Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:07:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XI - Emotions (yoshimitsu wins!)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XI - Emotions (yoshimitsu wins!)  (Read 5168 times)
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:10 AM »

The rules:
-I (the host) will provide a theme for the challenge.
-You will be given TWO WEEKs to compose one song with said theme.
-The song must be a new track made for this challenge.
-You will post your song HERE, in the official challenge thread.
-Other participants will listen to your song. You will listen to other participants' songs. Critique will be had.
-A winner will be chosen by the host.
-The winner will host the next challenge.

Challenge Theme: Emotions

Sometimes emotions can be hard to describe in words, but they become easier to describe through musical means. Your challenge is to create a short musical piece that depicts one of the four basic emotions:

-Happy
-Sad
-Love
-Hate

Some Limitations and Expansions:

-The piece of musical cannot exceed 30 seconds in length
-Although one emotion per piece is suggested, you can include up to 2 emotions in the same piece of music. However, 2 emotions are not recommended as the length of the music  cannot exceed 30 seconds
-You can also submit up to 2 individual pieces for this competition.

Deadline: As you are given TWO WEEKS, entries must be posted by Tuesday Midnight EST on August 21st   Wink.

Good Luck Everyone!

EDIT: Please also include what emotion(s) you are depicting please!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:34:14 AM by Tejas Shroff » Logged

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »

These song competitions seem cool so I had a go, here's my attempt at sad: http://picosong.com/wSvR/

I hope more people enter this one, it doesn't take long so have a go!   Coffee
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »

Thanks for your submission SoundHound! I like your use of piano and strings!

I was also planning to allow competitors enter two entries instead of one. What do you guys think?

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »

Sounds good to me, I guess it would be testing the competitors on versatility and two weeks to do two thirty second pieces is still generous time-wise. I might get started on one of the other emotions now in fact... Feeling in the mood for composing today I guess.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »

Ok I made one for love, not an over the top puppies and rainbows love piece  Roll Eyes But a sitting together looking at the stars-type love piece. http://picosong.com/w6wd/

If you decide against the two entries idea Tejas then just judge my entry on whichever you like best (or dislike the least?)  Beg
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

Okay, I have decided that competitors can enter a maximum of 2 individual pieces for this competition!

E-RockSoundHound  Tongue: That's really nice! What instruments did you use? I think I only heard guitar and bells.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:55:14 PM by Tejas Shroff » Logged

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »

E-Rock?  Undecided Thanks glad you liked it  Smiley Yeah the string instrument is supposed to be a harp but does sound like a guitar, I should have found a better vst really. The other instruments are bells and an acoustic bass.
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

Haha, sorry about the name confusion...I should probably get more sleep... Smiley What DAW do you use? It looks like you use some MIDI based software.

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »

Ah thanks for clearing that up  Grin

I used cubase 5 for the compositions, I use it for all midi based stuff really but all my vst's are free so they don't have the most professional sounds *ahem*... I should probably get a professional sound library like Eastwest but they're so expensive. If I'm doing more traditional full orchestra stuff then I use sibelius 6. If I'm doing 'real' recording with microphones then I prefer pro-tools or Reaper if I'm using free software.

What DAW/s do you use Tejas?
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

Hey Soundhound, I started out with Finale 2009 back in the day, but I have recently switch to FL Studio 10 and I LOVE it. Its so much more professional, the interface is much easier to use, and it offers many effects and samples to get that unique sound that you are looking for.

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Lkcomposer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »

Hi i'm new here. This is my first shot at one of these challenges. This is my go at a sad theme. It came out as more of a theme for a fallen hero type thing but hey that's a pretty sad right. enjoy! http://picosong.com/w6yN/
toilet master
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2957395/toilet.mp3

toilet the song by me,Which is sad.

Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »

Lkcomposer, toilet master, welcome to the competition! You both have well constructed pieces!

Lkcomposer, I like your use of solemn string movements over the chords. Its kinda like what you hear in the movies!

Toilet Master, I really like your use of 8-bit stuff. Do you use MadTracker to make your music?

Thanks for entering, and just to let you know, you can enter up to 2 pieces!

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 06:07:34 AM »

I guess I'll also jump on the 'sad' bandwagon with the track 'Sadness': http://tindeck.com/listen/fvnn

As second emotion I picked 'hate', resulting in the track 'HATE': http://tindeck.com/listen/yral

If we're talking DAWs, these tracks (as well as anything else I've made) are made in FL Studio (version 9.1, using pattern blocks without any pattern clips).
Muuurgh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:08 AM »

@VDZ - Your hate piece reminds me of a part in an anime where someone's just getting steamed and the viewer knows that the other person's just going to get effed up.  Kind of like this: Evil Evil Evil Evil  Nice work X)

MattZ2007
Level 0

Composer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »

Here's my first piece: Falling

http://soundcloud.com/matt-pirtle/falling

It symbolizes hate.  Not hatred in the moment, but an obsessive, life-consuming hatred.

Edit: Yes it's double the alotted time, but that's because it loops.  Nothing changes after the loop, and it is under 30 seconds without it.  If you could just ignore it, I'd appreciate it.  I can/will upload a version without the loop, but I hate duplicates on my soundcloud.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:10:25 PM by MattZ2007 » Logged
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

Matt, I like your piece but it's double the maximum length:

'Some Limitations and Expansions:

-The piece of musical cannot exceed 30 seconds in length'
MattZ2007
Level 0

Composer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

I was just about to mention that it just loops the second time.  The time until it loops is below 30, is that okay?  If not, I can upload without the loop.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »

Oh yeah to be honest I only listened to thirty seconds so didn't check to see if it was a loop Facepalm, that's fine then
MattZ2007
Level 0

Composer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »

I corrected a bit of the mixing in my first piece.  The voicing was leading your ear with the Harpsichord and it just didn't work.  Nothing music-wise was changed, but it should be easier to follow now.

And here's my second:
http://soundcloud.com/matt-pirtle/alone

It symbolizes love.  Same deal as with the first: It loops at 30 seconds.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic