Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999550 Posts in 39232 Topics- by 30639 Members - Latest Member: conghal

April 24, 2014, 05:55:21 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 125
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 80141 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #960 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

what about being critical of essentially bad ideas? i mean, there are some ideas that can't be improved, they should just be given up. the ouya almost seems like one of these

i can't really see how it can be improved into something that works, unless they very drastically redesign it completely, e.g.

- give up the restrictive sales model where everyone is forced to make games free to play or use a loophole in the terms of service to make it equivalent to a sale of a full game

- give up releasing a new one each year and go for a new one every 5 years or so

- take measures to prevent piracy

but the ouya team is pretty set on doing what it's going to do so it's not like they are open to such suggestions

also, you make it sound like only "haters" are saying this stuff about ouya. but the same exact stuff we're saying about it is being said by figures like john romero here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p9lY-o6V2U -- he's not being any less or more harsh with his words there than we are here

deathtotheweird
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »

Those negative posts you are talking about are no more useful than the generic posts that praise the Ouya on here. Yet you say nothing of those, and both forms of comments are equally useless.

And many of these so called naysayers are being constructive, I find very few in here that are outright negative that don't give some kind of solid reasoning behind it.

"this is dumb" - a statement by a hater. equally useless as a statement by someone saying "this is cool"

"this is dumb, because--" just as useful to conversation as someone saying "this is cool, because--" yet you and others are so adamant about shutting them up and dismissing what they say, on the basis that it's negative and you write them off being haters. It's childish and annoying.

Personally I value everyone's opinion equally. I don't care if you hate it or like it and don't give any reason, I feel your opinion is just as useful as everyone else's. And on a forum, I think it's cool that everyone is sharing their opinion no matter which side of the fence they are on. It's called respect, so if you don't agree with an opinion you can either ignore it or address it. Stop trying to silence people.
Garthy
Level 7

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

i didn't even know the origin of that phrase until i looked it up

I was being entirely facetious. It is one of those phrases that has an unfortunate origin. Nobody in their right mind believes you were trying to make that kind of association. I was expecting to be called on it, and I think Richard Kain did that, quite politely and accurately too.

Why be facetious? I was responding to a post that used "toys kill kids" as a pivot point, and "I see my actions as charity" as a means to claim the moral high ground after painting a whole group of people as being gullible and easily misled. I didn't much like the implications of taking it too seriously. So I didn't.

it's also somewhat strange that you are accusing others of getting emotionally worked up over ouya

No. Let's dismantle this strawman right here. A rereading of my post should show that if there was a target of accusation or criticism in my post, it was myself. To elaborate: I had written a long post, and common sense kicked in after I asked myself why I felt the need to write such a post. With no answer I was happy with, I discarded it. If there is a message in my post, it was to avoid the mistake I made.

I'll leave the rest of the barbs alone for now.

i know right, now knowing what that guy was whining about really makes his post shine as one of the most retarded, overemotional posts ive ever seen.

I wouldn't dream of taking that away from you.

I was familiar with the origins of the phrase "drink the Kool-Aid." I didn't call Paul out on it because the intent of his statement was clear, and it was an appropriate use of the phrase given the argument he was making.

This is an excellent summary and I agree. The phrase has an unfortunate association tied to it, but honestly, the commonly accepted one nowadays is more along the lines of people being easily misled or gullible, rather than associating it with an actual tragedy.

Still, even with the more generous interpretation, it's not particularly nice to label a group of people as being gullible and easily misled.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #963 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

- give up the restrictive sales model where everyone is forced to make games free to play or use a loophole in the terms of service to make it equivalent to a sale of a full game

A "restrictive" sales model? You can do anything you please within those guidelines. You can make a game where everything is locked except a big button on the splash screen that says "Click here to buy this game." How is any of that restrictive. You're quibbling over semantics. The only restriction here is that the end-users have to be able to access some portion of your game from the word go, even if it's just the splash screen. You can still control everything else. And all of this is presuming that you even bother to use the OUYA's on-line store.

- give up releasing a new one each year and go for a new one every 5 years or so

Why? Releasing a new model every year keeps the platform fresh in the minds of consumers. Any developer shooting for maximum compatibility can just use the OUYA model 1 as their base target. iOS has been doing this since it first launched and hasn't had any issues. As long as the price of new systems remains consistent the consumers aren't going to complain about it either.

- take measures to prevent piracy

What measures? It's an open hardware platform without restrictions. That's half the point of the platform in the first place. Taking overt measures to curtail piracy would make them no different than any other console manufacturer.

also, you make it sound like only "haters" are saying this stuff about ouya. but the same exact stuff we're saying about it is being said by figures like john romero here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p9lY-o6V2U -- he's not being any less or more harsh with his words there than we are here

The man responsible for the design and marketing of Daikatana? Yes, I'm sure his stance on the release of a new hardware platform is going to be prescient. [sarcasm]

All I'm hearing from you is that you want the OUYA to be more like every other console. If that were the case, what would be the point? The idea of a budget-priced console is something Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo should have pursued years ago. Now that we have a fourth party trying their hand, you can't be happy unless they follow suite with their far better funded competitors?

Let the experiment happen. If it doesn't work out, it's no skin off of your teeth.
Schoq
Level 10

Imperial stronghold, midwinter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #964 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »

The man responsible for the design and marketing of Daikatana?
ftfy
stfu
glhf

make games, not money
deathtotheweird
« Reply #965 on: February 19, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

The man responsible for the design and marketing of Daikatana? Yes, I'm sure his stance on the release of a new hardware platform is going to be prescient. [sarcasm]

Nothing in your statement refutes anything John Romero says in that video. You're such a fucking dumb idiot.
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #966 on: February 19, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

I have been following this ouya thing for a long time and there is only one question in my mind the entire time ...

WHAT'S THE MARKET OF OUYA?

I mean it's clear that the market is developer and that's where all the communication of the ouya console's awareness is spent.

But as developer where is your market? Who will buy the ouya beside dreaming game dev?

At heart it's a hobbyist market of dev who make game for other dev or wannabee ... it's indeed the mystic of developing on a home console more than a real market with real target.

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »

WHAT'S THE MARKET OF OUYA?

band-wagoners and people who are extremely desperate to be at the forefront of the best big thing
caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: February 20, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »

Well I'm neither of those and wouldn't mind getting an Ouya as a cheap 'arcade machine' I can plonk next to my TV. Maybe I'm lazy but I don't want to lug my regular PC or trail 10 metre cables around the house. I'm paying for convenience which is the main selling point of a lot of modern stuff.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 20, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »

i think hes referring to the claims that the ouya will "revolutionize the console market" and etc.

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:38 AM »

Oh right yeah the people saying it will compete with next-gen Xbox and the like are retarded since it's pretty obviously going to become an iPhone style wasteland of dross games. But I think there's still a market for a cheap, open and easy console. If there was a super simple way of emulating Snes/Amiga games on there I'd be in fucking heaven.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #971 on: February 20, 2013, 04:26:59 AM »

What do you guys think ?

Will there ever be in-house developed Ouya games ?

to make killer game that's exclusive and very cool ?

alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #972 on: February 20, 2013, 04:44:12 AM »

I'm hoping for Ninjabread Man port.
Graham.
Level 10

hasn't made a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #973 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:23 AM »

I don't know if they have the team for in-house. ... They're better off getting others devs to port I think. I could be wrong.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:47 AM »

What do you guys think ?

Will there ever be in-house developed Ouya games ?

to make killer game that's exclusive and very cool ?

halo 7 is going to be ouya exclusive

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 125
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic