Soda-pop-coke is a platformer metroidvania that i started work on this summer as an attempt to improve my graphics-making and game-making skills. It has since then turned into a bigger project that i am trying
to spend a lot of time on. The game is about a young soda-jerk who travels to a temple located in a mountain where it is said that the secret to making the perfect soda is contained. But in order to get into the chamber where the supposed secret is located, you have to collect the several sacred sodas located at the bottom of soda-springs all around the mountain.
I'm trying to make the game pretty easy to play as far as controls and mechanics go. It'll be your basic run-and-jump platformer with maybe a few other little things like wall-jumping and swimming if i decide to add them. There will be some form of attacking as well, but i don't plan to make it the focus of the game.
Anyway, i plan to make the levels themselves the most interesting part of the game rather than the mechanics. Each area will be themed after one of your usual level-types. Things like a fire level, ice level, forest level, etc. as well as a flavor of soda. For example, the ice area might be themed after a berry drink with something in it to make it taste cool, or the fire area might be themed after something like curry-flavored soda. I plan on putting in a few neat little sections in each area to spice things up as well. Or at the very least a few things in each level that make it so you aren't playing just another forest or ice area.
I chose the theme of soda for the game -actually i'm used to calling it pop so fuck it i'm calling it that from now on- because pop is a huge part of my life. I drink tons of it and one of my favorite things to do is to go look for strange drinks in stores or on the internet and try them. Heck i even have a small stockpile of discontinued Jones Soda and Mountain Dew sitting in my room. I also figured i could do a lot with the theme.
The name of the game comes from the different terms used to describe pop.
The game is being developed in Game Maker 8.1 and uses the Grandma Engine by Matt Thorson.
I hope to actually finish this. So far things are going well, so that's good i guess. I'll update this topic as I work on this.
I had been posting about this elsewhere for about 3 days so i'll just sum up what i've done in those few days:
-Cleaned up my project a bit. I deleted sprites, objects, and other resources i didn't need as well as commented on some of my code. I still need to do a bit more of that, but the project is much easier to work with than it was before.
-Did a bit of planning on the starting area. I'm not really sure how good it's going to be, but hopefully it'll serve as a decent tutorial area. I'll try and get some feedback from some people on that when it's done.
-Decided to make the tiles just be simple, gray squares until I have finished making a room. Once i do that i'll replace them with actual tiles.
-Made rough versions of about 5 rooms (not counting the center of the map).
-Resized the player sprite so that it would be easier to work with.
Here's what it looks like now (new one is on the right):
Right now, i'm about halfway through creating a tutorial area.