Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:16:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: DwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World  (Read 99251 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »

Madk, make some room

NO.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »

Then I shall fight for it!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »

Hand Knife Right Corny Laugh

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »

Really hype to play this. I want to see where the game goes once the player gets a working base established.

madk you have changed your profile picture three times today
where did you even find bill gates with a pineapple
i mean come on
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »

As I have said before, this looks great! I like the Dark Dwarf. Do you have a backstory for them? Such as Dwarves driven mad by greed? (just like Thráin father of Thorin)

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »

As Bleak said, they're just placeholders. It's been a while since I last really worked on graphics for the game, so any lack of updates can mostly be attributed to me. I am currently working on an enemy, but it's going to have to wait until after GGJ weekend.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

Name your challenge, foe!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »

Love the idea of this game, playable Dwarf Fortress. The art is lovely, keep it up Coffee

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »

Hey, is this project dead with the death of XNA?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »

I don't think so

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »

I've been pretty slow with updates to this game, sorry. It's not dead, just a bit dormant as we gear up for the kickstarter Wink

XNA isn't "dead," it just isn't supported on Windows 8. But seriously, who cares about windows 8? If push comes to shove I might port it over to Monogame or Unity.

poe
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »

I've been pretty slow with updates to this game, sorry. It's not dead, just a bit dormant as we gear up for the kickstarter Wink

XNA isn't "dead," it just isn't supported on Windows 8. But seriously, who cares about windows 8? If push comes to shove I might port it over to Monogame or Unity.

XNA can still be installed on win8 as well, so it's as unsupported as win7.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

every time i read this i want to die.

Unless microsoft breaks backwards compatibility with almost every graphical app written in the past 5 years, XNA will continue to work. Just because there isn't an active development team doesn't mean it's not a good framework or that it's dead, and this isn't even considering how well monogame is doing.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »

So I've been working on generating nicer room furniture using templates and random sampling. It's not great, but it's better than the algorithm I had before (which just put furniture at regular intervals):

It prefers to put lamps near corners, tables with free squares around them, and tables near beds. The top room is a "common room" which just has tables, and the other two are "bedrooms" which have beds, tables and lamps.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »

I want to fornicate with you on one of the beds in that screenshot, and then on all of the tables.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2013, 02:05:10 AM »

Will we be able to place furniture manually?

VirusN
« Reply #256 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

Love the idea of this game, playable Dwarf Fortress. The art is lovely, keep it up Coffee

Big Laff
You just went full plebeian.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »

Will we be able to place furniture manually?

I think that's desirable, but it will come later. The model I'm working off here is Dungeon Keeper 2, which has furniture populated by room type + special items that are crafted and put in place by the player (like traps, doors, etc.) That way the player didn't have to put down every bookshelf in the Library, or every bed in the Lair, but had control over where they put traps and doors, etc.

I think I will end up making it possible to move items, but not necessary for the player to do so. One of the most annoying parts of dwarf fortress was putting every seat + table + bed in place one by one. But some players like doing this!

What I'm thinking right now is:
1. place a room. The items will be populated automatically using the algorithm I devised.

2. If you want, you can select the objects and move them. A dwarf will come and grab the item and move it.

3. If you build a "workshop", you can then build and place crafted items. Dwarves will automatically go to the workshop, build the item, and then put it in place.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »

Just some more dwarves in their dwarfy home

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »

Made a shitty programmer art balloon (which will be used to ferry supplies and dwarves to and from the land for trade).

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic