Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:02:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChopper Mike - 60fps Arcade Helicopter Game for iPhone/iPad/Android/OUYA!/PC/Mac
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Chopper Mike - 60fps Arcade Helicopter Game for iPhone/iPad/Android/OUYA!/PC/Mac  (Read 26991 times)
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 12:26:39 AM »

What does every good arcade helicopter game REQUIRE...? 3D title screen...!!  :D

Click for video...

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev

Haite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »

Man! This is getting really great!
I don't know if you already planning to do it, but I miss a little variation in color with the character, I mean, a little warm color. Because he is inside the helicopter, you could just add an texture for him.
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »

Totally agree! I've done the chopper paint, and the glass and the environment shaders. Mike needs updating now!! His shader does go to black, has no fill light.. it's a mess!

I'm probably going to add a bit of self illumination, to make him "jump out of the screen" a bit. And each heli may feature a different set of sunglasses, which could be fun  Smiley

Thank you very much!  :D

John Hutchinson
Level 0

Code Monkey Go Bananas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »

I'm really surprised this project hasn't gotten more replies. It's a really fun game and it looks better and better every time I check back here.

"Code banana. Run in loop. Makes many banana!"
[email protected] | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

Thanks man. Well, that's the mystery of the internet for you!

Hope some people play the thing once I've finished it!!  :D

I've taken a little break recently, to recharge the body and mind. Now starting the final push to complete the game..

Watch this space, all one of you  Wink

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »

I downloaded Unity 4.0, and made for the world collision particles!! LOVE THEM!  :D

The particles are also set to stretch along the direction of travel.. sparky!

I love this little dude. I could totally see happy shooters, happy RPGs, happy anythings with this little man flying his happy shiny chopper round the place..  :D

Ashkin
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »

The polish on this is so nice- especially love the chopper sound <3
jamie.lowes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »

Thanks dude  :D

A million little touches to go in.. but it's starting to come together  :D
jamie.lowes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 03:56:07 AM »

Getting additive effects to look right is some kind of voodoo..

Working on the pickup particles. Either too white, or not colourful enough... PAINFUL!
jamie.lowes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:27 AM »

Gah! I somehow have 2 accounts!! razu and jamie.lowes are the same person!
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 06:40:49 AM »

I hope if you add too many effects etc I can turn them off so I can still get 60fps on iPad2, not just the new one and new phones...

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 07:40:35 AM »

I'm not sure about Apple's stance on in app performance settings... I can always analyse the current frame rate and scale back effects based on that though...

The aim is to be as 60 as possible. Which is somewhat tricky when I only have access to a few devices..

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »

I've noticed some games have such settings. That futuristic jet ski one even has resolution settings I think (but as a slider, but you can see it get more aliased on lower). Galaxy on Fire 2 has settings too (both versions, not just the fancier HD one) and it's a simple setting but it enables/disables different details like fog. So there shouldn't be a policy against them. GoF2 had the setting before it became a "big" game too, to think they let them get away with it for being a showcase for the systems. So it should be doable if you have the time for it.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »

Oh, cool.

Yeah man, Chopper's all about the 60 frames experience!

I could drop the materials to something frunky too.

Thanks for the infos!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »

New gem pickup effect. Really getting my money's worth out of these stretched billboard particle effects in Unity.. Look like little fireworks going off!  :D

Video is processing on YouTube, will post when baked..

The effect is done in one burst of 100 particles. There's no collision on this effect, so it's pretty cheap. The particles are spawned with a random colour between white and a low grey, which is then combined with the texture and blended on additively with alpha.

I had problems teleporting a single particle effect. So I created a parent GameObject with two identical particle effects as children. On Awake it finds all child particle effects, then all pickup effect requests are channeled through a call to a static instance of the 'GemPickup' object. Each call it swaps between the child effects, clearing them and moving them to the new position. Before I did this I had random particles appearing between the previous and current positions.. Not cool!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »

Video...

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »

Development shot. Every time I start Unity and see those ultra gorgeous yet subtle shaders... I'm in the zone.. doing my own thing  :D

Clicky for big...

Dual monitors.. stylin'. Paid for by the day dev clients. High five to that!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »

Result screen overhaul is in progress!

There was far too much info being conveyed on a phone screen.. I'm splitting the results into 4 screens. One per star earned, if any in that play, followed by a results screen that will cycle between time vs best, collisions, and time vs target.

Hoping that the one-thing-at-a-time will make everything far less confusing.

The star presentation screens should be a nice way to finish a round too..

Video when implemented, and probably a test flight build to get feedback on them, plus the newly created effects..

Exciting!!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »

Okay, this splitting idea is wicked!

I have the framework in place, and it's just the thing to do!!

Cooking a new build now!!  :D

All been done on the laptop in the lounge with the family around.. integrated life dev, for real!!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »

Totally happy with the new screens! Auto-scrolling panels of info, rather than cramming lots on to one screen.. is the way forward!

I distributed a test flight build, and have had some really useful feedback already. Not least of which is that the rotors on twin blade choppers rotate in opposite directions.. I fixed this straight away.. and it makes it look twice as cool!  :D

Need to restructure the game into difficulty modes and split the level/chopper select screens into two separate screens... woo, lots to do!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic