Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:41:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInside Busters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inside Busters  (Read 10391 times)
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »

The "A Game By Its Cover" competition encouraged me to take a little experiment in destructable terrain and turn it into something more. This was a solo project, however I used some music from ocremix.org. I only realised the competition was on recently so unfortunately I entered a little late and didn't get everything I wanted done. Since then, I've gone back and added a whole bunch of stuff to make a full demo for the game. Whether or not I continue to make a full game with a few more levels and bosses I'm unsure but feedback is always appreciated.

Game Play
The game is an action platformer taking place in destructable environments.

Synopsis
A massive planet eating alien is heading towards Earth. You play one of a number of astronauts tasked with stopping it. You find yourself injected into the alien, its internals consist of a 'Worms' like destructable environment which you must navigate in order to destroy its vital organs and the creatures inhabiting it.

Here is a link to the game:
DOWNLOAD GAME

- Controls -
Keyboard/Xbox

Arrow Keys/Left Joystick - Move.
S/Left Trigger - Stationary.
Z - Jump.
X - Shoot.

To view the game being played on youtube:

Here's a screenshot and the famicase inspiring the game:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:54:38 AM by zeid » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

This is really cool - that has to be one of the best boss fights I've played in ages! Beer!

brettchalupa
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »

I am guessing this is for Windows, so I cannot play it. However, based off that screenshot, it looks very interesting. Smiley

I would love to see a video of the gameplay or some screenshots!
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:07 AM »

I am guessing this is for Windows, so I cannot play it. However, based off that screenshot, it looks very interesting. Smiley

I would love to see a video of the gameplay or some screenshots!

You can now watch a playthrough of the game from the following link as per request. Smiley

This is really cool - that has to be one of the best boss fights I've played in ages!  Beer!
Cheers, glad you enjoyed it. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:58:56 AM by zeid » Logged

brettchalupa
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »

Thanks a bunch - it looks great! I liked the music and the boss fight does look sweet. Smiley
bobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »

Nice game! I like it, but can you make the 2nd snake, like, you dont have to hit him in his head to damage him, and i defeated the boss :3  Noir  Hand Metal Left
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

Nice game! I like it, but can you make the 2nd snake, like, you dont have to hit him in his head to damage him, and i defeated the boss :3 Noir Hand Metal Left

Thanks, yeah I had meant to make the 'seed' bottom area of the hanger things vulnerable to attack but forgot about it.  The line area of their body is going to remain invulnerable but I will definately add the seed area collision in.  Cheers for the feedback and good job killing the boss and finishing the demo. Smiley

Out of curiousity does anyone think I should continue this project to try and make it into a full game with around 3-6 levels, all with bosses and more content?

bobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

I like that! Can you make an installer that gets the source directly into program files,
so we dont have too waste, and we can choose zip install or installer.  Smiley
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

Absolutely LOVE IT! In every way. The mechanic is genius! And tons of fun. I certainly hope to see it taken further as far as tactics, that boss battle was damn fun.

I just love how authentically Japanese it is, I mean, let's face it.. You can stick a helmet on someone, and it makes them instantly cool. Power Rangers(super sentai) ? Megaman? Psssh.

The only negative thing I can say about it is the music.. Now, don't get me wrong, the music is great.. But, it just didn't.. Fit. It sounded a little too modern and complex for a game of this nature, which to me.. Just oozes everything I'd adore about classic 2-D shooters. I'm not saying limit it merely to a chiptune.. But, just something a little bit more.. Retro. Or at least retro sounding, but slightly modernized. I mean, how would you like the music? I wouldn't say it's the game to demand an epic, adventure ballad (wily's castle theme, for example), but rather it's begging for something smiley a dirty sounding.

"Mischievous, lewd" are words that should be induced by it's soundtrack, I think. Maybe a hint of cute, too..

Anyway, I'm a composer. I'm really new, well not to composing, but offering my compositions to others. Still expanding my software and sounds slowly but surely, but I'd love to offer my compositions. If you like, I could make a batch of examples this week, each track conceptualised around this fantastic game.

Anyway, yeah, love it. Got a lot of potential, you did a fantastic job with it's aesthetic, bravo!
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »

I'm really glad you liked the game, and thanks for such a positive response.

I did have a lot of trouble with the music as I have absolutely zero musical talent. I certainly tried to get something a little more retro, but in the end had to settle with the best I could find.

Anyway, I'm a composer. I'm really new, well not to composing, but offering my compositions to others. Still expanding my software and sounds slowly but surely, but I'd love to offer my compositions. If you like, I could make a batch of examples this week, each track conceptualised around this fantastic game.

I would absolutely love to hear some music composed specifically for this game, and it would certainly encourage me to push forward with development. If you find the time to make some examples and send them too me that would be great!

EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »

I would absolutely love to hear some music composed specifically for this game, and it would certainly encourage me to push forward with development. If you find the time to make some examples and send them too me that would be great!

That's great! I'm surprised no-one has offered, already. Well, it's my lucky day!

I will get some done A.S.A.P Azn But, first, If I may ask.. Any directions you want me to take? It's much easier to compose something with some direction, be it.. Narrative, adjectives, style, speed.. All sorts.

I'll do some chip-tune type stuff (and modernize it slightly, too), and I also may create a new or even make a variation of an existing track by adding acoustic drums, and bitcrushing them. It's important to experiment :D Though, I probably won't be satisfied, I love the sound of tight, lo-fi drums.

I only wish I had a few examples to show you as is. Well, I do, but, not many. I'm very new to the whole process of taking part in composing, as I recently got required software. I mean, I wouldn't want you judging me biased on my existing tracks, because I have created "lewd" and "Mischievous" sounding tracks, but they were lost on previous computers and sadly were never uploaded. Though my recent uploaded tracks are pretty diverse, which is a plus, I suppose.

http://soundcloud.com/eveellis

Not much but, it's something!

EDIT: I was thinking.. The main character, he's of a duty? Right? A defender? I was thinking, a really fun theme to add would be, well.. I think you'll understand it more if I say "Super Sentai" or "Gatchaman", both helmeted good-doers. But have a very, very cheesy appeal.

Gatchaman:

Super Sentai:

Very similar, huh? I don't think it's a coincidence.
Now, I'm not saying, to add quirky vocals, but some orchestration. Maybe melodies influenced by these openings. It would add a lot of (dare I say), retro-cheese. And it'll also make the game seem  quite a bit more majestic, I think
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:07:35 PM by EveEllis » Logged
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:10 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/eveellis/inside-busters-theme-1-alpha

Made a verrrrry rough and early sketch of a theme I'm mocking up for it. Just to give you an idea of what sounds (at least for percussion) I may be using! :D Hope you enjoy.
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »

Sounds like a good start to me. Smiley

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

This busted my insides
Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »

Amazing. The game is great, the enemies were challenging, the boss was fun. But I have to complain about something, I guess, so the boss death felt a bit... Unpolished. Maybe you could make the boss fade away while exploding, so it doesn't look like it just disappears suddenly (while exploding)? Could make it feel more satisfying, and that's never a bad thing. Otherwise, great game, keep on a good job!

I can haz XNA Game studio?

Twitter: @Magnega
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »

I like this a lot.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic