Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:31:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSnayke - an action-puzzler snakelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Snayke - an action-puzzler snakelike  (Read 9757 times)
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »

Snayke is a twitch-based 2D action puzzle game. It draws heavy inspiration from the classic arcade title Snake, but its puzzle mechanics turn it into a very different and more engaging game.

Here's its website!

Snayke has two game modes: its puzzle levels, and Classic mode. The former includes over 100 levels which utilize unique mechanics such as teleporters, exploding blocks, obstacles, 'links' between blocks, and more. Even the slightest mistake by the player can cause immediate failure, as forward movement is constant, providing a challenge for both mental prowess and physical reflexes. Classic mode is more reminiscent of the original Snake and features nearly identical gameplay, but with many tweakable options as well as 2-4 player local competitive multiplayer.

Buy the game or download the demo on Desura!

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:20:43 PM by slime73 » Logged
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

Block types (also posted on the site blog)

There are several types of tile blocks in Snayke, each serving a different purpose. They all use the same tile graphic, but their colors are unique enough to still easily distinguish them.

The first is the 'obstacle' block. Running into one will kill you as surely as running into your tail will. They're slighly translucent, which helps make them look like they're part of the scene rather than just holes in the background.

The food block is a staple for any game in the Snake genre. Consuming (running into) it will increase the length of a snake's tail by 4 blocks. The only way to beat a level is to destroy (consume) all of the food blocks. In classic mode, consuming food will increase your score and create a new block at a random location.

Portal blocks will teleport a snake from one end to the other, destroying the portals in the process. Portal connections are indicated by a line and a moving block between each end.

When touched, bombs destroy every non-snake block in a 5x5 tile square around them. While useful for getting rid of obstacles or "consuming" food without increasing the size of your snake, accidentally destroying certain blocks at the wrong time might make it more difficult or even impossible to complete a level.

The 'slow' block slows down the entire game for several seconds, making it easier to navigate through tricky situations. I think it has the least utility out of the current block types, but it can still create interesting situations.

The reverse block will completely flip the direction of the snake which touched it. On its own it's not very interesting, but combined with obstacles and other gameplay mechanics it can create pretty unique ways to complete levels.. or accidentally kill yourself. Smiley

I have had a few other ideas for block types, but most have significant overlap with the current blocks and I want to try to keep the functionality of every block as separate as possible.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:22:09 PM by slime73 » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »

I really love the aesthetics of this!
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

Thanks! I like games with good aesthetics. Tongue
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »

Recently I have been working on creating the levels for the game. Here are a few (subject to refinement):

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »

Nice to see a snake game with some more interesting game elements than just the usual 'Snake and pellets with walls'.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »

Really love the visual style of the game. Liking the minimalism and colours.

Nice to see a snake game with some more interesting game elements than just the usual 'Snake and pellets with walls'.
Agreed!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »

Also agree, lovely aesthetics. Smiley
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »

Thanks guys!

I wrote a blog post on the site about the game's smooth grid-based movement. I'll copy it here as well:

Out of the many grid-based Snake and Tron style games I have played, almost all have noticeably jerky player movement. The usual reason for this is that the game uses tile-based graphics and wants to constrain player location to coordinates on the grid, however I consider smooth visualizations essential to the aesthetic of Snayke.

Here is a recording of Snayke with its smooth movement disabled:

And here is the same gameplay with smooth movement enabled:

It's easy to see how much smooth movement adds to a grid-based game, especially when things move at slower speeds. There are a few different ways to accomplish this depending on the visual style of the game.

In Snayke's case, each snake is represented by an individual tile image for each position the snake occupies on the grid. Smooth movement is achieved by doing a scissor cut-out of the front and back tiles of the snake, where the size of the visible area of the scissored tiles are determined by the time left until the snake's head reaches its next grid position.

While Snayke's visual movement appears smooth, snakes still move in discrete ticks under the hood. Collision detection and direction changes are calculated every time a snake advances to a new position on the grid, rather than continuously. This entails a slight amount of lag between the player pressing buttons and the game reacting, but no more than what would be there if smooth movement were disabled.

Here is the gameplay recording with collision visualizations enabled, showing collision detection acting in descrete ticks compared to the snake's smooth visual movement: YouTube video
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

I made a new trailer!

Screenshots of some new levels:

slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »

Like hundreds of other games, Snayke is now on Steam Greenlight. Vote for it if you want to see it on Steam!
slime73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »

Snayke has been released on Desura! It's on sale until October 1st for $3.50 (30% off). You can also download the demo from either Desura or the game's website.

Some coverage: indiegames.com, Rock Paper Shotgun, IndieGameMag, Wraithkal
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic