Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056154 Posts in 42891 Topics- by 34836 Members - Latest Member: fith

October 22, 2014, 03:06:27 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingShmupacabra
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shmupacabra  (Read 1250 times)
snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »

For a last half year I have been making a shmup.
I have completed now two out of three levels.
Demo builds are available here: http://piepe.lv/shmupacabra/

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

I like where this is going! I played through both levels, and you've got some great things going on!

The charge bomb is elegant, and leads to some pretty unique strategies due to the use-it-or-lose-it factor associated with charging weapons. It might be useful to ramp up the power on high charges, or let the player focus the excess beams toward one direction—this would make the power vs. protection tradeoff a little more appealing.

It's weird having enemies that you actually have to worry about colliding into, but at the same time, it's kinda refreshing.

In a similar manner as the above, I like the idea of the star system working as a more visceral alternative to scoring, and in practice you did some neat things with the idea (like the barrage at the end of level 2). I feel like there are further things that could be said and done with the idea, but for some reason my mind isn't picking them up.

The level design feels slightly aimless, though I'm suspecting this might be because of a lack of progression markers within both the music and the background design.

Right now, I feel like the difficulty of the game could be upped a bit, as well as the intensity. But that's just my personal preference, and this particular kind of difficulty (dodging increasingly-complex single patterns) is actually a great way to introduce newer players to the challenges of bullet hell without overwhelming them.

Also, on that note, I would love to see some sick patterns in level 3. I absolutely love that branching Black Heart-esque pattern that the second boss throws down, and I'd be thrilled to see more of that.

All in all, you've done a great job with the first two levels. I wish you luck in finishing strong with the final stage!
snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »

Thank you Noah! Comments like this motivates me more than anything. I will definitely try to make third level total crazy hell.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »

You might want to get some better music in there.

Also, throwing a solid screen full of missles at the player where the only thing they can do is bomb is pretty lame.

snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:45:04 AM »

Also, throwing a solid screen full of missles at the player where the only thing they can do is bomb is pretty lame.

Hitbox of the ship is around cockpit. It is small enough to squeeze through that wall of missiles, but there is other way out of the situation without using a bomb: you can take shelter under brown cargo ship.
snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »

OK, I finished single player story mode.
http://piepe.lv/shmupacabra/

Now I will take some rest, I plan to make co-op and score attack modes later.
Zachariah Burke
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

I was really excited to play this, but it does not work on my computer at all. Windows XP Office Edition, if it helps.

I'm really eager to try it, though.
snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40:35 AM »

I was really excited to play this, but it does not work on my computer at all.

Could you PM me contents of stderr.txt after launching sos.exe ?
Frank Griffin
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »

It is wayyyy to hard.  If I can't even get close to finishing level 1 then something is seriously wrong.  Only being able to shoot straight ahead but having junk shoot from top to bottom at me is just crazy.  I am good at games but this is so difficult right up front I will not bother to play anymore.  Too many explosion blur the path to dodge bullets.  Also the ship itself is a distraction since only a tiny portion of the ship can be hit.  Better to make a smaller ship than to give me input that is misleading (whole ship image).
snauts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:06 PM »

It is wayyyy to hard.

My game has formidable amount of shortcomings, but I do not consider hardness one of them. I fact it is rather easy if compared to other games of same genre (i.e. Danmakus).
bitserum
Level 1

Lurker with short bursts of posting

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:02:48 AM »

GAMEPLAY:
The game is not that hard (usually the hardest part is in not knowing how new opponents will behave). The charge with its short cooldown time is a frequent life-saver.
I don't usually play bullet hell shmups (to erratic for me), so I have to agree with Noah!, as I didn't feel too overwhelmed.

DESIGN:
I would suggest touching up on the ship's graphics so the cockpit is a bit more prominent. As it is currently with all the hell going on on-screen the size of the ship does get somewhat distracting.

One thing I have a problem with is the button mashing. Spread is often more usable than the beam due to maneuverability. I understand that most shmups are somewhat nostalgic in their firing approach, but I would really like to at least see an option to assign "Spread fire" to an individual key I can just keep pressed.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic