Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:02:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubJuly Vote for Club of Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: July Vote for Club of Games  (Read 8096 times)
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:14:46 AM »

If you remember, it's a good idea to have two games going in cycles so people won't have to play something they dislike. So here's a vote for the game we'll start Friday! I'd suggest no jrpgs, as we've got one on, but if you want them then whatever.

I'd rather vote for

Umihara Kawase

and

Link's Awakening
, which I've never done.

vote stands at

Umihara Kawase - 4
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - 3
Link's Awakening - 2
Mount & Blade: Warband - 2
Die By the Sword - 1
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:40:39 PM by crowe » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »

Mount & Blade Warband (im fine with any version tho)

and

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (because roguelikes are perfect for this)

rdein
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »

umihara
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »

umihara

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »

I wouldn't mind replaying LA, it's been a long time.

I vote Link's Awakening.

We should do QWOP one of these days. Race to the bottom

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

I am beginning to consider pasting a cpuple of screenshots for each suggested game, whatcha say?

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

Go right on ahead.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:40:55 PM by crowe » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »

Warband

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

Umihara Kawase

Picture the swinging-arm action of Super Metroid or Castlevania IV or Bionic Commando. Got it? Okay, now make it real bouncy-like. Your fishing line is made out of rubber, allowing you to swing and propel yourself in crazy directions. Don't question why she has it or how it works. The play control in this game is the true reason why everyone shows it so much love (it's spring-pendulum physics for you Lagrangians out there). You can attach to nearly any surface and solve each level in your own way. There are a lot of different tricks that evolve out of this: hooking ground for momentum, scaling a straight surface, hooking around ledges, balancing your weight against a giant fish, the list goes on. Some people call it a rubbering action game and it fits.

It's also draconian in difficulty. Enemies randomly spawn at the worst times, everything kills you in one hit, bottomless pits haunt your existence, and the game demands incredibly crazy stunts just to barely survive. And yet it's all very possible with some practice; veterans can make this game look really easy (which seems a bit unfair to the rest of us amateurs.)

The surreal landscape, backgrounds aside, is also quite charming. You're a cute schoolgirl surrounded by gigantic vegetables and school supplies as you look for doors and dodge flying fish, oversized eels, walking salmon, and who knows what else. It's the very essence of Cute on LSD.

Link's Awakening

In this game, Link (although I'm not sure which of the many Links) is out at sea when his ship is destroyed in a storm. He is later found amidst the wreckage by a young woman named Marin. He has found himself shipwrecked on a mysterious island with a giant egg resting at the top of a mountain called Coholint Island. Link eventually learns that the egg belongs to a being called The Wind Fish, and that the only way off the island is to awaken said Wind Fish. So, Link must travel all across the island in search of the different instruments-not surprisingly cleverly hidden in dungeons riddled with puzzles and creatures-with which he shall use to awaken The Wind Fish. Hmm... You mean Link isn't out to rescue a kidnapped maiden? What!?!?! Yes kids, it seemed inevitable. Eventually, Nintendo would have to have Link do something other than rescue women all the time, and since saving Hyrule from Space Aliens or competing in a fighting tournament to determine the world's greatest fighter seemed a bit out of place, this was the final result.

If you've played Link to the Past or the first Zelda game, you'll basically have the gameplay on this one down. You run around through the island, hacking up enemies. Throughout the game, you can obtain many different items either through finding them in special places, by doing certain events, or by buying them. Of these items, you can find seashells. After you gain a certain amount of seashells, you can take them down to a place called Seashell Manor. I'm not saying what happens there, you'll have to find out. By this time, the usual 2D battle system hadn't yet overstayed its welcome. By the time the Oracles games came out, I was screaming for a little innovation to the battle system and engine. It's odd how something so painfully simplistic can work so well, though. I mean, there really is no learning curve to this game if you've played the previous ones, plus it maintains the classic feel of any other Zelda game.

Mount & Blade: Warband

One man alone cannot fell the gigantic armies of your enemies. It’s up to you to amass a force to be reckoned with. You can ride your horse from town to town and ask for strong armed men to join your cause. Some towns will be able to offer a few men to help out. Once a soldier is in your party, you’re in charge of their weekly monetary allowances, their training, their health, and their food supply. From there, your army will follow you into hell itself if you’re a strong enough leader. Maintaining an army isn’t easy… or cheap. To keep your army fat and happy, you need cash. Raising money is difficult at first, therefore raising an army is equally difficult. But good things come to those who wait.

Income can come about several ways. You can always find a king or a lord or a duke who is in need of a favor or two. Doing missions for kings and lords grants you increased fame in those parts of the world. While gopher missions can get a little boring, sometimes you’re asked to retrieve someone’s head, or many people’s heads. Or if you want to live the live of a brigand, you can always pillage a village or two.

Then… it’s time for war.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup adds many new twists to dungeon crawling, removing some of the tedium of other roguelikes without removing the challenge. Inventory management has a clean and easy-to-use interface. Skills auto-improve as you use them. "Trap Doors" provide one-way access up or down levels, whereas stairs can be used in both directions. There's an option to have the program automatically explore the level for you, moving your character in a pattern of exploration, and stopping if you draw near to a trap, monster, or other item of interest. Likewise, there's an automated process to retrace your steps back to an earlier level--no more wondering where you saw the stairs. You must still battle any monsters you encounter, of course.

In addition to the purely random levels, DCSS has "hand crafted" levels or areas that hold special challenges, opportunities, or rewards. Finding these unusual zones is one of the great joys of this type of game.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Umihara Kawase
iffi
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »

Vote stands at

Umihara Kawase - 4
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - 3
Link's Awakening - 2
Mount & Blade: Warband - 2
Die By the Sword - 1

So get your votes in, guys!
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:45:34 PM »

It's been a while since I've played a roguelike so, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »

It's been a while since I've played a roguelike so, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Almost two and a half weeks here, not counting Rogue's Souls or Spelunky. Or The Binding of Issac. Speaking of?

The Binding of Issac /Wrath of the Lamb optional.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 05:14:46 AM »

I'm going to close the vote at Midnight GMT tonight, so get your votes in if you like.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »

I vote for Umihara Kawase even though I totally don't deserve to vote.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

Well, with five votes, the winner is Umihara Kawase! If anyone would like to make a post about it, that'd be grand.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic