Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:03:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnEarth
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: UnEarth  (Read 9203 times)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »

I posted a thread about this in the regular feedback section but I thought I'd go a bit more in depth here and post regular updates.

UnEarth (working title) is a 2D platform shooter inspired by games like Motherload, Spelunky, and Cave Story.  It takes place on an uncharted planet filled with monsters, valuable metals, and remnants of an ancient civilization.

The finished game will have 4 different rock layers, each with their own monsters, traps, and giant boss enemy.  The first layer is more or less completed.  All I need to do is add some finishing touches on the first boss.  This game is being made with GameMaker 7

Click here to play the current version.

These screenshots are a bit out of date now that I've change the main character

Currently working on:
Layer 2

Known bugs:
Destroyed blocks sometimes don't light up the surrounding ones.  Cause: Unknown Mostly fixed

Variables don't work properly when loading a game.  Very rare.  Cause: Unknown  Maybe fixed?

Items in the inventory don't go to their proper slots, making it impossible to select certain items.  This seems to be caused by using different consumable items multiple times but I have not found a way to replicate this bug consistently.  Cause:  Unknown  By far the most annoying and most pressing bug.  FIXED

The first boss will sometimes split apart.  It fixes itself over time.  not very pressing  Cause:  Unknown  Maybe fixed?

Enviroment doesn't always work right, I'll get to this later.

Other problems:

Only a few balance issues here and there.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:41:57 PM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »

Unreal Planet is a 2D platform shooter inspired by games like Motherload, Spelunky, and Cave Story.  It takes place on an uncharted planet filled with monsters, valuable metals, and remnants of an ancient civilization.

Cool.  I hope there will be a story of this ancient civilization to uncover!

Items in the inventory don't go to their proper slots, making it impossible to select certain items.  This seems to be caused by using different consumable items multiple times but I have not found a way to replicate this bug consistently.  Cause:  Unknown

Look for differences in the inventory state before and after picking up and using a consumable.  It should be identical, but I bet something changes!

Songs don't loop very well.  Need to find a way to make it skip the intro when a song loops.

My solution to this has been to have two .ogg files, one for the intro (about 3 seconds long) and one for the looping component of my music.  I play the intro once, then loop the loop.  Of course, this depends on your engine being able to stream one file after another seamlessly.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »

Looks interesting.
Unreal Planet is a 2D platform shooter inspired by games like Motherload, Spelunky, and Cave Story.
Quite the inspiration!

Also I would consider lowering the contrast on the background. To me it competes too much with the foreground. Smiley

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

Looks interesting.
Unreal Planet is a 2D platform shooter inspired by games like Motherload, Spelunky, and Cave Story.
Quite the inspiration!

Also I would consider lowering the contrast on the background. To me it competes too much with the foreground. Smiley
Ha, if my game is even half as good as any of those games I'll be happy.

It's mostly just based on Motherload.  The main character is influenced quite a bit by  Cave Story from Cave Story.  Later in the game he'll be able to use rockets, and even a wave gun that fires through walls, though you could say that both of those are from Metroid as well.  Spelunky didn't really directly influence anything, but I thought about it a bit when designing how the different cave systems should turn out.

Also, the bg contrast has already been lowered quite a lot.  This is how it used to look:

Update:
I think I might have fixed the inventory bug from before.  I'm not sure, because no matter how hard I try I can only ever make it appear on accident.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

Update:
I've fixed a bug that came from my other fix for the inventory bug and have added several things to the first boss.

I've still yet to have anyone say they've beaten it Sad

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »

Ha, if my game is even half as good as any of those games I'll be happy.
heh agreed!

You might try lowering the contrast even more? Shrug

You can hardly even see the background in spelunky!

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

SUCCESS!!!

I've finally fixed that stupid, stupid inventory bug for reals this time!

Also, the bg contrast has been lowered ever further, and your starting maximum item capacity has been lowered to 10 as it was supposed to be (sorry)

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »

Woops, there was another item bug that I made accidentally when I tried to make a work around for that other bug when I didn't know what caused it but it's fixed now.  Sorry 1 guy that downloaded before I fixed it. Sad

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

I started working on layer 2 today.  It's completely empty so far, so it's not that interesting, but I thought I'd post a picture to show what it looks like.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:10:49 PM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »

Update Time!

I've added layer 2.  You'll need an upgraded gun to dig through this layer.  There's no monsters yet on this layer, but the one obstacle it does have made me giggle like a school girl when I tested it.  I'm not gonna spoil what it is but it's pretty sadistic. Big Laff

Other updates.
-Fixed some code to make the game run a bit smoother.
-Bats will only wake up when you're in their line of sight.
-You can now skip the tutorial and go strait to the main world.
-Some other small stuff I probably forgot.
edit: I made the running sprite for the main character more noticeable by making him bob up and down.  Tell me if you think this is an improvement.

Click here to play the current version.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:59:26 PM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »

Darker background realy made a different.

It's all good.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »

Update Time!

Missiles are now in the game!
They are part of a new gameplay element called secondary weapons.  These powerful weapons have special properties and work on an ammo based system that can be refilled at the shop similarly to health or fuel.  These can only be unlocked at the shop by defeating boss monsters (or other means that will be added later).

Once you have a secondary weapon you can press SHIFT to fire it.

Also, the working title for this game is now UnEarth, which suits this game much better than the last title.

-Other smaller changes have probably been added as well.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:40 AM »

Performance and bugfix update

Tweaked a bunch of stuff and now:

-New game worlds will generate almost instantly instead of taking nearly minutes to load.
-Game runs slightly faster(?)
-The lighting bug is now gone for good. (hopefully)
-When I was trying to make the world generate faster I seemed to have changed some things.  Cave systems now seem slightly larger and there seems to be more meteorite rocks.
-My boulder generation code seems to have broken from the change so boulders will spawn in places where they fall on their own. (I'll work on this tomorrow)

I've stayed up way too late working on this  Crazy

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

Contrast is one thing, but what's striking me is how much more detailed the background layer is than the foreground.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

Contrast is one thing, but what's striking me is how much more detailed the background layer is than the foreground.

I made a new background for layer 1 that I think fits more with the theme and hopefully will be less distracting.

How's this?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
cactipus
Level 0

Cats are neat. Cacti are too.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

I'm not sure if spelling is a concern currently, but when the tutorial explains how to eat waffles it says to hit 'C' to use the ones you've "eqiped" - not "equipped"

Looks good so far!

EDIT: Equipped is spelled with one 'p' a couple of times, not just in the above example.
EDIT2: I found a rolly-spikey guy glitching on a two-block space earlier, not sure if you've seen the bug.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:46:03 PM by cactipus » Logged

Octopodes  > Octopus
Cactipodes > Cactipus
It just makes sense.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

Update:

-The background for layer 1 has been changed!
-The instant generator had some problems so the world will generate in about 6 seconds now
-Boulders will no longer start in places where they immediately fall.
-Spelling corrections :D
-Blue Crawlers won't clump together now.
-Some other stuff.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »

I'm gonna title this the "Things I should have done a long time ago" update

-You can now jump higher or lower depending on how long you hold X.

-You can now throw away items by pressing Z while in your inventory.

-Animation for the flower enemy has been VASTLY improved.

-I've added a simple death sequence and Game Over screen.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Houndninja
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »

Following, this looks great  Smiley
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

I haven't been able to work on this game a lot because of school but I thought I'd post an update on what I'm working on.

These guys are enemies that can be found in the 2nd layer.  They hop around and explode when they are defeated.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic