Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:29:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI did something...!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: I did something...!  (Read 25424 times)
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »

I made something!

Its called Aether and its a simple experimental "Art" game about childhood and escapism. Its a very honest and personal project i've been a little worried about making public because its exposes a lot of the fears i had when i was a child and puts me in a vulnerable places. But i feel like there are some out there that can appreciate something honest that has a lot of heart.

You can play the flash version online here:
http://armorgames.com/play/2153/aether

and can also download the stand alone version for both Mac and PC here:
http://armorgames.com/misc/downloads/aether.zip

In the game you play as a boy who leaves the earth in search of life in outer space, someone he can relate to. in the process he discovers lost planets that need to be saved, solving puzzles on these planet bring life back to them and the galaxy expands.

I hope you enjoy our labor of love.
-Edmund
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:27:39 AM »

I love it.  Cool

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »

(I had problems on windows with the input getting all laggy, turning my keystroke repeat rate down fixed it (I think that's a general flash problem, had it before).)

As for the game, really enjoyed it! A nice bit of cutesy relaxation to start my evening. Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

very interesting experiment.
Unfortunately it lags and comes to a crawl on my computer, but it's not a warmachine either.
Only problem is WASD=fail, people with non qwerty keyboards can't really play.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »

man this is awesome.

I love exploring around, hold on I'm going to go do that some more.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »

Customizeable controls! :0

Either way, downloading now, going to play it later.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »

The controls are really cumbersome for me, since I'm using a laptop with a touchpad (not a mouse). But otherwise this is awesome! Kiss

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »

Dude, this game was awesome. My only problem is that some of the puzzles seemed fairly standard. The green planet was definitely my favorite.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »

pretty great, edmund!  I agree, green planet was excellent.  Escaping from the core of the crystal planet was a little bit weird.

cup full of magic charisma
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

wow really excellent.

yeah the puzzles were obvious, but it was still a very charming game.

I only wish there were more planets to explore.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

thanks guys, its just a prototype of the full game id like to finish next year. Tyler and i made that in 14 days so there isnt much depth in terms of more puzzles and game play, just a short "experience"

btw i think we have the arrow keys set as alts for asdw.. and yeah its not a game that can be played well on a touch pad.

glad you guys enjoy it so far, its funny to see the mainstream reaction compared to the indie scene.. most people playing it on flash sites think the puzzles are "too hard" and the gameplay too "obscure" Smiley

-Edmund
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »

This game is absolutely breathtaking!
I just love falling down like a meteor :3
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »

Right, one other thing. I'm experiencing massive lag, at least on the flash version. leaving atmospheres and landing on planets especially is giving me trouble. Just though I should mention it.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »

yeah it probably the point when the starts are generated and the color fades in, i highly recommend you download the standalone version (thats what i play) there is a link to a zip of both the pc and mac version on the title screen of the flash version.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 02:07:46 PM »

I tried this again, I was having some trouble on the green planet but I finally figured it out (haha, that was awesome)

And I really must stress that this is really an awesome game despite being short lived, really like the freedom within

I'm eager to see the full game that will be born from these mechanics Beer!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »

One more bit of feedback: Getting off of planets can be way troublesome. The gravity on some of the planets is killer, and it's especially irritating on planet green.

Also, will an option for lengthening or shortening your tongue be implemented? That's probably the biggest thing that I think is missing right now.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

One more bit of feedback: Getting off of planets can be way troublesome. The gravity on some of the planets is killer, and it's especially irritating on planet green.

Also, will an option for lengthening or shortening your tongue be implemented? That's probably the biggest thing that I think is missing right now.

I quite liked the gravity strength, even if just for the first part of the game. I didn't know anything apart from that it looked cute, so figuring out how to use the tongue and eventually escaping from the atmosphere was great fun, like I imagine it would be if you got a creature of your own and escaped earth for the first time. Smiley

Admittedly it was a bit extreme on green, but that's just part of the planet's gameplay. It still wasn't overly difficult or anything.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »

Wow, that game was surprisingly good.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »

I quite liked the gravity strength, even if just for the first part of the game. I didn't know anything apart from that it looked cute, so figuring out how to use the tongue and eventually escaping from the atmosphere was great fun, like I imagine it would be if you got a creature of your own and escaped earth for the first time. Smiley

Admittedly it was a bit extreme on green, but that's just part of the planet's gameplay. It still wasn't overly difficult or anything.

I think the gravity is not the problem, the tongue swinging mechanics could be a little more refined I think,
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »

It becomes a lot easier once you learn to use up and down as well as side-to-side to swing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic