Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:16:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173794 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »

i just don't understand how he can be so hyped up about an android that attaches to your tv

Ant
« Reply #861 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »

"it will be the youtube of gaming"

oh god please no stop before it's too late
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

Youtube: Mass entertainment for quantities, hard to find quality. Potentially spoiling our generation.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 07, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »

Television: Mass entertainment for quantities, hard to find quality. Potentially spoiling our generation.

FTFY
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »

youtube > television

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »

Not sure why they think a yearly upgrade model is a good idea, unless they plan on making upgrades not really upgrades at all (i.e. more space, an accelerometer in the controller, rechargeable controllers, etc. instead of a new OS or more CPU power).

Maybe they just plan on iterating the console's capabilities each year, rather than releasing an actual new Ouya each time.

Maybe they're going to offer an extreme discount for upgrading your console each year (i.e. $20).

Maybe it's a truly bad idea. We'll know in a year.

@Christian Knudsen - I assume they mean that they're not going to change the Ouya to the point where previous games won't run on it between upgrades.

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

youtube > television

absolutely not. Television caused much much more significant social and economic changes when it was introduced.

Just because watching youtube is more enjoyable than watching television doesn't mean that it has had a more significant cultural and political impact.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »

@Christian Knudsen - I assume they mean that they're not going to change the Ouya to the point where previous games won't run on it between upgrades.

Maybe the games made for Ouya 1 will run on Ouya 2, but I imagine the games made for Ouya 2 will take advantage of the more powerful processor and whatever else it has to offer -- which probably means the games won't run on Ouya 1 anymore. To avoid this, developers will either have to not take advantage of the more powerful Ouyas and just continue to make games for Ouya 1 (and then the whole point of releasing new Ouyas annually is void), or they'll have to make their games scale to the different versions of Ouyas (which, as mentioned before, completely voids one of the console's strengths from a developer perspective: standardized and consistent hardware).

I think the Ouya people are starting to realize that basing their business model on income from percentages of sales from the Ouya Store isn't very viable, so now they're trying to earn extra income from selling new Ouyas every year. Though I previously thought that they were selling the hardware either at a loss or break-even precisely because their business model was based on income from the Store, in which case releasing a new Ouya every year is even more of a head-scratcher.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »

youtube > television

absolutely not. Television caused much much more significant social and economic changes when it was introduced.
Let me correct myself.

youtube >> television

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: February 07, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »

I think the Ouya people are starting to realize that basing their business model on income from percentages of sales from the Ouya Store isn't very viable, so now they're trying to earn extra income from selling new Ouyas every year.
That's interesting, to go the other route. It would be ideal of course to gain the income through software, I guess.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #870 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »

oh god that guy is annoying and full of shit. it's clear he has no idea what he's talking about.

also ouya sucks
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 07, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »

Maybe the games made for Ouya 1 will run on Ouya 2, but I imagine the games made for Ouya 2 will take advantage of the more powerful processor and whatever else it has to offer -- which probably means the games won't run on Ouya 1 anymore.
it'll probably be like ios where most of the new games coming out usually support like 3 generations of iphones/ipads. afaik, some 3d games like infinity blade tone down their graphics settings when you're playing on an older device. i have an iphone 4 which is 2 generations behind the "state of the art" and i havent found a game i cant run yet.

i don't really care about the ouya either way, just saying
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: February 07, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

What I like most about the ouya is the joypad.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

Maybe the games made for Ouya 1 will run on Ouya 2, but I imagine the games made for Ouya 2 will take advantage of the more powerful processor and whatever else it has to offer -- which probably means the games won't run on Ouya 1 anymore.
it'll probably be like ios where most of the new games coming out usually support like 3 generations of iphones/ipads. afaik, some 3d games like infinity blade tone down their graphics settings when you're playing on an older device. i have an iphone 4 which is 2 generations behind the "state of the art" and i havent found a game i cant run yet.

i don't really care about the ouya either way, just saying

Yeah, that's what I meant with the very next sentence:

Maybe the games made for Ouya 1 will run on Ouya 2, but I imagine the games made for Ouya 2 will take advantage of the more powerful processor and whatever else it has to offer -- which probably means the games won't run on Ouya 1 anymore. To avoid this, developers will either have to not take advantage of the more powerful Ouyas and just continue to make games for Ouya 1 (and then the whole point of releasing new Ouyas annually is void), or they'll have to make their games scale to the different versions of Ouyas (which, as mentioned before, completely voids one of the console's strengths from a developer perspective: standardized and consistent hardware).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: February 07, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

I don't mind scaling if it is just for cosmetical things. Shouldn't be that difficult since the main thing that will go up is the gpu. I expect the gpu advancement to overshadow the cpu (because really, how can you improve the cpu anymore?)

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 07, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

Let me correct myself.

youtube >> television

so youtube needs to be bitwise shifted howmany places ?
and where do you leave the result ?

I don't follow
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: February 07, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

May be you don't notice it but I am intentionally silly at certain times, indicating that this place isn't meant for debates like this.

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

The basic concept for Ouya could be thought of as using an SoC as the basis of a system that can connect to a TV. It probably makes sense from that perspective to switch up regularly to whatever SoC is available that will keep the console at the ~$100 price. If they're using components are being manufactured for phones/tablet devices, they perhaps have to follow an approach to upgrades that's closer to those than to standard games consoles.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: February 07, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »

In case they decide not to take a cut on the software released then indeed, they have to make money from hardware.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

After reading up a bit, I'm not quite sure whether this was indeed a horrible move or not. With so much focus on Android game systems recently, they may have had to do this to keep up. Honestly, if you could buy a $70 Ouya or a $100 other-system-with-stronger-parts, wouldn't you buy the other one?

By releasing a new one each year, the consumer who wants one is always getting some fairly recent and decent hardware for the Ouya while still getting it for $100 (I assume). I mean, there are definite downsides, but I'm not really sure what they should do / should have done. Perhaps a sequel every two or three years?

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic