Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:23:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173779 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #980 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »

@TomHunt & SolarLune - see the entire thread for my earlier replies to similar thoughts as you expressed (most of what you said this thread has already covered a dozen times)

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »

Kickstarter says mine is shipping on the 28th (of March).

Think happy thoughts.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 28, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »

What are the OUYA exclusive? I heard some "big profile" name exclusive, not sure.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: March 01, 2013, 05:04:05 AM »

I thought Square/Enix was doing something. Not sure if it's exclusive, tho.

EDIT: FF3 as a launch title, apparently.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #984 on: March 01, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »

Seeing as it's the FF3 version that's already on Nintendo DS, WiiWare, iOS and Android (and PSP, I think?), it's definitely not exclusive.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 01, 2013, 07:28:16 AM »

it's still just an android that attaches to a tv (and offers no advantage over attaching your actual android to your tv and plugging in a joystick)
- A Nexus 7 costs $250. An Ouya will cost $99 + maybe $30-$90 for extra controllers - which you'd have to get anyway for console-style gaming on a tablet, plus having to deal with a driver app on quasi-standard hardware. The Ouya is the more accessible option here for all but the most hardcore of consumers.
You don't need a 3G/4G data plan if you use your 200$ Nexus at home, considering it has WiFi connectivity and any decent ISP gives you a wireless router when you sign them. Ouya isn't accessible by any means, period.

Actually, I believe it will prove to be a very expensive contraption, but I don't have any interest in it and won't wave any flags against it.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #986 on: March 01, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »

yep, most smartphones work with local wifi, no? plus you don't need to buy the most expensive android phone or anything -- buy a used one on ebay or craigslist for $50 or something. you can play android games on your tv for a lot cheaper than a $99 ouya

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #987 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

What are the OUYA exclusive? I heard some "big profile" name exclusive, not sure.
Kim Swift.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »

nothing says "brilliant business sense" to me like someone releasing a game as exclusive on an unproven console created by a company that has zero experience, zero corporate backing, and  virtually no finances.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #989 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »

"What's unique about Ouya is the business model, the fact that every single game is free to try, that it's open for every single creator, the fact that we're bringing games back to the television. But most importantly, we will win if we're able to develop a great relationship with developers and gamers where the best, newest, and most creative games are on Ouya."

Julie Uhrman

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:36 AM »

its not like they cant release for pc if it bombs
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #991 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »

its not like they cant release for pc if it bombs

i don't think you know what the word "exclusive" means -- it means they can't release it for the pc if it bombs

feminazi
« Reply #992 on: March 01, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »

is it monyhatted or mayb timed exclusive
AshfordPride
« Reply #993 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »

the fact that we're bringing games back to the television.

...What?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #994 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »

isn't every game on XBLA free to try? isn't there required demos? and isn't xblig pretty open as well? at least in comparison to the other consoles.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

"What's unique about Ouya is the business model, the fact that every single game is free to try, that it's open for every single creator, the fact that we're bringing games back to the television. But most importantly, we will win if we're able to develop a great relationship with developers and gamers where the best, newest, and most creative games are on Ouya."

Julie Uhrman

That's the problem here, the end consumer is the dev, but the dev has no end consumer, they never talk about this one.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »

Exclusives sell platforms. You'd have to be crazy to do an exclusive without a big dumptruck full of money unloading at your front door, or a suitable equivalent. My understanding is that is exactly how this happens anyway- the platform owner gives some juicy incentive to a developer to lock a game to a platform.

The big exception of course would be if you were writing an app/game that took advantage of some unique feature of a platform that didn't map well to other platforms. Think Wiimote.

It also eliminates the long-running assumption that only top-flight, well-funded studios are able to make quality console games and should thus be the only ones given top-priority access to the market.

I think this is one reason why a number of people are excited about it. Even if the Ouya isn't the platform that ultimately makes the biggest splash in this space, I'm glad that there is interest in moving things in that direction.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »

isn't every game on XBLA free to try? isn't there required demos? and isn't xblig pretty open as well? at least in comparison to the other consoles.

yeah but who buys xblig. and xbla is harder to get on to. the whole ouya process is "free" for both sides: devs + consumers. that's the whole deal, I believe.

the fact that we're bringing games back to the television.

...What?

They're referring to the move to mobile, browser. F2P on the PC maybe? I don't know. The statement sounds a little strange to me too. Flash portals get a whole lot of players. Facebook games etc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:41:54 PM by Graham. » Logged
AshfordPride
« Reply #998 on: March 03, 2013, 12:06:05 PM »

They're referring to the move to mobile, browser. F2P on the PC maybe? I don't know. The statement sounds a little strange to me too. Flash portals get a whole lot of players. Facebook games etc.

Yeah, I did some thinking on it, and I think it may be aimed at phone and tablet gaming. 
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #999 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »

Supposingly the OUYA's low price is attractive.
However, by the time the OUYA is gonna be out and ready for the public, it will be way lagging behind compared to current cost effective value smart phone.

Not to mention that the Tegra 3 is not exceptional in it's graphics capabilities. So you end up with mostly static\pre baked 3D games on a big screen. This isn't going to look pretty.

I would think that someone who can afford an HD TV will prefer to invest a bit more money in a console that actually... lasts. Like the PS4.
The PS4 hardware and direct access to the GPU(passing DX\OpenGL like APIs) ensure that it will stay relevant and compete with desktop gaming for at least a couple of years.
The OUYA won't even compete with my cell phone a year from now.

Edit: Also, I heard PSP Vita is pretty awesome.

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic