Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999741 Posts in 39246 Topics- by 30655 Members - Latest Member: Oscarno

April 24, 2014, 11:48:29 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsSecret of Ox
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Secret of Ox  (Read 6028 times)
impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »

What?
A 2D, old-school platformer game with game mechanics similar to Commander Keen or Duke Nukem. The story will revolve around a young sorcerer who needs to prove to his elders that he is worthy of the sorcerer title by undertaking a dangerous journey. The "Ox" is an ancient gemstone that unleashes the power of true sorcery. (Not to be confused with bovine). Smiley

How?
I'm using C++, Allegro 4.4 (+ AllegroGL) and GIMP for artwork. I made my own framework (OxEngine) and I based the game on it. I also have a level editor called OxEdit in the making.

Status?
The editor is nearly finished.
The game is about 25% finished coding-wise and fairly unfinished art-wise.

Platforms?
- Windows
- Linux with Wine (or maybe native if I decide to port it some day)

Price?
Freeware.

When?
I have no idea.

Some old screenshots:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:25:08 AM by impulse9 » Logged

kamac
Level 10

Notorious posts editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:56:29 AM »

That editor looks great. Is it coded with C# + changed standard layout? Or it's your own GUI?

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »

Thanks and no, it's C++ and coded from scratch.

kamac
Level 10

Notorious posts editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »

Well, nice one then Smiley

GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:38:50 AM »

Looking good ... it would look even better if you find a way to break up the repeating rock pattern.

Good luck!

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

Thanks, I will definitely try to.  Smiley

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »

Some updates:
- changed the screen resolution to 640x480 for a more retro feel
- redrew the background using only two layers of silhouettes of hills and trees (not parallax, I'm considering making it parallax though)
- drew some world objects that probably need some more work

Here is a recent screenie:

I think I got the character pretty much the way I wanted to, but I'm not sure how he should be colored (right now I'm sticking with red, but that might change):

Right now it's all very experimental. First I would like to get the style right, then I need to work on player animations.

Pemanent
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

The characters face looks a little bit long to me. Compared to the tree the character seems a bit too cartoony. Probably just me though. Everything looks good! Your editor is exquisite.

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

Thanks! This is definitely not the final version, I will try out new things and see how they fit with the rest of the world. Hopefully this won't take a thousand years.

About the longness of the face .. yeah, that thought did pop into my mind lol ... but somehow it ended up like this. The character needs some more work. Actually a lot more work. Droop

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »

Lately I've been upgrading the editor and implementing useful functions into it. The editor now supports undo/redo (with theoretically unlimited buffer size Smiley), selection/fill, and clipboard.

Here is a brief demonstration of the editor:

Right now I'd say the editor is about halfway finished. The next step is to start working on game object design and to incorporate it into editor and later on in the game. Hopefully creating all the dialogues that are missing right now in the editor won't take too long either, so I can have this part of the project finished soon. Coffee

Edit: just spotted a glitch with redo (it redoes the blank areas as well when pasting) Durr...?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:39:50 PM by impulse9 » Logged

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »

Changed the name to Secret of Ox. I think I'm going with this one now. My Word!

Daniel Seabra
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:01 AM »

Hi! I got here by following your signature. Who knew people actually clicked on those links?

Anyway, I really like the change in graphics you did from your first few screenshots to your second one. However, the tiles feel extremely repetitive. I can see where 'the grid,' or when one tile begins and the other ends. this is mostly due to that big boulder in the center/left of the tile, but other things, too. Also consider using one or two more tiles to vary it a bit.

OK, now, scenery. I like the whole winter wonderland thing. Reminds me of the Doctor Who Christmas special episode this year (also: angel). I think you should consider though, and not enough people do, why there are floating islands. When I go outside, and walk around, I see no floating islands, so, you got to think, why does my game get to have floating islands? Now, floating islands are pretty cool if you actually explain them. In one of my RPGs (tabletop, not video game) we had floating island cities, which would travel around the world and had culture, universities, restaurants (one of which we owned!), and etc. These islands were kept afloat with magic engines, and they slightly drained the mana energy of whichever region they seemed to be over at the time. So, you know, give some context for the floating islands, because they're cool but it's kind of hard to accept that they exist 'just because,' although we've seen them so frequently in games that that does sometimes happen.

The snow is awesome. The falling snow, I mean. Looks really good. Consider desaturating your background a bit (the one closest to us), because it kind of blends in with the player.

I think that was all I was going to mention. I'mma go click notify and follow this because  looks cool.   

I'm just some bloke. Going to go to Pasadena, CA, for four years so if you're over there gimme a shout-out. Will be cool to get to know some people.
impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

I agree, the rocky tiles are too obvious and don't create the proper illusion of connectedness. I'm really wandering in dark here a bit, creating seamless tiles appears to be one of my weak points at the moment.

About the floating islands - my end goal is really to somehow create the illusion that there actually *are* rock structures in the background, and everything is connected through perceived depth. Kind of like Prehistorik 2 does, where everything sort of blends in. I will probably be working towards that goal, but I suppose there might be *some* floating islands in game anyway, seems hard to get rid of them altogether.

Thinking of it, platforms floating in mid-air, moving around in a designated pattern are also usually pretty hard to justify realistically. Smiley Some games manage to, this one won't probably.

Anyway, thanks for the awesomely constructive feedback! Smiley I will keep your tips in mind.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:28:25 AM by impulse9 » Logged

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »

Designed & programmed the object system, yay! So far only implemented in editor:

impulse9
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

Added an enormous amount of functionality to the editor.

Some new editor dialogs:

Engine now has a fully functional object / entity system, which basically allows me to import as many custom objects and monsters as I wish and enables me to program each separate object type to fit my liking. I also coded dialogs in the editor which allow user customization of object properties.

The editor is now in its finishing stages, and I'm starting more to work on the game itself.

Here is a HUD mockup:

The "ball" thing will be something like the Diablo mana ball, the long bar thing is for score and the little squares are supposed to hold info on collected keys and/or active powerups. There will be no health because I am evil and 1 hit from anything will make the character die. Evil

I have to think the game design through before I work on the HUD any further.

That's about it for now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic