Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:48:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSushi Snake - Out now for iPhone & iPad!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Sushi Snake - Out now for iPhone & iPad!  (Read 16801 times)
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »

Platforms
iPhone & iPad £1.99/$2.99

Description
Sushi Snake is a game in which you control an endearingly-sprited baby snake through a series of increasingly-difficult, yet engaging quick-fire puzzles. Sushi Snake is a minimalist puzzle game where your only objective is to eat all of the food.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:29:55 AM by bnhw » Logged

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »

I can't get past the second screen  Sad

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »

I can't get past the second screen  Sad
The level select? Sorry, I should say that you click to select the first level (which isn't greyed-out).

@bnhw on Twitter
Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »

Just played it!  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right Very nice. I think once it has sounds and some catchy music it'll feel very good. Once the puzzle elements come in it gets very interesting. Good work!

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »

I played it, it's a nice concept but I didn't really understand the point..

Maybe you should explain how to solve the puzzles, because it just seemed i was going through blocks and switching colors and that's it

Sorry if i couldn't be more helpful

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »

Woo! beat it.
Some of those levels got tricky, and it's an interesting concept to say the least.
Wish there were some win/lose sounds though.

JakeL168
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »

Just finished all levels! Very interesting game and nice concept~!!! The level design is also good too~

A few modification you can do:
- Add some serious music
- Add more levels (maybe 100?)
- Polish up the arts... I know colours play an important role in this game, but at least increase some pixels or add some more stripes on the snakes, to make it recognizable (in terms of where's the head and where's the tail)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »

Pretty cool idea.  Got up to 15.xml.  The first time the dual snake heads appeared, it was really confusing.  Might want to make that a bit easier to follow.

Other than that, a lot of the solutions seemed to be brute-forceable.  I can see the later ones getting hard enough to not allow this, though.

If you add animation, you should definitely add animation for the snake moving forward and eating. 
thatredant
Level 0

if(post.create){ thatredant.reply; }

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »

The first time the dual snake heads appeared, it was really confusing.  Might want to make that a bit easier to follow.

I very much agree. Seems interesting, but I couldn't piece together that part of the game.
I really like the art style! Is this inspired by that game we all know, love, and hate, Snake? It sure seems like it is.

Working on a resource-gathering realtime roguelike!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »

The first time the dual snake heads appeared, it was really confusing.  Might want to make that a bit easier to follow.

I very much agree. Seems interesting, but I couldn't piece together that part of the game.
Once you get used to and understand the fact that the controls control all snakes at once, it's easier to follow

bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

Just played it!  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right Very nice. I think once it has sounds and some catchy music it'll feel very good. Once the puzzle elements come in it gets very interesting. Good work!
Thanks! I've been putting off adding audio until I can get the other elements right, even though I know how important it is to a game. Maybe I'm just delaying because I know it'll be a slog!

I played it, it's a nice concept but I didn't really understand the point..

Maybe you should explain how to solve the puzzles, because it just seemed i was going through blocks and switching colors and that's it

Sorry if i couldn't be more helpful
My idea is to name each level to suggest at what to do, although I haven't got very far with that yet. Do you think it'd help?

Woo! beat it.
Some of those levels got tricky, and it's an interesting concept to say the least.
Wish there were some win/lose sounds though.
I'm planning to have a pause w/ a win or lose overlay so you can see what you did right/wrong with option buttons (e.g. next level, replay, quit). Audio too, tho', definitely!

Just finished all levels! Very interesting game and nice concept~!!! The level design is also good too~

A few modification you can do:
- Add some serious music
- Add more levels (maybe 100?)
- Polish up the arts... I know colours play an important role in this game, but at least increase some pixels or add some more stripes on the snakes, to make it recognizable (in terms of where's the head and where's the tail)
I think there's room for 60 levels on the selection screen, so it might end up being that! I'll have to revisit the art if people are having trouble distinguishing the head.

Pretty cool idea.  Got up to 15.xml.  The first time the dual snake heads appeared, it was really confusing.  Might want to make that a bit easier to follow.

Other than that, a lot of the solutions seemed to be brute-forceable.  I can see the later ones getting hard enough to not allow this, though.

If you add animation, you should definitely add animation for the snake moving forward and eating.  
With multiple heads, was it confusing that there were more than one and you weren't sure how they would be controlled or was it difficult to distinguish where you were? If the former, I am planning to name the levels to suggest at this (something like "And then there were two"). I have a feeling I might need to revisit the art to make the heads stand out more, anyway, though, to fix the latter. I'd like to think these levels really only touch the surface of what's possible; I've been very careful until now not to make it too difficult. By introducing more routes to take, it quickly ramps up. I think I'l need to be careful not to just make it frustrating, and use synthesis of puzzles rather than just massive, expansive levels. Love the idea of a "chomp" animation too!

The first time the dual snake heads appeared, it was really confusing.  Might want to make that a bit easier to follow.

I really like the art style! Is this inspired by that game we all know, love, and hate, Snake? It sure seems like it is.
Snakes in a game?!

@bnhw on Twitter
Conker534
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Played a few rounds. I could see this being pretty fun. I like it. :D
TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »

Very nice game!

Love the game mechanics! 16.xml was very hard in my opinion but now I solved all levels. Very well done!  Gentleman
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:21 AM »

With multiple heads, was it confusing that there were more than one and you weren't sure how they would be controlled or was it difficult to distinguish where you were? If the former, I am planning to name the levels to suggest at this (something like "And then there were two").

Changing the name would help.  It would also help if the level was similar to one where you can clearly see both heads moving at the start.  Also, adding animation would help when you eat across an entire line of items and the snake's length jumps from one side of the screen to the other.
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 01:36:51 AM »

My first post, and I gotta admit this game is simply awesome.
Simple and small puzzle levels, with cute retro graphics and a great idea.
Congrats!

Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 03:30:59 AM »

My idea is to name each level to suggest at what to do, although I haven't got very far with that yet. Do you think it'd help?
[/quote]

Yea that would definitely help a lot letting the gamer know how the puzzles work

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

yayz! saw this on Indie games.com Grin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:49:20 AM by Squid Party » Logged

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »

It's pretty fun :D

endeceive
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »

With multiple heads, was it confusing that there were more than one and you weren't sure how they would be controlled or was it difficult to distinguish where you were?

Like Udderdude said... I was confused because the first two levels where I had two heads, the second head didn't move until I was done moving the first head. I thought they were taking turns, and didn't understand the system until (I think) the third double head level, where I saw them both moving at once.

I think if the first time I saw them, they both moved at once, until one of them was blocked, I would have understood the mechanic right away.

btw overall I think this is great, I really like games where you just learn by playing rather than being explicitly tutorialized!
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words! I would quote/reply individually, but I'd like to think you'd all prefer if I spent that time actually working on the game.

Since the last update, I've primarily been naming and working out the order of levels. This is proving quite a useful process. Going through, I'm finding jumps in difficulty and adding bridging levels. I've taken note of your comments about the multiple heads and I've put in a couple of extra levels which should help to introduce how they work.

I'm going to take another look at the snake assets this lunchtime, so I'll post an update soon with some mockups.

@bnhw on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic