Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:59:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesKatamaran Vs Dalmatian Giraffe -UPDATED (v1.1)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Katamaran Vs Dalmatian Giraffe -UPDATED (v1.1)  (Read 45187 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »

Just a little heads up that I might be capable to release a post-compo version if people find stuff that would deserve being changed. Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06:41 AM »

Ok! I just had a proper play of this. I should probably point out that on my machine there's a graphics glitch meaning that I can't see any text display - it happened the first time I tried it and I got stuck on the menu, this time I managed to get into the game but couldn't see the time or lives or score Sad I'm not sure what's causing it.

A more serious issue though, is that this game sent my CPU into overdrive. It went straight to 100% usage and my laptop fan kicked in; which is only a problem because when that happens my laptop makes a sound like a chainsaw and I'm worried it's not going to last much longer Cry Please yield some time to let the CPU rest in your main loop in future versions!

There are definitely some gameplay issues - the time for certain levels seems too low and I'm not sure what purpose the lives serve (and why not just let the player save after every level?) - there were also quite a few cases where it wasn't clear what you could pick up visually because occasionally you could pick up certain bigger objects before you could pick up smaller ones; and as a result you ended up having to rely on the pointer to get anything... These aside, though, the core gameplay was pretty satisfying - unfortunately I haven't played Katamari Damacy so I don't really know to what extent you've demade the gameplay, but I really enjoyed the feeling of getting bigger and being able to absorb bigger and bigger objects! I got as far as the continent/space stage but ran out of time and had to leave it there, but the game was pretty interesting up till that Smiley

I've never had one of those calculators or whatever so I guess I can't appreciate it at the demake level, but you get a perfect score from me from a bootleg perspective :D It's got a gritty lofi feel that's second only to Lady Boy Love Collection from what I've played of the contest entries so far, and the bizarre lovecraftian stuff was a perfect theme to explore with this game. Kudos! :D

I think I'll have to wait for you to fix that CPU thing before I can go on to play the last stages though...

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 08:09:07 AM »

Okay I'll look into this CPU problem, thanks.

nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »

I like the idea and execution of this demake very much.  It would have been nice to have this to play in Math class, I always got in trouble when I played my Game Boy.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »

All right, I managed to find a BIG problem that was indeed fucking with the CPU (I was doing something retarded) and I also set a few wait cycles in the main loop.
So it should be mucht lighter on everyone's CPU.
See first post for version 1.1.
I don't know if it will really solve your particular problem Terry, but it might.

And for the record I have never played katamary damacy myself, so it's mostly a view of how it plays IN MY HEAD.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »

never played katamary damacy myself

And I tought you loved me!

anyway, it's nice to see that few popes have enjoyed it.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »

Yeah, in case I wasn't clear, I did enjoy it, A LOT, hence why I wrote so much. Nice work you three! Beer!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »

And by the way, this version does indeed fix the cpu thing, cheers Smiley Unfortunately I still have that text display problem Sad

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »

could you describe the problem? just no text?
I'm affraid it might be a driver related problem.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »

Love this game. Brilliant use of weirdness. No technical issues at all for me.
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

We need to seal Terry's laptop immediately so it's preserved for future generations. Based on Terry's experience with "Hold me closer, Giant Dancer" and your game, that laptop should be elevated to the same status as the International Prototype Kilogram. i.e. If your game works on Terry's laptop, it will work on ANY PC.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »

that laptop should be elevated to the same status as the International Prototype Kilogram.
Dude! WE HAVE TO STEAL IT!

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »

We need to seal Terry's laptop immediately so it's preserved for future generations. ... that laptop should be elevated to the same status as the International Prototype Kilogram. i.e. If your game works on Terry's laptop, it will work on ANY PC.

Done.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »

I, uh...

Shocked

Anyway, my laptop looks more like this:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:12:15 PM by Terry » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »

Quite clearly, it is physically made of win.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »

We need to seal Terry's laptop immediately so it's preserved for future generations. Based on Terry's experience with "Hold me closer, Giant Dancer" and your game, that laptop should be elevated to the same status as the International Prototype Kilogram. i.e. If your game works on Terry's laptop, it will work on ANY PC.

That's actually what I was thinking.
Terry, don't ever change your computer.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 06:47:56 PM »

Hmm. I think your laptop exceeds the maximum awesome that can be handled by these games.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »

r..  really?? thats soo cooool!
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 03:32:08 AM »

Err... how did you people get to level 12 and 14?! I couldn't get past level 2, because I couldn't move to the things that were edible.

Btw, what game is this a demake of? The gameplay really feels like Tasty Planet (which is a good thing).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 06:14:54 AM »

Err... how did you people get to level 12 and 14?! I couldn't get past level 2, because I couldn't move to the things that were edible.

Btw, what game is this a demake of? The gameplay really feels like Tasty Planet (which is a good thing).
It's supposed to be of katamary damacy but, yeah there might be some influence from TP (that I've played unlike KD).
As for level 2, yu have to go after the small triangle things first (go around the stack of "faces", there a stash of triangles on the right )

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic