Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:15:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Man's Quest (8-bit style zen platformer)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Man's Quest (8-bit style zen platformer)  (Read 6040 times)
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

Trailer

I am proud to announce today the launch of our new title “A Man’s Quest”.

A Man’s Quest is an 8-bit style Zen platformer that tells a tale of childhood revenge. How far will you go to get back at the boy who wouldn’t let you play in his tree? The game takes about 16 minutes to complete, so it’s best played in one sitting. The game also runs in your browser so you don't have to worry about downloading anything

The amazing 8-bit art was created by artist Ty Lagalo, and the fantastic soundtrack was composed by 8th Mode music. This is my first collaboration on a project, and I couldn’t have asked for better results.

This is also the first game I have ever created with a story so all feedback is appreciated.

[New: 11/26/12]
Game HTML5: Play Here
A note about the game:
The game is best played in Firefox. Due to a current problem with Game Maker Studio, “A Man’s Quest” may appear blurry when played in any browser besides Firefox. This is an unfortunate circumstance, and I will upload a new build as soon as the problem is fixed.

[New: 11/13/12]
Video: Trailer

Site: www.drunkdevs.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrunkDevs
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DrunkDevs

[New: 11/26/12]
Screen Shots:

Spooky.

Meeting the antagonist.

So many methods of traversal.

Watch that first step. It's a doosy.

What a sight.

"I love the Grip Glove... It's so bad!"

Yeah? What does he mean?

I assure you, it's going to get tricky.

Video Postmortem:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:44:49 PM by DrunkDevs » Logged

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Seems fine. A bit twitchy on the horizontal axis. Its hard to stop on the dime at a sign for example. Also I'm usually a big fan of platformers where if you take your hand off the jump button the game applies a downward force until you hit the ground so that you don't jump as high. It gives you a little extra control. These are really designer comments though, its up to you how to make the play movement feel.

(Also, you might want an apostrophe in "Mans." I guess you are going for primal manly non-puncuation mode b/c you repeated it three times but at first brush it seemed like a typo.  Of course if you want it to be primal and manly you could call it 'A Man Quest" or better still "Man Quest")

shig
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »

screenshots dont work for me....
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

Seems fine. A bit twitchy on the horizontal axis. Its hard to stop on the dime at a sign for example. Also I'm usually a big fan of platformers where if you take your hand off the jump button the game applies a downward force until you hit the ground so that you don't jump as high. It gives you a little extra control. These are really designer comments though, its up to you how to make the play movement feel.

(Also, you might want an apostrophe in "Mans." I guess you are going for primal manly non-puncuation mode b/c you repeated it three times but at first brush it seemed like a typo.  Of course if you want it to be primal and manly you could call it 'A Man Quest" or better still "Man Quest")
Thank you for your helpful critique. I totally agree with your comment about the jumping. This jump variance is in the game a little bit, but it only makes about a tiles worth of difference (Which doesn't feel very satisfying). I will work on increasing this for more control. I was hoping you could elaborate a little more on the twitchy horizontal axis. Is that the camera or the character?

And as far as the "Mans" comment.... that's just me misspelling things. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be changing that in my previous posts so it's not there anymore.

screenshots dont work for me....
I'm fairly new at posting on forums so I don't know what I could do to make that work for you. But just incase you still wanted to see the screens heres a alink to the Screen shot page on my site
http://www.drunkdevs.com/screen-shots/a-mans-quest/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:50:37 PM by DrunkDevs » Logged

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »

Its not a camera thing. Basically when you hit the left or right arrow the character seems to instantly be going full speed which makes it difficult to move small amounts. If you need to make small adjustments its difficult b/c even very quick presses result in big movements. If it took longer for the character to accelerate to full speed this wouldn't be so awkward for me. Again, this is a designer comment, there is no *right* way to make a platformer feel.

To some extent the fact that your character seems to always be full speed or completely stopped, and that he seems to jump basically his full range no matter what could be aesthetic choices that match the tone of your game. This Man may be an all or nothing guy, slightly difficult for players to work with. Its up to you. Just make sure the design of the game reflects the feel of the main character's movement.

The game is completely playable as is and I really had no difficulty taking on the level you built. The only part that I had any trouble with was jumping up from the sticky wall to the sticky ceiling.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »

i'm vaguely reminded of old school ninja gaiden when i play this. except it is not ridiculously hard. add some spike trapsEvil

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »

Dear god I finally had time to do an update, and its got some significant changes. The graphics have been updated (but still not final), and the controls have seen a major improvement (thanks to msilver). Also I have added two more mechanics: Spikes (Thanks TomHunt), and climbing meshes.

Feel free to jump in and tell me what you think. I would love to hear from anyone. btw, I do know about the ledge grab bug and I'm still working on it.

One last note. I'm still new here, so I don't know typical policy on this. Should I be putting people from this thread in the games credits. Already I've had significant gameplay idea's come from this forum.

Thanks all and have fun

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »

Big update. I know it's been a while since I have posted anything, but that's all changing now. I've been working on the game steady since I made my recent move to Texas, and I have something new to show. This new build has had a major facelift. Aside from better graphics I have added Music, SFX's, cut scenes, and probably something else I have forgotten about.

I would love it if anyone could check it out and tell me what they think. Thanks tigsource, I'll be checking back in soon.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

Additions:
3 new levels
3 new game play mechanics
New sprites for characters (Made by the awesome new artist on the team Ty)
More cutscenes

The demo ends right as the story is about to take off, and I think once you play it, you will be wanting to know what happens next. There is still a little bug were you can get stuck in walls, and I’m working on that but a new build is up, so feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

Pretty fun platformer. I didn't like the giant textbox though.
And I am really missing some enemy monsters. In my opinion you should add some. Maybe at first you would have to jump over them to get past them. But when you get another item, let's say spiked boots, you are able to kill them by jumping on them.

I have also some graphics which I think would really suit this game.

You may use it in any way you see fit.

Edit:

Edit2:
I love that the "bad guy" is called kevin!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:24:11 PM by green » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »

Great graphics green - gives me an Atari 2600 feel. I think you need to work on a game! Smiley
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »

Omg wow Shocked. Green that art is amazing. Happymonster is right, that needs to be in a game. You totally made my day, and I love his little moon walk. Seriously green, thank you so much for the cool artwork, and the suggestions.

That being said you also reminded me that I need to update the forums screen shots. The new screens include in the top post show off the new graphics in the game. The artist on the game has been hard at work on the new sprites and tiles, and I think it’s paying off (the less of my programmer art the better). I’ve also included a new build on the website, which allows you to play through 90% of the story. I’m also reasonable sure 50% of the story is still spelled wrong, so sorry in advance for that  Tongue.
I would like to quickly mention 2 things that Green brought up.

1)   Giant textbox = bad. This is a complaint that I have gotten from multiple play testers, and I totally agree with. I plan on replacing the text boxes soon, but I am weighing all my options since replacing the current text box system will take multiple days to do. Rest assured, I will replace them, but I just don’t know how I’m gonna do it yet.

2)   “I am really missing some enemy monsters”. This is a decision I have been wrestling with from day one, and I still haven’t decided on. My original goal for the game play was for it to be like Knit, and Fez except more linear. I like how those games can be fun without battling enemies all the time (not that I’m saying anything wrong with that). Of course I’ve never been great at dissecting games, so I can’t really tell you what I like about those games, just that I like them. If anyone has any opinions or advice on the matter I would love to hear from you. Again I’m not against putting in baddies, but I am conflicted about them since my original design goal was for the game to be fun without them.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. This was exactly what I was hoping for when I posted this Devlog on this site.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »

I’m very excited to announce today that we have entered the Alpha stage of development. The story is now playable from start to finish, and I think it’s going to be something people will enjoy. The new build is up on the site, but if you would like to steer away from spoilers I would recommend waiting a bit for a beta build.

We still have plenty of things to do like replacing programmer art, adding more sfx, fixing, and replacing the music, but this is a major milestone, and I am happy to share it with you.

Btw. If there are any chip tunes musicians who would be interested in working on the project I would love to hear from you, especially if you can make chill and ambient sounding chiptunes.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »

Here is a new trailer for the game. We are nearing the finish line.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »

Nice game!

**Spoiler Alert**

I'm in the tower, at the first skeleton and I got an unresponsive script message from "index.js". Thankfully, pressing "stop script" allowed me to keep playing. I'm using Firefox 16.0.2.

Also,  I'm going to be a spelling/grammar Nazi now.
  • Before the tower, Ty says "This tower isn't going to climb it's self!" It should be "This tower isn't going to climb itself!"
  • Inside the tower he says "Does this happen allot?" It should be "a lot"

I really like it so far!

Edit: I got stuck!

I literally can not move! Is there any way to kill myself so I don't have to give up?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:07:52 PM by Gagege » Logged

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »

Nice game!

**Spoiler Alert**

I'm in the tower, at the first skeleton and I got an unresponsive script message from "index.js". Thankfully, pressing "stop script" allowed me to keep playing. I'm using Firefox 16.0.2.

Also,  I'm going to be a spelling/grammar Nazi now.
  • Before the tower, Ty says "This tower isn't going to climb it's self!" It should be "This tower isn't going to climb itself!"
  • Inside the tower he says "Does this happen allot?" It should be "a lot"

I really like it so far!

Thanks for the super detailed feedback, and extra points for taking a screenshot of where you got stuck.

I'm not sure what caused the unresponsive script or you getting stuck, but you have given me enough details that I should be able to poke around those areas and find what's causing those bugs (also thank you for listing you browser version). I have also cleared up the spelling/grammar problems you listed, although I'm sure the worst is yet to come. Unfortunately bad spelling is my superpower.

Oh and just for you I uploaded a new build to the website with 2 other tweaks.
A) If you press "1" on the main menu you will be instantly transported to the room you got stuck in. You got so close to the end, I hate for a bug to stop you from seeing how it all turns out. ( you may have to click on the games frame to make sure it's in focus before pressing 1)
B) If you somehow get stuck again you can press "U" to restart the level.

I just want to thank you again Gagege for you super detailed post, and I hope you like how the game ends.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »

No problem. I'll play it again tonight. I really want to seem him pee off the top of the tower.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

The story isn't particularly good, but I enjoyed the ending. And the graphics look blurry which is a shame.
DrunkDevs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »

Glad you linked the ending. I'm not exactly sure what is causing the blur when using any other browser besides firefox.I'm am actively looking for a solution though.

Want more Drunk Devs?

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Mojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

I do like fast platforming, i will give the gamea try, it's playable with HTML5 no excuse to not give it a chance Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic