Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:29:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSix Sided Sanctuary
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Six Sided Sanctuary  (Read 6083 times)
poe
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

Six Sided Sanctuary is a puzzle game where you are a cube, you can attach panels to each of your six sides; each panel has special properties that allow it to preform various tasks such as:

Traverse Water
    Fly
    Climb Walls
    Relocate Minecarts
    Bounce Really High

Of course having panels does not necessarily mean you will solve every puzzle, you will need to organize the panels on yourself in such a way that you are sure you can solve each part of the puzzle. Orientation of the cube and where panels are positioned matters obviously.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/poe__
Moddb: http://www.moddb.com/games/six-sided-sanctuary
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92924038

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:42:24 PM by poe » Logged
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »

This is a very interesting expansion upon the 'flipping cube puzzle' genre (or whatever official title it holds). Your exploration of what is possible in these designs is what really sticks out in this project. Having the player modify the cube's faces is complex, but can allow for depth and variation. In particular, I thought the gameplay elements of the railroad tracks and moving blocks were cool; I think you could make a whole game out of that idea if you wanted to.

All you need are some visually appealing backgrounds.

Oh, and the sound effects are grating upon the ears. You want to either find higher fidelity samples or significantly decrease the current sounds' volume. In particular, the air boost sound is really bad, and made me cringe every moment before I stepped onto one.

But otherwise, this is great.

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
poe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »

This is a very interesting expansion upon the 'flipping cube puzzle' genre (or whatever official title it holds). Your exploration of what is possible in these designs is what really sticks out in this project. Having the player modify the cube's faces is complex, but can allow for depth and variation. In particular, I thought the gameplay elements of the railroad tracks and moving blocks were cool; I think you could make a whole game out of that idea if you wanted to.

All you need are some visually appealing backgrounds.

Oh, and the sound effects are grating upon the ears. You want to either find higher fidelity samples or significantly decrease the current sounds' volume. In particular, the air boost sound is really bad, and made me cringe every moment before I stepped onto one.

But otherwise, this is great.

Thank you, I'll hopefully be changing around sounds very soon; as well as getting unique sounds for touching each type of material(wood, stone, metal, etc)
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:19:24 AM »

It just crashes for me with a "Six Sided Sanctuary has stopped working" error. ...vshost.exe does the same.

poe
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:56:53 AM »

It just crashes for me with a "Six Sided Sanctuary has stopped working" error. ...vshost.exe does the same.

Could I have the specs of your PC?
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »

Windows 7 Ultimate
2GB ram
3 GHz Pentium 4 (can't remember which one exactly)
Radeon 6670/integrated Geforce 7100
random ATA 40GB hard drive
nForce 630i motherboard, with really weird sound drivers that sometimes fail OpenAL context creation.

poe
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »

I assume it's crashing on startup? EDIT: Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn9r3jigbe2hbzf/SSShopefulfix.rar
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:05 AM »

yes, it crashes on startup, the new fix too.
maybe write a log file thing? i've found them really useful in similar situations.

poe
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

Sorry this took so long.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yks236xjo67mmyt/SSSlogger.rar

It only records a few basic things but it should give me enough help to figure out when things are going awry.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

nice concept!

poe
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »

nice concept!

Thank you Smiley
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »

found out it crashes because I didn't have xna installed. after install it works just fine

poe
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »

found out it crashes because I didn't have xna installed. after install it works just fine

Ah wonderful Smiley Didn't realize you needed it so blame me for that one. Let me know how you like it.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

not being too good at puzzle games, i didn't even finish the first level. getting that cube in the right position to roll over the columns required much more thinking than i usually like to do when playing computer games.
either that, or you should make the first levels more easier.
maybe i just missed something really obvious.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »

I liked this! Nice and puzzly.

Some of the levels got a bit long, and I found myself wanting an English Country Tune style undo system.

Stopped at the first train tracks level. I *think* that the game glitched out and wouldn't open the exit when I brought the crate over to the button on the southern plateau.

poe
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »

I liked this! Nice and puzzly.

Some of the levels got a bit long, and I found myself wanting an English Country Tune style undo system.

Stopped at the first train tracks level. I *think* that the game glitched out and wouldn't open the exit when I brought the crate over to the button on the southern plateau.

Yeah that's the end of the demo. I was thinking about having a quicksave system for the player to use but I'm not sure yet.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »

Cool concept. I really like simple puzzle games like these. If you had 50 levels and introduced a new mechanic every 5 levels or so, I'd most likely sit down and play through all of them.

I struggled with the isometric view in the first level though. I fell off the ledge several times before I became accustomed to the the view. I would suggest adding an absolute front, back, left and right view as you cycle through the camera angles. There were a few moments in the game where I was on the edge of the map and I wasn't entirely sure where the cube would go if I pressed up or left.

Is the train track level passable? I got into a situation where I got myself stuck and couldn't reset the level so I had to exit the game.

Great job overall though.

poe
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »

Cool concept. I really like simple puzzle games like these. If you had 50 levels and introduced a new mechanic every 5 levels or so
I have something like that planned, alongside a level editor

I struggled with the isometric view in the first level though. I fell off the ledge several times before I became accustomed to the the view. I would suggest adding an absolute front, back, left and right view as you cycle through the camera angles. There were a few moments in the game where I was on the edge of the map and I wasn't entirely sure where the cube would go if I pressed up or left.
Hmm, sounds like a good idea

Is the train track level passable? I got into a situation where I got myself stuck and couldn't reset the level so I had to exit the game.
Not in that version

Great job overall though.
Thank you Smiley

Answers in bold.

not being too good at puzzle games, i didn't even finish the first level. getting that cube in the right position to roll over the columns required much more thinking than i usually like to do when playing computer games.
either that, or you should make the first levels more easier.
maybe i just missed something really obvious.

You don't have to roll over the column you simply move around it. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:07:28 AM by poe » Logged
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »

I got stuck in the first real level, not in tutorial. I'm not that stupid. :D

poe
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »

I got stuck in the first real level, not in tutorial. I'm not that stupid. :D

Haha my bad. Well the next version will have a level select so you can skip levels you don't like Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic