Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:32:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBonfire - comes out March 26!!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Bonfire - comes out March 26!!!  (Read 40256 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »

yeah, i don't just mean the numerical difference, i mean the effectual difference: having more armor means you survive longer, and the difference between 1hp and 0hp is huge, so anything that keeps you alive matters more for damage than actual damage matters for damage

some suggestions to balance that out would be a) to make reviving easier; give a hero a revive ability for example -- it'd make the most sense for the vampire (revive ally as undead?), or b) to give some heroes the ability to withstand deathblows -- e.g. perhaps the passive of the knight would be a 50% chance of withstanding an attack that would killer her (with 1hp remaining). or c) have some tanking items -- i don't mean +armor, i mean like an item that will absorb damage and then disappear, like the teddy bear in earthbound or something. or d) add an evasion stat with a % chance of evading (the ninja ally ability we talked about could drastically increase this stat for an ally); this would add more randomness but it'd also give characters with low armor more survivability if they have a high evade stat. this doesn't have to be a huge amount, even 15% evade would be a lot for a character to have (perhaps the ninja would have this normally, and the others like 5% or less)

Uykered
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:46 AM »

Is fullscreen or oculusrift support coming for this game?
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2013, 02:03:59 AM »

would even oculus rift work with any 2d game?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

I don't think armor is overpowered from my experience so far. Really, the dragon just isn't very strong in a one-on-one fight (and I had previously eliminated his allies).

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »

Played this for awhile today, great job! Screens really don't do it much justice, I wasn't to interested in it until I actually played it. Not sure if the tagline/description is the best explanation of what the game plays like.

The play reminds me of jrpgs but the simple tactical choices(enemy/ally/self) is really an innovative mechanic(I haven't seen it anywhere at least), deep menus can be tiresome and slow down play.

Uykered
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

Yeah I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but I definitely want to play it more when it gets fullscreen.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:19:35 PM by alastair » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

yeah i would not recommend advertising this as a roguelike; better to call it a strategy rpg or something. roguelike makes people expect random dungeons or ascii

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »

It feels like a new vein of jrpg.
* It's tactical for sure, but tactics is associated with isometric grid based combat.
* There is a bit of strategy in choosing your party, but it is not a strategy game, choosing your party along with items feels more like simple deck building.
* Classic might be a good word to use, it's not really old school, but the turn based aspect goes good with classic.
* I like that quests are fast paced. jrpgs tend to be linear anyways so this system cuts out what amounts to pointless exploration in a lot of jrpgs(which turns into easter egg hunts usually).

A tag line/genre that emphasizes the fast paced nature of the game's story, and a classic-based battle system. urk... Drawing a blank at the moment.. hm........ .. . . .  . ..   . . .

Bonfire:: The Classic Fast Paced Battler

I'm not too good with tags yet..

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »

Are the last two challenge quests in the game yet? I beat all the other quests, but I still haven't unlocked them.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:33 AM »

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Especially on the screenshots and the text on the website. I'm having real trouble getting the press interested in this game, so I'll try to do some more work there.

Are the last two challenge quests in the game yet? I beat all the other quests, but I still haven't unlocked them.
They are not available in this version, but coming in the next one.

Here's what coming in the next update in more detail.
And here's a general list of upcoming features.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

I really like the UI, but I thought of a few things that might improve it further.

When I first started playing, there were a few turns where I accidentally did the wrong thing because I mistook whose turn it was. Right now, the active character is indicated entirely through motion (the character jumps, the portrait glows). It would be nice if there was also an indicator the active character that didn't rely on motion, such as increasing the size of the portrait or changing its border.

Sometimes, I wanted to check how close I was to finishing a quest (so I could judge when to use items, for example). I would love if you could check the quest's progress by pausing the game or moving the mouse to the top of the screen.

I would like if the enemy health was displayed next to their other stats when you mouse over their portrait. It's a little annoying to have to mouse over their portrait and health bar separately.

That's about it. I'm looking forward to the next update! Smiley

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:05 AM »

All the heroes of Bonfire.

Thanks for feedback, Soulliard. Will add those improvements in the next update.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »

Still working on the first big update. Here's how it looks right now:

We did some additional work on the backdrops, as well as replaced the Dragon boss's sprite with a new one. I also made heroes a bit larger, and I think it works much better that way.

The update should come out pretty soon. I only have two more bosses to add and some hero recruitment scenes to work on. And yes, the new version will include fullscreen mode.

Tom Grochowiak
Uykered
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:11 AM »

Yay fullscreen!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:33 AM »

yay

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2013, 03:42:13 AM »

You should double-yay, Paul! It'll also have infinite mode, along with your idea of replacing dead heroes with different ones. And it's a total blast!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:29:38 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »

this game is mega fun, buying now

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »

Played the demo, its pretty fun and it has a lot of polish. I might pick it up for the iphone.

I just don't see why its being labeled a roguelike. Sorry.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »

wait wait -- you're the guy who is making a tactical rpg that *i* couldn't see why it's being labeled a roguelike, haha. but i think people use the term too loosely, yeah. the only thing roguelike about this game is that the battles are random, and that it's "hard" and you'll die a lot before you make progress. but if that counts as roguelike, that means early dungeon crawlers like wizardry, ultima, and the bard's tale were roguelikes because their battles were random and you died a lot

to me roguelike means something like the berlin definition: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

wait wait -- you're the guy who is making a tactical rpg that *i* couldn't see why it's being labeled a roguelike, haha. but i think people use the term too loosely, yeah. the only thing roguelike about this game is that the battles are random, and that it's "hard" and you'll die a lot before you make progress. but if that counts as roguelike, that means early dungeon crawlers like wizardry, ultima, and the bard's tale were roguelikes because their battles were random and you died a lot

to me roguelike means something like the berlin definition: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Wait for the demo okay? I think you'd be surprised how close it is to the Berlin definition Wink.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic