think (not sure) it's multitouch though is it ?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »

@Christian Knudsen - Hah, I meant touching the pad to touch something in-game, rather than controlling it with buttons.

@nikki - I don't think it's multitouch (and it wouldn't make much sense if it was only large enough for one finger and was multitouch). However, it could still be useful (and I would assume the Ouya dev-kit would come with some sort of controller-friendly soft keyboard).

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic