Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:04:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Race The Sun" - short-form race-till-you-die. w/ playable build
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Race The Sun" - short-form race-till-you-die. w/ playable build  (Read 1137 times)
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Hey all, first-time poster here!

My name is Aaron San Filippo, and my brother Forest and I run a joint venture called Flippfly (http://flippfly.com)

Our current project is called "Race The Sun," and it's a sort of odd infinite racer with some hardcore gameplay. The concept is that you're racing towards the sunset in a solar-powered craft, and if the sun reaches the horizon, you lose. Each stage gets a little faster.

We've actually been posting Devlogs for the month that we've been working on it on our site,  but I thought I'd reach out a bit to the community here and see if you all could offer us some more feedback!

Here's a link to the complete week 4 devlog, which includes a playable Unity web build:
http://flippfly.com/news/weekly-dev-journal-4-sun-flare/

Look forward to hearing what you all think!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:10:12 AM by AeornFlippout » Logged
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:45:40 AM »

Oh also I think I forgot to mention in the devlog: We're developing this primarily for PC/Mac. If we find an audience and we can optimize it enough, we'll go mobile later.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »

like the concept and art style. Personally not so keen on the houses, something more abstract might be more fitting?

The houses makes it make it feel like I am racing through suburbia.
Also jump didn't seem to work?
Some sort of brake system might be helpful when trying to get the pickups (one on an energy bar of sorts so you cant overuse it - but it recharges between uses?)

Game reminds me of death chase (spectrum) and Stun Runner (arcade) in a good way. Could be nice if you could do jumps and play with the terrain height maybe.

AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »

Hey Dugan, thanks for the feedback.

Good point about the houses - that's kind of the vibe we were going for I think, but there will be a lot of different visual styles; most of them natural looking rocks and more abstract structures. We'll have more to show on that next week.

To jump, you first need to collect one of the green-ish orbs - you'll be able to tell you have the powerup by a little blue stripe under your ship (the visuals are obviously a wip.) Also, the jump powerups stack. A good strategy is to collect a lot of them in the early stages and then use them to avoid the cloud shadows.
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:45 AM »

Week 5 Update:
1. Gamepad support! I'd really appreciate people trying this, I don't currently have a decent gamepad.
2. New building styles - it randomly picks from among about 28 building types
3. New player ship - what do you think?

More info, and playable build here:

http://flippfly.com/news/weekly-dev-journal-5-play-this/
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

Week 6 update:

- Slick new intro sequence
- Some UI work for main menu and death stats screen
- misc. visual polish on player ship & FX

http://flippfly.com/news/weekly-dev-journal-6-race-the-sun-continues/
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »

Sad that this DevLog died, but I'm glad to see the game completed, up on Steam, and doing well! Just picked up my copy during the sale, keep up the good work!  Toast Right

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic