Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:45:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: DwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World  (Read 99312 times)
elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »

Seeing this thread for the first time, just wanting to say, looks very nice - lots of love in there.

Keep it up!

Elija
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:37 AM »

Glad you're back. The last few shots look promising for sure.

Like, there's micromanagement that allows you to build elaborate structures, but you also have automation for the mining and such. The perfect scope for a building game.
Ragzouken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:44 AM »

This is really beautiful! Do you have any plans to have ramps/slopes (like in DF) to make the terrain smooth?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »

You may wish to check out MonoGame, it seems like a fairly straight-forward way of porting XNA based projects to many platforms.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »

You are now my idol.

BACK. OFF. Bleak only gets to have ONE creepy stalker-ish fan, and that's ME. BITCH.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »

Fight to the death.

Ooh, let's start up a religion!

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »

There is no God but Bleak and Madk is his prophet
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »

I've been working on drastically improving my GUI. Writing a widget system from scratch inspired by the Qt system (which I use a lot at work).

What I have so far:
  • Widget hierarchy
  • Basic layout management
  • Events for clicking, hovering, etc.
  • Buttons
  • Checkboxes
  • Sliders
  • Combo boxes
  • Group boxes
  • Radio buttons
  • Skins
  • Window animations (tweening,etc)
    • Screen transitions

I've also pixeled all the widgets myself (to save my artist some headaches). So I hope it doesn't look too bad!

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »

Wow, how did I miss this? Or have I missed really it (it's quite a massive thread)...

...maybe I ignored it though because it's XNA, which is evil, evil, imo since it locks you in. No Mac or Linux version.  Cry

Either way, regardless of how neat it looks, it will live and die (beyond its hardcore fanbase) by the intuitivity and accesibility of the user interface. I still haven't played a game like this which has nailed it (and that includes Towns and Gnomoria).

The graphics are the most impressive I've seen so far, though (I personally didn't enjoy the final look of A Game of Dwarves). Let's hope the UI will match it!

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »

Awesome.  I've been working on my own set of GUI-widgets recently so I'd be interested in hearing any details you care to give on how it all works.

One critique:  I really can't read that text.  Well, I can, just about, but it makes my eyeballs feel like they are trying to tear themselves out of my head.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

The stroke makes such a small, thin font look messy. Maybe it's made worse than it actually is by the screenshot being scaled down, but all I see is "Frogneas Bar".
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »

I put my GUI to good use and made the world generation screen slightly more interactive. You can see a bunch of different layers which contribute to the overall world, and set the random seed. Here, I've chosen to view "Faults" of the world, and have chosen the seed "Bleak":

I've also made some pitiful debug enemies that I call "dark dwarves." Incidentally, they are the first enemies in the game, and the first way that dwarves can die. They just sort of run at each other and hit each other with the mining picks until one or the other is dead (this just involves the guy disappearing in a puff of smoke right now). To do this I had to implement sensor callbacks and allow dwarves to decide when something is "threatening". Dark dwarves are always threatening. I mean, just look at them.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

Messing around with importing heightmaps:

This is what michigan looks like:

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

No way, you code for 7 years only? With such amazing effects? Epileptic
And you can add so much in such little time? Who, Me?

Madk, make some room

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »

Implemented barrels today:

General containers were actually pretty simple to implement. They are just another kind of "zone" (like stockpiles and rooms) which are attached to an entity rather than a voxel or set of voxels. So the AI already knows how to get things out of barrels and stock them in barrels. The only complication is that now barrels can be inside stockpiles (and in fact any number of containers can be nested inside other ones). This actually creates an interesting paradox where you can put barrels inside other barrels, and keep doing this forver, storing everything on one tile. I will fix this exploit at some point.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

Will the final barrels have those numbers on them? I think it doesn't look too good, and it'll be confusing with a lot of barrels.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

Will the final barrels have those numbers on them? I think it doesn't look too good, and it'll be confusing with a lot of barrels.

It's a debug thing for me. Soon I will implement tool tips. It will show data about whatever your mouse is over.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2013, 03:31:56 AM »

So, that barrel is sort of 2d?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:15 AM »

Better! It's a sprite
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:12 AM »

We really want to play it already  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
A mix of Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft is my wet dream, and not mine alone.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic