Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:41:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)  (Read 12828 times)
medieval
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »

The rules:
-I (the host) will provide a theme for the challenge.
-You will be given TWO WEEKs to compose one song with said theme.
-The song must be a new track made for this challenge.
-You will post your song HERE, in the official challenge thread.
-Other participants will listen to your song. You will listen to other participants' songs. Critique will be had.
-A winner will be chosen by the host.
-The winner will host the next challenge.

Challenge theme: Wasteland

You are a lone drifter in a desolate and harsh environment, with little to no sign of civilization. Your next challenge is to create a piece of music that fits this atmosphere. You can interpret the description in any way you want; you could be traversing the sand dunes in the scorching heat, surviving in a world ravaged by nuclear weapons, viruses or even dark magic, or traveling across the treacherous arctic glaciers.

Conditions:
-There are no time constraints for this challenge. Make it as long or short as you like!
-A backstory or a description of the landscape is optional, but might be useful for me to judge your musical piece more accurately.
-You may only submit ONE (1) piece written specifically for this challenge (obviously)

Deadline: As you are given TWO WEEKS, entries must be posted by Thursday Midnight EST on September 6th

Good luck y'all!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:31:08 AM by yoshimitsu » Logged
lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »

All I can think of that suits this kind of stuff is that boring atmosphere stuff from Fallout ;_;

Unless I treat it as an individual map from an RPG or something... Would that count too?

(After reading your ice glaciers thing, I sort of felt relieved since I can do those.)
medieval
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »

All I can think of that suits this kind of stuff is that boring atmosphere stuff from Fallout ;_;

Unless I treat it as an individual map from an RPG or something... Would that count too?

(After reading your ice glaciers thing, I sort of felt relieved since I can do those.)
No rules apply other than the presence of atmosphere in the song, so just make sure it's in there somewhere and do whatever you want with it
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:20 AM »

Alright cool ^^  I made my humble attempt on my iPad (wat) since my PC is currently being used for an event (what a hassle...)

Here: http://soundcloud.com/lamontx/snow-wasteland

Brief explanation? Okay: Imagine you're playing an RPG and you got stranded in an anarctic-ish island somehow, without any party members, and literally no signs of life around you. You can barely see in front of you due to the heavy snow, and sometimes you notice an undead soldier and/or sorcerer roaming around then attacking you. Doesn't shift to battle music, it's more of a real time thing such as Final Fantasy XII or Allods Online.  Panda

Early congrats on your 3000th post, by the way.
medieval
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »

@LamontX: It sounds great! I am definitely getting the vibe you are trying to convey, and it's a solid composition at that. The second half of the song was not at all what I had expected, but it worked surprisingly well! Nice job Smiley

3000th post
DING!
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »

Hooray!

Finally found the time to participate again.
I've been watching the last few rounds with excitement, lots of great music in there!

So here's my entry:
Marooned

No description - I'll just let the music speak for itself. Smiley

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »

@Moritz: Wow, it sounded like it came straight out of Fallout or something. You used some pretty cool sounds there, actually. I don't know why someone in the comments was bothered by the "complex" rhythm about a minute in, since I've seen some much heavier stuff (such as some prog metal riffs in 7/4) being taken pretty normally by braindead pop music fans. I personally enjoyed the drums.  Smiley

And now for the sad side... *Gasp!*

My only complaint is that overly atmospheric music isn't exactly the most enjoyable thing. Maybe you could browse through some Chrono Trigger OST, there are some tracks that balance atmosphere and music almost perfectly. Still, good job man.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:46:28 PM by lamontx » Logged
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »

Moritz your piece is very competently mixed and arranged, nice balance between the pitched percussion and those drums sound nice and meaty Kiss

Actually reminds me of a band I used to be in (I'm a drummer you see), brings back memories Cool

@lamontx The person you refer to in the comments seems to be complimenting the rhythms, not bothered by them. And what's your obsession with the chrono trigger OST? You mentioned it in the last competition.

I probably won't be entering this one as I'm going to be in Berlin on holiday today, but good luck to everyone who enters and I hope to listen to the entries when I'm back *which I'm sure will be awesome* Epileptic
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »

Actually, in the previous competition, someone made something that sounds like it came from chrono cross. Besides, isn't it a bit early to judge what my obsessions are, considering I only have around 5 posts in this forum?

But since I havne't made a proper introduction, I'll say that my main influences are from FF tactics, Star Wars, Chrono Cross, Touhou, and a few others I'll post in whatever introduction-ish thread I find.

Well anyway, I hope you find time to make something for this competition. You never know if you'll win because of it!  Panda
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »

Thanks, guys! Smiley

I decided to go with a more ambient / rhythmic approach for this. Check out the other stuff on my SoundCloud for more melodic pieces.

@lamontx:
Believe me, I know the Chrono Trigger soundtrack by heart! Probably one of the games I played through most. I really enjoyed the nearly-unchanged NDS port, too.
Chrono Trigger has really great music, particularly in the sense that it works with the art direction, gameplay and story line in a commendable way and makes good use of the S-SMP's capabilities - but it's not really the first reference that came to my mind when I read the competition's theme. You came up with lovely music that way, though! Reminds me of the 2300 AD theme a bit. (sans the filtered white noise wind effect)

Looking forward to hearing more entries of this, hope we get to hear a lot of different ideas again! Go Go TIGster composers!

Cheers,
Moritz

lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:59 AM »

You have some really nice funky/jazzy style music, Moritz  Smiley That's pretty admirable in my opinion. Your more serious orchestral stuff from 10 months ago though... Well... Aha *scratches head* 

I really enjoyed your Grem Legends stuff. Later on, I'll upload some of my orchestral scores for Solaria (RPG), perhaps we could exchange advices on those aspects? Glad to know you're a fan of Chrono Trigger, by the way. What other games are you into?
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 12:46:22 AM »

You have some really nice funky/jazzy style music, Moritz  Smiley That's pretty admirable in my opinion.
Thanks!

Your more serious orchestral stuff from 10 months ago though... Well... Aha *scratches head*
Don't know what "Aha" means, but yea - that music is a bit dated. Most orchestral tracks I've been doing the last few months are still under NDA, but there will soon be a major update.

I really enjoyed your Grem Legends stuff. Later on, I'll upload some of my orchestral scores for Solaria (RPG), perhaps we could exchange advices on those aspects?
Sure - it's a fascinating and very broad topic, maybe we should open a separate thread to discuss some tricks and common practices. Once my main orchestral project is released, I'd be happy to provide some arrangement samples and go into detail about the composition and orchestration process. (if you're interested - it'd probably get pretty technical)

Glad to know you're a fan of Chrono Trigger, by the way. What other games are you into?
Producing video game music is my main job, so I try to check out as many games as possible. RPGs and action adventures are probably my favorite genre, though... I grew up with Mega Drive/Genesis and SNES games and replay them on a regular basis (from Landstalker and Phantasy Star to Terranigma and Chrono Trigger), but I've definitely got some love for modern titles too. (Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, the more recent Elder Scrolls titles...)

Cheers,
Moritz

Muuurgh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:57:36 AM »

I wasn't going to enter this competition, but I wrote something short this weekend and was about to post it in the main thread when I thought, 'Hey! This kind of fits the theme of the challenge...'

So yeah, here's "Streets of L.A.": http://soundcloud.com/scorevgm/streets-of-la

This was a "write first and title later" piece; it's named what it is because I heard "sinister ongoings on metropolitan streets," essentially.  But, that being said, I think it would fit walking the streets of a city that's been blown to bits or one that has been struck with a plague, leaving dead bodies everywhere.  Maybe the protagonist wakes up and finds this and is wondering what the hell happened; maybe something was supposed to stop all of this between when he went into cryogenic sleep and woke up.

lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »

@Moritz: Well, by "aha", I mean it wasn't very good xP

But yeah, if you're going to make such a thread, please make it as complicated as possible, speak Korean if you have to, most musicians would be interested enough. If not, then just me! Lol  Smiley

@Muurgh: I'm definitely getting the fallout town-ish vibe, so I guess it does fit the wasteland challenge. Though it's more for a 2D kind of thing I imagine, with dirty hobos and graffiti everywhere. Pretty good  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:20:57 AM by lamontx » Logged
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »

Fair enough - you're entitled to your own taste, and since you offer no real feedback, I guess it's just that.

lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »

Fair enough - you're entitled to your own taste, and since you offer no real feedback, I guess it's just that.
Ah I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. I'm sure you'll improve quickly anyway  Smiley
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »

Ah I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. I'm sure you'll improve quickly anyway  Smiley
No worries! If I couldn't take criticism, I'd be doing the wrong job entirely. Smiley
It's just that feedback isn't very useful and just sounds a bit rude if if you only say "it's not very good". Other people might take that personally - just as a heads-up.

But let's not hi-jack the thread any further. Gentlemen: Proceed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:42:56 AM by MoritzPGKatz » Logged

medieval
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »

Nice entries so far, people!

@Moritz: I love the creepy vibe I get from your tune, the paranoid feeling fits the "fallout" theme very well. Crazy rhythm and the tension builds up massively. Great job.

@LamontX: The first three notes of your tune reminds me of some Legend of Zelda compositions (it sounds similar to something in Ocarina of Time). This means it's awesome. If this were recorded with live instruments it would be beautiful, but alas. It's still a great piece, even if it was done on an iPad

@Muuurgh: I dig that metal sound. Nice and mean song! Go more crazy on the atmosphere though, as much as I like what you did, it does not entirely fit the theme of the challenge.
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »

Ah I've been told that so many of my tunes remind people of Zelda music. The funny thing is, I've never played Zelda nor have I listened to it's OST.  Panda

@Moritz: Sorry, again  Smiley maybe if you have MSN we could discuss this?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:39:14 PM by lamontx » Logged
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »

I decided to give this one a go, despite having very little experience in composing and mixing. Was fun nonetheless, here is my entry: http://soundcloud.com/alcyoneus/wasteland-wanderer-1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic