Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:13:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSole Gunner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sole Gunner  (Read 4191 times)
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »

Major New Update:
I'm re-working this game for flash. It's going to be a scaled down version, yet still (hopefully) retaining all the meaty goodness of my original idea. The reason for this departure from XLIG is because of Greenlight...So basically this new game, "Sole Gunner" is a prototype version of a big final game.

Test the latest public demo 'ere at NG:
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/606367/preview

(Controls:)
Arrows: Aim/Move
A: Jump
S: Shoot
(To collect a weapon, when over the icon, press down to collect. Same goes with health.)
(I'm aware it's an power hungry flash game, so when the final game is completed, I shall be uploading an standalone exe for people with slower computers.)

Those bloody robots are at it again. Trying to take over the world and attempting to destroy all human life. I guess it's up to you to defeat these metal anarchists as everyone else is busy...doing laundry or something.

Full on, action platformer with tons of explosions. Featuring:
12+ Bosses
6 Weapons
4 Levels (each with 3-5 areas.)
Lots and lots of explosions!

Level 1: One of the gems is hidden among this forgotten place. Go find it before the Robots do!

Level 2: The Tower, a sky-high complex that houses a multitude of rockets for the Robots to use against us. Find the gem and destroy this place!

Level 3: Quickly re-claim the crystal that the Robots stole. It should be on this train somewhere!

Level 4: ? ? ? ?

You start out with your normal pistol gun...but I'm sure you'll love to upgrade, right? Well find these weapon icons through the stages and you can!

A more powerful version of your automatic pistol gun!

A rapid firing laser that can go through walls. Sadly it's not overly powerful...

A highly powerful weapon, however you're unable to move when firing this weapon. (Always a catch eh...)

Slow firing, but extremely damaging, this rocket gun could be your best friend!

The king of kings. This weapon is powerful, goes through walls and is rapid firing. Hell yeah!

So that's all the juicy details. I hope people are interested in me little, well tribute to Treasure's old run and gun style of games.

I'm aware it's an power hungry flash game, so when the final game is completed, I shall be uploading an standalone exe for people with slower computers.

I'm aiming for a mid November release.

Hope ye likeths,
-Sinclairian

OLD NEWS.
Well I'd thought I would post a topic about my new upcoming game for XBLIG, which is called Twin Gunner. It's basically a little homage to Treasure's run-n-gun styled games.

I've been dabbling with making flash games for a wee bit but I've now decided to up the pace and make a bigger and badder game. I'm still learning stuff but I've just finished university so now I've got all the time in the world (until I get a job) to work on my hobby of creating games, and that is why I've decided to create something close to the heart.

It's going to feature retro gameplay, sounds, toons, bosses and action. I've decided to include an local two player mode as well. I was thinking about making it online but I really want to give this game some sort of retro appeal. (Nothing beats playing co-op when ya buddy is in the same room with ye.) I'm aiming for around six/eight levels with at least three boss battles per level.

Anyway 'ere be some screengrabs and an old video. (As you can see, I updated the sprites/HUD).

Old Video:

Anyway I hope you like what you see, I'm aiming for an October launch but we'll see what happens, =)
-Sinclairian

And if anyone wonders, I was working on this project ages ago but got lost through many HDD crashes. This used to be my old old account until a lost my password and email.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9399.msg292543#msg292543
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:09:56 PM by Sinclairian » Logged
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »

Update: 2

I've re-worked the game around so now it's for flash instead of XLIG. This is mainly due to the fact, it'll be played by a lot more people if I release it on flash, thus hopefully Steam's Greenlight scheme might help me. Idk.

Anyway, I've updated the first post with all the juicy details and I've also included a demo:
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/606367/preview

Arrows: Aim/Move
A: Jump
S: Shoot
(To collect a weapon, when over the icon, press down to collect. Same goes with health.)

I'm aware it's an power hungry flash game, so when the final game is completed, I shall be uploading an standalone exe for people with slower computers.

Hope ye likes,
-Sinclairian
Jawnsunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

Oh, this game!
I remember coming across the scrapped game from your Youtube channel.
I love Treasure's stuff, mostly because of the technical things they did with the systems their games are on like scaling and 1000s of explosions on screen while still keeping a constant 60-50 framerate.
Played the demo, and really liked it, even with the slowdown on my comp.

Also, if you want some more run & gun inspirations, play The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis. Really underrated and difficult game.

Good luck!
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »

Loved the demo, graphics are really good.

One thing that bugged me was the controls. I don't know if it was flash screwing up or the game itself but I kept trying to jump at the edge of a platform and would walk right off.  It was like it wasn't getting registered like a quarter second after I pressed it or something.

Still completed it with basically no issue.
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:01:01 AM »

Oh, this game!
I remember coming across the scrapped game from your Youtube channel.
I love Treasure's stuff, mostly because of the technical things they did with the systems their games are on like scaling and 1000s of explosions on screen while still keeping a constant 60-50 framerate.
Played the demo, and really liked it, even with the slowdown on my comp.

Also, if you want some more run & gun inspirations, play The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis. Really underrated and difficult game.

Good luck!

Yeah, it's been the works for quite a while now, but I've just finished university so I've got some time on my hands to wrap stuff up! Oh Treasure made that MegaDrive/Genesis sing.

Yeah sadly it's a bit of a power hungry game. It's at the moment being scaled by x2. It'll run a lot faster if it's put back to it's original resolution of 320 x 224 however people will start complaining it's too small. So it's a bit of a head scratcher on what to do.

And oh yes, I love that game for the MegaDrive, that video I posted actually contains music from the game Tongue. Jesper Kyd did an amazing job on it!

Loved the demo, graphics are really good.

One thing that bugged me was the controls. I don't know if it was flash screwing up or the game itself but I kept trying to jump at the edge of a platform and would walk right off.  It was like it wasn't getting registered like a quarter second after I pressed it or something.

Still completed it with basically no issue.

I believe that's the lag on the flash sadly. Like I said before, I might scale it back down to it's original size to try and avoid lag for most people. Although I'm unsure on what to do just now. (I'm still offering a standalone exe for people to download though.) Very happy that you enjoyed the game! =).

Update 3:
I thought I would upload a new video showing off the first three areas of the level, Sky Tower. After this, I'm most likely going to update with smaller glimpses of progress to try and keep things more secret

Hope ye likeths,
-Joel/Sinclairian
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »

Yeah, it's cool. It reminds me of Gunstar Heroes - it's looking pretty fun, though perhaps a bit difficult. The character reminds me of someone in particular, but I can't quite remember. Anyway, looks fun!

Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »

Yeah, it's cool. It reminds me of Gunstar Heroes - it's looking pretty fun, though perhaps a bit difficult. The character reminds me of someone in particular, but I can't quite remember. Anyway, looks fun!

Yay! For it reminding you of Gunstar Heroes as that's the plan! =). Aye, I've made the game a bit too hard at the moment but I tend to do that just so it keeps me on my toes when I'm testing. I usually tone down the difficulty before release. Thanks for that comment! =).

Just thought I'll show off some artwork of one of the bosses and it's forms. (It takes new forms the more damage it gets.)

Anyway yeah, still going strong for a mid November release! Thanks for all the comments by the way.
-Sinclairian
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

Update 4:
Sadly production got a bit slow for the past two weeks as I've been unwell but I've got around to finishing off one of the stages for good and also finishing spriting/designing the first level.

As you can see, it's changed from a desert to a jungle...or has it? I'm actually going to incorporate some time of time travel gimmick that makes you warp between the past and the present. Hopefully that'll make it look a bit different and give it some eye candy.

Anyway yeah, hoping for a November 22nd-26th release, so stay tuned! =)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

alien soldier and gunstar heroes are good and cool
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »

alien soldier and gunstar heroes are good and cool
Oh yes they are. Totally agree =)

Watched all the youtube vid and played all the demo.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Holy cow, did somebody go back in time and steal a never released beta from the early 90's? I won't list everything that looks and feels so legit, because I'd have to list everything.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Not sure how you managed to escape the temptation that your character should latch onto everything, and be this incredible acrobat with perfect weapon accuracy... but believe me when I say it's appreciated.

Hand Point Right I think the boss' health meter should contrast more such as yellow and red, or something else easier to notice. My first run I had trouble even noticing it was there, and when I did look it took a little extra time. Another option could be to recolor the boss in shades of red, but that might be too nostalgic for words.

Hand Point Right I was trying to duck things out of instinct. Are you considering adding this as an ability? Must say it felt awkward not having duck in this platformer.

Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for that comment! Originally this game was going to be something along the lines of Megaman, which hence there isn't a duck as it's running off the that engine. I was going to put one in but I got too far into designing the game to include it in which is a bit stupid on my part. In a way I like it that you can't duck, as it spices things up. However in a sequel I'm fully aiming to put in a feature to duck, and double jump. With regards to the boss bar, that's some annoying glitch with flash that I can't fix. (It should be a solid colour.) In the standalone it work just fine though :S. Glad you enjoy it and it gives off a nice 90's Genesis vibe!

Update 5:
Finished the first stage completely, re-vamp/re-composed all the music and I've started work on the third stage:

As you can see, it's set on a train. It's going to be more of a boss type stage, with really short segments followed by long boss fights. I've scrapped the idea of time travel in the first stage as it's too much to do in the short time span I've got to finish this game.

Also you can watch a video of the first part of the first stage 'ere:

(Note: This is an old video, there as been tweaks done to the level, such as sfx and edits to the boss.)

(Also you can play that stage ere: DEMO!

So that's it for now, hope peeps like!
-Sinclairian
Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

Update 6:
I've finished designing the third level, Cargo Train today, which is great news as I've got only one level left to finish.

I just thought I would show off a picture of one of the segments from that final level.

Yup. I just couldn't resist putting in a spacey space shooting type level. I swear this is the biggest flash game I've ever made...

Hope ye likeths,
-Sinclairian
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic