Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:16:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSchrödy [Gameplay video added!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Schrödy [Gameplay video added!]  (Read 16863 times)
Skull
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

Last Update - November 5th 2012: Teaser video up!

October 6th 2012: Alpha gameplay video added!

THE GAME
This is a pet project of mine, and it's concept came originally from a small mockup I posted once to Pixel Joint. The game was originally being develop by me doing the graphic arts and programming, and my friend Moori doing the music and sfx. Recently awesome programmer Tokinsom joined us, and things have been progressing much more smoothly since then.

What is it about?
The game is a Halloween-themed mix of puzzle platforming and action platforming. You control Schrödy, the Black Cat, who can project his own soul out of his body to solve puzzles.

It plays like an average side-scrolling game when you're in cat-form, with enemies to defeat, spikes to avoid, and platforms to dominate.

The twist is that when you go into ghost-form, the screen locks to whichever position it was right before, and the puzzle-oriented possession game mechanics come into play.

Things to look forward to
I plan to have a playable demo of the game in the coming months, depending on how smoothly development goes.

By then, I intend for this game to have:

• A 'complete' game with feature-complete gameplay and a proper ending;
  • At least 3 different levels;
  • At least 5 different kinds of possessable enemies;
  • At least one hour of total gameplay;

From then on I might expand on the game and make a better and bigger version of it, but this is my first milestone.

And by 'feature-complete' you mean...
  • All of the cliché platforming interactions down (spikes, springs, moving rocks, falling rocks, etc);
  • The camera tricks and the movement for the ghost-mode fully functional in a non-frustrating, engaging way that keeps puzzles interesting and fresh;
  • Interesting and meaningful collectibles spread around the game world;
  • Possessable enemies unique enough to avoid making the game too repetitive;
  • Challenging and clever puzzles making the best possible use of the available enemies;

Cool, can I play it?
Soon! We're working non-stop on the game, and a playable build may pop up at anytime now, so keep tuned!

While you wait, why don't you check out our juicy teaser video!

Original post from the Art boards (Halloweenish Pixels):

I'm trying to get started with this pet project of mine about a black cat that goes around a cemetery and does spooky things. I've managed to throw together some mockups and screenshots, and I'm looking for feedback regarding the overall aesthetic.

Please? Smiley

Also, any ideas of what would look REAL COOL in there are very much welcome.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:06:40 PM by Skull » Logged

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

I think it looks sexy, but the again I love everything halloween (I myself have be planning a halloween related game, but I doubt it will ever get finished).

On the subject of things that look cool, this:

Think happy thoughts.
JoGribbs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

i like this good job *thumbs up*
Hue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

This looks absolutely delicious. My only concern is that the gravestones have a bit too much of a shiny, metal look to them. Maybe tone down the highlights and mess with the colours?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »

Agreed -- the tombstones are, well, stone, after all. Try to emphasize that.

If you're going Halloween, you'll need the staple monster-mash of the swamp-monsters, vampires, werewolves, skeletons, mummies, zombies... and I'm sure you can find some imaginative ghoulies as well, like Jiang-shi and stuff.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »

It looks really cool, vmenezio! The already mentioned grave stone looks a bit strange, and the clouds are a bit bland - otherwise I really like it!

Skull
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »

@s_l_m: Wow. That's really amazing! Hah, I need a badass looking owl in my game asap now!

@Jo Ho Ho: Thank you very much, sir.

@Inanimate: I'm currently working on concepts for other creatures, but they're not coming out as halloweenish as I wanted, I might need to insert a bit more 'cliché' into their overall design before I start actually pixeling them. Jiang shis are actually a very interesting idea that had never crossed my mind.

@Gravestones people: Is this more like it?

UPDATE! I'm working on a title screen of sorts for it. I hope the name pun is clear! Smiley

Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »

The gravestone definitely looks more stoney now. Big improvement there.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like you could add some more halloween style to the speech bubble (some cobwebs around the corners, or a gothic looking initial cap maybe). It's definitely not bad to keep the text simple but everything else has so much halloweenish-ness to it that the basic bubble and text seem left out.

As far as the name I got it immediately. It's probably not something that everyone would get but I think that's fine. It would be even more perfect if the cat was undead Droop
Shoryucas
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »

Looks real fucking good so far.

More lights would be nice, from jack-o-lanterns, candles, street lamps, etc. nice bright orange lights with lots of highlighting and shadows
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »

Flying brooms
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »

Are the pumpkins animated? I'd like to see the ones talking moving their mouths...

Yeah.
Ashkin
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 02:48:49 AM »

Aesthetic feedback: AMAZING.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »

Woah. These colors are perfect.

Skull
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »

@Rykuth: Thanks! And I hear ya. I plan on having a more halloweenfull version of the bubble for when you are in ghost-mode, but nothing too fancy, just a clean speech bubble with maybe a spookier feel to it.

@Shoryucas: That's actually a great idea! Still hard to be done right in terms of pixel, but something I'll be sure to try my hand at in the near future.

@Quarry: Featuring Witches or in a Fantasia 2000 kinda way?

@eyeliner: They have a placeholder 2-frame anim as of now:

But I do have bigger plans for this dude.

@Ashkin & Dom2D: Thanks!

Anyhow, working on a HUD now, any thoughs on how it looks?

Your feedback's been amazing, guys. Please keep it coming!

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »

HUD looks good overall, but that music button seems off.  The eighth notes are a tad squished.  Maybe try a single eighth note instead of two?
Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »

I think the lives/score are too big.
Shoryucas
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »

Yeah, I think it does seem a bit big, but if it's meant for smartphones it might be ok.

More unification between the elements would be nice; similar sized boxes, same rounded edges, etc.

Also the light purple doesn't really match, maybe if it was dark with light text and/or maybe a color closer to the sky.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »

The HUD feels too shiny and bright compared to the rest of the palette.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!  Smiley

KEEP IT UP!

but since you're looking for feedback, I would say:

make the corners less sharp,

not sure what the point of the game is (i just flipped through the pictures sorry), but platformers like this are always good with some coinage or little things that are hanging about that you have to pick up. Not sure if theres anything like this already but I would definitely add some in if theres not. You could also really play with the idea and make the item a trail of little fish (cause the main character is a cat) or some dead mice or something.

Um, I would also change the color palette a little (or add in some colors) to liven up the game a little (even though its supposed to be spooky ..). by introducing some redder hues or colder hues or something you'll make the game look more attractive overall.

This is an extreme example of using more colors.. but yeah:

by a3um

Dont get the name of the game at all.. or the pun.. sorry dude.

OH! and in the game you could possibly make some different terrain types (mud maybe?) for the cat to walk through, and when the cats walking through this certain terrain it goes slower and there could maybe be a cute animation of mud sticking to paws to go along with it (think about a cat who just stepped in water and how the react afterwards).

another really cool thing you could do is.. well, you see how some of your platforms and walls are less saturated--to indicate that they are farther back then the rest of the stuff I assume. Well, you could make it so to go 'farther' back, the player must press UP, and the cat will walk 'back' a moment and then become just as saturated as that level of objects. Sorry if that was confusing, but that would be a really cool feature in a game Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

Let the guy decide his game mechanics
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic