Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:52:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChopper Mike - 60fps Arcade Helicopter Game for iPhone/iPad/Android/OUYA!/PC/Mac
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Chopper Mike - 60fps Arcade Helicopter Game for iPhone/iPad/Android/OUYA!/PC/Mac  (Read 27012 times)
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »

I think the feedback has all been fed back..

Over time the comments have gone from totally random observations to almost everyone saying the same things.. I have no idea what this means. But there you go.

It really feels like all the big problems have been solved now. Which is a relief.. It's quite amazing how difficult it is to create a simple game! Every little component is so important, and people go mad if something's out of place!

I've got a couple of little fixes/improvements to go in tonight. Then comes the level select/chopper select separation. The bummer here is that I'm going to have to force the player through both screens, even though they'll hardly ever change choppers. If I make chopper selection optional I can see people missing the button and never playing with anything but the beginner chopper. And I have to default it to the beginner chopper as most people find the 'pro', (this game's Mario character), a little too tricky to control to begin with..

I'll see how it goes..! The menu transitions are lightning fast, so it should be no problem. And once you're in the game, I think most of the time you'll go to the next level via the Next button. Rather than back through the main menu...

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »

Somewhat sidetracked... but someone on my test flight said that the title screen could do with more AA. Which is true..

But I don't want to affect the game frame rate with increased AA..

So, how ultra rad is it that you can just call QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 4; for instance, to set the AA level as the game runs...? Only tested in the editor, but it all just worked.! I had it turning AA on/off every second. You could just see the pixels switch between chunky and non-chunky  :D

So cool!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

So.. there I was updating the results screen as my girlfriend starts directing the show... "Oh, I don't like that font..." "It should move like this..."

I thought the whole point was to not have a boss! :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

Just ordered an OUYA 'devkit', which should arrive in January. Chopper Mike already runs on Tegra 3 just fine, so should be nice to see it running on the TV, controlled via an actual controller!

By March/April next year Chopper Mike should be out on iOS, Android, PC, OS X... and this OUYA device! Super cool  :D

Haite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

Wow! Cool!
Looking forward!
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

Thanks dude! Can't wait to get it out so people can play it! Properly, on a device, rather than the web demo, which is a bit lame-o because of the keyboard input...

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »

Making great progress over the holiday!

Put the difficulty modes in. Worked on the results screens. Made some new levels..

Worked on Mike's shaders...!!

Really hope to pull it all together into a releasable game in the next few weeks!!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »

Here's the new shader for the bits inside the canopy...

Shader preview

Zoomed

In-Game

It looks cool in motion, and really helps to fit Mike into the scene better.

I'm going to make some more levels now!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

I made a new 'aircraft'... a UFO!!  :D

Click for video of it running on Nexus 7..

UFO in Unity editor..

I'm going to make a couple more vehicles and unlock them when the player completes a difficulty mode.

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »

Today's video capture of Chopper Mike, unedited, just as it happened. Captured from iPhone 4S running at 60 lovely frames per second!! :D

[INDENT]Click for video...
[/INDENT]

Almost finished the 'systems' part of the game. Should be able to move back to Choppers and levels soon, then... release it to the iOS/Android world!!  :D

Then PC.. then Mac.. then OUYA...

It's going to be a busy year!!  :D

As ever, follow progress on https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev

Take it easy!!

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »

Chopper select now has lockedness..!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »

Looking into Greenlight, wonder if this GIF will be allowed as the 'branding image'?

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »

I'm going with this instead, I think it's a bit more immediate, and not 3MB!! :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »

1080p PC video capture of Chopper Mike. It's almost done!!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »

Also, a couple of WIP/'How To' videos...

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

So, today's progress.. GameCenter integration, plus these levels, (well, level components)...

Not bad!!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »

Here's my "Screenshot Saturday" pic...  (

)

Pretty gnarly level, can't wait to break out the RED BLOCKS OF DOOM!! on the Expert EX version  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »

I have changed sky colours based on difficulty, so the player gets a sense of progression... (and doom from the evil purple..)

Click for BIG...

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

I have got back to the Ouya version today. There was a GC problem with the input that people had solved. But piecing that info together and making it work has taken most of the day!!

Pretty happy with it!!  :D

razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 03:13:07 AM »

I'm nearly done now, giving myself a week to finish.

Just made these very Expert levels, (remember that touching red blocks disquailies you, and you have to start the level again).

"Machine" - the two 'vertical sandwiches' rotate, LOL

Video...

"Hyperion Screw EX" - both of these spindles rotate, double-LOL

I have three end-of-mode levels to make. The odd How-To-Play screen, GameCenter cheevos, and I'm pretty much done! Gonna feel so good to go from 'Unpublished Indie Dev Wannabe', to 'Published Indie Dev'. One Life Goal complete!  :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic