Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:31:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden  (Read 24023 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/i-wanna-be-the-guy-gaiden/8598/

Talk about a mouthful of a title, this Construct title returns the pain and masochism of I Wanna Be The Guy to your home computer and will-be broken keyboards. Gamepad support, too.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »

The original was terrible, why would I want to play this one?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

Cool! The original was too unstable to be playable for me, but I really enjoyed I Wanna Be the Fangame. Hope this one doesn't crash as much as the first game.

Nix
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »

Why does anyone like this game? I just don't get it. It doesn't take skill. You just have to do each level fifty times until you learn all the stupid shit and then you move on to the next ridiculous level. It is some ironic thing where it's good because it's so terrible?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

kinda amusing how many people dont get that the game is a joke/parody.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »

These games are based on a particular type of kusoge (think the Cat Mario games, from which IWBTG took a bunch of direct cues) and the challenge and cruelty and humour in the various surprises are the basis of the appeal. Which may not appeal to everyone, but it's not trying to be your friend.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »

I think it's a good challenge... you're playing against the designer of the game who doesn't want you to win, understands games and tropes, and messes with your expectations. Most of the unavoidable deaths are jokes to deflate your ego, and send you back to a near checkpoint.

It's like some of Cactus's games, or QWOP. It's done pretty well. Also it gives you a grappling hook, looks fun.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

Why does anyone like this game? I just don't get it. It doesn't take skill. You just have to do each level fifty times until you learn all the stupid shit and then you move on to the next ridiculous level. It is some ironic thing where it's good because it's so terrible?

Even after you learn the mechanics of each level, it still takes skill to get through it. I call this sort of thing a "rapid trial and error" game. Arguably, Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV would fit into the same category, though to a lesser extent. For me, this sequence of events is very satisfying:

• Enter a new room and go "how the hell am I going to get across this?"
  • Try to cross it a few times, die in hilarious ways, slowly figuring out a little bit more about how the room works each time.
  • Eventually come up with a plan that will let you get through the room, and do it however many more tries it takes you to get it perfect.
  • You've now conquered something that seemed completely impossible just a moment ago, and you get to do it again in the next room.

It helps if you can appreciate the humor in the game. The designer is creatively trolling you the entire way through. If he kills me in some way I didn't expect, I'm not going to be angry or frustrated, I'll find it hilarious. I'll have just learned a new piece of the pattern I have to keep in mind, and I can try again immediately with no significant penalty.

Challenge is what makes games fun. This genre simply takes it to an extreme. What's not to like?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »

Oh, no, I get that... It's pretty obvious. I just don't understand how a game that is graphically/mechanically/design-wise like almost everyone elses' first Game Maker platformer... But it's got millions of fans? I guess ripping sprites from NES games that you're referencing/parodying makes you an instant hit with the nostalgia crowd. I wasn't fooled.

These games are based on a particular type of kusoge (think the Cat Mario games, from which IWBTG took a bunch of direct cues) and the challenge and cruelty and humour in the various surprises are the basis of the appeal. Which may not appeal to everyone, but it's not trying to be your friend.

Yeah, and I actually LOVED Sayoban Action/Cat Mario because it was well designed and placed you in a totally familiar setting where you knew all the rules and they were broken in surprising ways right before your eyes. It was fun, novel, and enjoyable. This game, on the other hand, starts you out in what literally looks like a low-end Game Maker game level; nothing is familiar so the fact that the apples are going to fall down and kill you isn't really funny or surprising.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

fyi iwbtg has really good level design, and it's not 100% surprise deaths. more like 30%. even if you know the exact location of every single surprise death, the game is still fucking hard.

syobon is not even the same genre imo. syobon is more of a puzzle game.

iwbtg doesn't really have puzzles. it's just fucking hard and really mean.

maybe phubans is just afraid to admit that he's not enough of a man to be the guy.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »

I don't want to be the guy.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »

get out of my sight

Facepalm Hand Point Right

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Nix
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »

so it is ironically 'fun'
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »

I dislike IWBTG's design philosophy. The only thing IWBTG has that I enjoy is the humor, but I can get it without playing the game by watching a decent LP. 

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »

Alright, so I'm playing the new one now and already it's a piece of shit. Here's why:

- The game touts itself as 8-bit because it rips sprites from NES - SNES era games, but not all of those eras were 8-bit; some were 16-bit. The game also has sprites and tiles at different pixel resolution. In the first part of the game, compare the outline of the bushes to the pixel density of everything else. This is one of the most amateur moves you could make when it comes to doing retro "8-bit" style and shit like this is everything that's wrong with that trend.

Bottom line: If you're going to do it, do it right.

- Took me 30 deaths at around a couple seconds each to even make it to the first level on the world map. This isn't fun, it's just retarded. Had to sit through the same "edgy" guitar riff 30+ times before I could even start the game proper. Somehow I'm reminded of the games I played on Newgrounds when it started 13~ years ago.

Bottom line: Repetition is not clever and is usually not fun.

- First stage begins, I have no control over the PC as he floats on a parachute for several seconds. Finally he gets to a point where I'm plunged into the water. Oh, I was supposed to jump there. OK... *restarts and waits several more seconds to try again* Oops, I jumped that time but missed... *restarts and waits several more seconds* Wait, this isn't fun in the least *comes back here to post this*

Bottom line: Never make your players wait. If you're going to have a scene where input is denied, let your players skip this event.

Wow, not even 5 minutes into the game and I've already found several glaring issues!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »

Please DEBIT my account with the total amount shown:

$IDONTCA.RE
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »

The game touts itself as 8-bit because it rips sprites from NES - SNES era games, but not all of those eras were 8-bit; some were 16-bit.

Wow. Fucked up if true, Paul. Someone will pay for this.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

The game touts itself as 8-bit because it rips sprites from NES - SNES era games, but not all of those eras were 8-bit; some were 16-bit.

Wow. Fucked up if true, Paul. Someone will pay for this.

Hopefully the designer, when he attempts some real-life extreme challenges, like driving a car or taking off a woman's bra for the first time. In either case I hope he spins out and ends up in a burnt wreckage of twisted metal. That fucker.

Theophilus
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »

I don't want to be the guy.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »

I want to be a pirate!
Not the internet kind of pirate, the ones on the sea. That was a MI reference btw.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic