Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411479 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 08:57:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMy Music (with editables!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Music (with editables!)  (Read 3150 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I got inspired today to throw all my music in zip folders and publish them online.

If you don't know who I am or what games this music is in (which is probably pretty likely), all the games which contain this music can be found at my site: www.mattmakesgames.com

Now then, here we go:

An Untitled Story Soundtrack
My first venture into music composition.  An Untitled Story was a game about self-expression, so I felt like I should make everything in it, including the music.  You can definitely tell I was new to the art, but I think I produced some good stuff.  The entire soundtrack is MIDI (composed in Guitar Pro 5), so unfortunately I can't guarantee it'll sound very good on all computers.  However, the fact that it is MIDI means that all 42 tracks compress down to a ridiculously small 63 KB.

Download: 63 KB - (.mid soundtrack)
My favorite: 21. Telling Time - One of the only successful products of my 5/4 experimentation phase.  Switches between 4/4 and 5/4 a lot over the course of the track.

FLaiL Soundtrack
I found PXTone just as I was wondering what I was going to do about FLaiL's music, and fell in love with the interface and the included samples.  Thus, all of FLaiL's tracks were composed using PXTone and only the included samples.  In FLaiL, Zones 4, 6 and 8 are night-time versions of Zones 1, 3 and 4 - so the music for the former are remixes of the tracks for the latter.  I've included the PXTone editable files in case you want to learn from them (if that's possible) or do a remix or two.

Download: 8.4 MB - (.ogg soundtrack, .ptcop editables)
My favorite: Zone 5 Theme - I love how mellow it gets, and the build-up at the end.

Jumper Three Soundtrack
I continue my love affair with PXTone (and the new samples Pixel distributed with the newer version)!  Again, it's all in PXTone with included samples.  My style became a lot "tighter" for this soundtrack - no more long, drawn out build ups - mostly due to size constraints but also because a Jumper game demands minimalism.  My main inspiration for this soundtrack was The Polyphonic Spree's The Fragile Army album.  I think this inspiration is most apparent in the drum lines and the Sector 5 Theme.  Again, I've included the PXTone editable files in case you want to learn from them (if that's possible) or do a remix or two.

Download: 7.5 MB - (.mp3 soundtrack, .ptcop editables)
My favorite: Sector 5 Theme - Original title was "Let's Go! March to Happiness!"  The ending melody was actually going to be vox singing the title to that melody, but my singer friend was busy up until the game's release.

Tunnel Vision
This is just a miscellaneous track I composed between FLaiL and J3 for fun.  It's one of my longer pieces, and I like it all except the ending.  Maybe I'll go back and change that later.  Composed in PXTone with included samples.

Download: 2.3 MB - (.ogg track)

Naturally, all these tracks are copyright me.  Tell me what you think or, even better, post a remix and blow my stuff out of the water.

Good day sirs Gentleman Thanks for listening.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »

Man that's a lot!
I sure didn't have time to listen to everything, but I listened to a bunch of the midis and I liked a lot of what I heard. It seems, though, as though a lot of these tracks are kind of just one idea that gets played with and then put back down. I think it takes 2-3 concepts to make a really full feeling song, so that they can play against each other and create a kind of narrative texture to the piece. I have absolutely no idea if any of that made sense.
Anyway, from what I listened to I thought that Precipitation had the best feel. I think it was the backbeat that did it for me.

Man, now you've got me wanting to go through my old midis and post some of them  Grin

ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »

Finally, a place where I can get 'em all at once Smiley thanks, Matt. *updates playlist*

This was a cool idea. Why don't you post this on your site as well?

Hehe, I used your Tunnel Vision in that example I sent to CosMind regarding the Ogg playback DLL. Good song.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »

Oooh. The Untitled Story soundtrack is one of my favorite game soundtracks. Danke very much.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »

yes, YES, YES!!!

You sir, are a true gentleman!   Gentleman

It's great to see another person make their games' great music accessible!  I've been playing some of Cactus' games recently, and not being able to have quick access to that music has been really bugging me.

Oh, and you use GM too, right?  So how have you been using .oggs with it?  An extension perhaps?  Any info would be great!
ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

If you want an engine for playing oggs, best to use FMOD or SuperSound or something like that. I have a SuperSound.dll example handy if you want Smiley Just PM me and I'll email it to you.

Other than that, I think the last time I talked to him on MSN he said he was gonna make an extension to play PXTone files with GM. That'll be rad, and the program to make them is free. Smiley but I'm not sure if he was gonna go through with that.

I can set you up with an example for using FMOD as well, no prob. Smiley

EDIT: drr. i wrote that wrong the first time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:13:44 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »

Great, I'll let you know when I need it (I'm trying to stay focused on graphics work right now, and if I start sound I may get completely sidetracked).  Thanks again  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic