Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:13:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEris - Mutliplayer Open World FPS/RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Eris - Mutliplayer Open World FPS/RPG  (Read 10658 times)
SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Week 17

Video here:

We spent the whole week working on adding elemental attacks to Eris.

They're basically spells, but I don't want to call them spells since they're based on the user's power armor, so they're not technically magic.

We've got 3 elemental attacks in thus far. Flames, ice storm, and lightning.

Travis ran into some trouble with animation so the hands are pretty badly deformed when in their default position, he should have that fixed soon.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:18:05 PM by Spooder » Logged

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »

Week 18

Video here:

This week, we finally got rid of the terrible checkerboard tower assets. The new assets still need some work, but it's a vast improvement over last week.

We also implemented a jump pad for rapidly ascending floors. Travis has mentioned that he wants to redesign it, so it will likely look completely different in a week or two.

The last big feature this week is turret upgrades. I've made the flamethrower and rocket launcher separate upgrades that cost XP. We've got plans for more turret upgrades in the future as well.

I also had to modify the controls a bit to make the spells I implemented last week a little easier to use.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »

Week 19

Video here:

Just one feature this week, but it's an awesome one! Portals!

Deployable portals that unfold and allow you to quickly get from one point on the map to another. Portals are not limited to players, you can send objects, vehicles, and even enemies through the portals as well!

Travis has really outdone himself with the unfolding animation, it looks damn good. It's quite satisfying to toss down a cube, see it flop around and eventually unfold into a doorway to the other side of the map.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Week 21

Video here:

It’s great to be back at work, I never knew how much I would miss it until Hurricane Sandy took out my power for a week.

This week we implemented the giant drills that power the main alien tower. I’ve always been fascinated by sound design, so I had a lot of fun making the sounds for the drill. It’s far and away the biggest sound design challenge I’ve taken on thus far, and it came out pretty well. Travis still has some texture work to do on it, but it’s shaping up quite nicely!

Travis also made a bunch of new modular pieces including brand new doors!

I also implemented a new spawn culling algorithm, which should help prevent enemies being spawned when they are not needed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:31:41 PM by Spooder » Logged

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Week 22

Video here:

This week, Travis finally replaced the old command terminal with a nice new one. It’s still not done but its better than just having a big white box where the terminal is supposed to be!

We also began implementing our new special rooms, to make invading towers a bit more interesting.

The first special room is a key room, where players can access a special key code that unlocks every door in the tower.

The second special room is a security room. From here you can access and shut down turrets, and view security cameras monitoring the tower.

These features aren’t quite done, most of the week was spent doing some much needed optimization, and planning exactly how we want these features to work. By next week we’ll have them fully working, and add a new hacking mini game to add some more interactivity to the act of capturing a tower.

vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

Are you going to get a new UI? Personally, I don't like the aesthetic style of the UI, even the graphics for that matter. Perhaps get better shaders, maybe something that gives it more character. Just for example, cel-shaded or Borderlands-like, because, don't mean to be rude but honestly right now it's like you're shooting for photorealism but not really getting it right.

Love the idea btw.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

Are you going to get a new UI? Personally, I don't like the aesthetic style of the UI, even the graphics for that matter. Perhaps get better shaders, maybe something that gives it more character. Just for example, cel-shaded or Borderlands-like, because, don't mean to be rude but honestly right now it's like you're shooting for photorealism but not really getting it right.

Love the idea btw.

I don't think we're going to change the UI, not soon at least. We may expand it to make it larger, but we're probably not gonna be totally changing the style of it.

We're pretty clearly not going for photo realism, its a purple planet for Christ's sake! Tongue We have no intentions of making it as hyper stylized as Borderlands though. Almost every asset is far from finished, so if we're not "getting it right", that's most likely because we're a 2 man team and we've got a year of dev left before it's done. Smiley

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »

Week 23

Video here:

This week, we continued our crusade to make invasions a little more interesting and dynamic. This time adding a hovering security drone for placing defenses, and a keypad for unlocking locked doors.

The security drone makes getting attacked much more interesting, because you can no longer just drop down a giant turret in the heat of battle. You are forced to choose between standing your ground and fighting the aliens off yourself, or running to the security room to buff your defenses.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »

Week 24

Video here:

For the past few weeks we focused on making invasions more interesting. This week we shifted our focus to making defending more interesting with some new defenses.

A cooker to burn your enemies to a crisp, and a barricade to prevent them from getting in to begin with!

We’ve got a lot more defenses and a new enemy planned for the coming weeks!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic