Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:39:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecret of Ox
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Secret of Ox  (Read 15445 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 01:58:54 AM »

You should do editors professionally  Shrug

impulse9
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 05:17:10 AM »

Looks cool! Commander Keen 4 was so awesome back in the day. Did you ever play Hocus Pocus? Another old dos game with a great feel to it - you might find some inspiration in this one too because it's magic themed. What do you have planned for the cut scenes? It would be neat to have character art/portraits in the same style you've done the rest of the world. Eager to play the demo when it's out!

I *love* Hocus Pocus. It was my favorite game as a kid. Smiley You can be sure that I draw a lot of inspiration from it. I even made a

a few years ago because the melody of it has haunted me for years. Wizard

There will probably be simple cutscenes at the beginning and at the end of the game. In between, the story will mostly be conveyed by text, most likely at the start of each world (every 5 levels). I really like the approach games like

took when it comes to storytelling. I am aiming to achieve something along those lines, hopefully I will be able to follow up with it.

Looks nice and the editor looks amazing Smiley Good Luck and waiting to be finished Smiley

Thank you very much! Smiley

You should do editors professionally  Shrug

Grin
impulse9
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »

Some updates:

NPC speech bubbles:

Early prototype of basic game mechanics:

Some primitive lighting:

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »

Some updates:

NPC speech bubbles:

LoooooL at the gragoyle text :D

impulse9
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 04:30:03 AM »

Some HUD work:

It *should* appear visible with any background, light or dark:

The red jewels display remaining lives, the "mana ball" displays remaining mana (which means that player's mana will have a max value) and there is also score and keys that player picked up so far. There are going to be a few power-ups in the game which will most likely also be displayed in the HUD.

Score will only play a superficial role. Most likely the player will be granted an extra life  for collecting a certain amount of score in a single level. At the moment I can't think of anything else scoring would be useful for. So, main use for it will probably boil down to trying to complete the levels 100% (which will be hard Shrug).
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »

Nice!

I wish this game was open-world platformer with quests, but I guess that's not gonna happen?  Tongue

We should have some "follow this thread" option.

impulse9
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

I wish this game was open-world platformer with quests, but I guess that's not gonna happen?  Tongue

Haha no, probably not. Smiley This project is mainly inspired by many old DOS platformer games. I'm trying to apply some kind of a Dungeons&Dragons feel to it, but game mechanics are actually very simple.
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Hm. How about porting it to something else than PC?

impulse9
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »

Most likely nope. Target platform is Windows.
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »

Sad

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »

WOW!!!!!

I haven't looked at the dev log in a couple of months, and boy is this game moving along!
Everything looks amazing so far, great work!

SOOOO, really only on Windows?

elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »

This looks quite interesting.
Editors looks great, how big the world will be when shipped?
impulse9
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

@ mscottweber

Thanks! Smiley Yes, the initial release will be Windows-only. But, I will release the source code as well, so perhaps eventually someone will be enthusiastic enough to port it.

@ elija

The world can be quite big and there's no real limit (though editor currently doesn't allow tilemaps bigger than 400x400), but probably the game levels won't be extremely huge because I don't think map size has a very positive effect with this kind of game mechanics. I'm planning for 25 levels (in 5 different themes) for the main episode.

The project is stalling a bit lately because I don't have any time on my hands to attend to it but hopefully this will change in the following weeks. Until then. Coffee
poe
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

We should have some "follow this thread" option.

Click notify in the bottom of the page.
Zylinski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »

I am impressed by your editor. Especially the fact that you have't used a GUI-toolkit. Like others before said; you should be a professional tools programmer!  Hand Clap Smiley

Swedish game programming student
Portfolio and blog: http://zylinski.se
Twitter: http://twitter.com/KarlZylinski
impulse9
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

I, for one, enjoy reinventing the wheel. Gomez
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 03:48:39 AM »

Looks cool! Commander Keen 4 was so awesome back in the day. Did you ever play Hocus Pocus? Another old dos game with a great feel to it - you might find some inspiration in this one too because it's magic themed. What do you have planned for the cut scenes? It would be neat to have character art/portraits in the same style you've done the rest of the world. Eager to play the demo when it's out!

I *love* Hocus Pocus. It was my favorite game as a kid. Smiley You can be sure that I draw a lot of inspiration from it. I even made a

a few years ago because the melody of it has haunted me for years. Wizard

Funny, I was thinking about mentioning Hocus Pocus as well. It would be nice to play another DOS inspired, hard, level based platformer again, so I'll be following this.

Looking at the screenshots it looks like the snow tiles and the dungeon tiles have a bit of a different style going on. The outside tiles look more modern while inside looks more retro. Because of this I don't really know what kind of feeling you're going for. I like both, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like them in the same game.

impulse9
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 05:01:37 AM »

To be perfectly honest, I haven't really decided on a final style myself. Shrug I want the art to appear cute but also have a nostalgic tone to it. The dungeon screenie is a just mockup I did to kind of try a new direction with art. I think it's too dark to fit with the rest of the game though. And yes I'm not sure the two styles will fit together either.

Thanks for kind words. I'm definitely going for DOS inspired, hard, level based and platformer! Coffee
impulse9
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:15 AM »

Little bit of concept art for monsters

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »

Oh man, no real new deving?  Cry

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic