Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:55:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsBMO - The D.I.Y. Platform for Hosting Game Jams - Dev Log & News
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BMO - The D.I.Y. Platform for Hosting Game Jams - Dev Log & News  (Read 3716 times)
brettchalupa
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

Hi. Hello. Welcome. This is the thread for BMO development, news, and support.

You may be thinking BMO? Is this guy nuts? Does he work for the Bank of Montreal or something?

Well, I may be a little nuts, but I don't work for any bank in the country up north.

About

BMO is a Ruby gem to help people of all sorts to be able to easily create a site to host game jams. Whether it is a yearly jam, monthly jam, or a one-time jam, BMO's goal is to simplify the process of making a community driven game jam site.

Why?

Most game jam sites are kind-of (really) awful. Wordpress hacks and PHP are not my idea of fun, so I thought that it'd be a nice challenge to make a better solution and open it up for everyone to easily use. Whether it's a site not being able to handle a large user load, missing some features, or just very difficult to navigate, the state of game jam sites is pretty weak.

Features

• Themes
  • Internationlization
  • Reusable Teams
  • Drag-n-drop Submission File Uploads
  • Easily embedded SWF, Unity, and HTML5/JS games
  • Jam Specific Voting Customization System
  • Easy to Run Backups
  • Downloading all Jam files as a zip and torrent downloads
  • Light-weight Microblog Functionality Similar to Twitter
  • Commenting on Submissions
  • Ability to Favorite Submissions
  • Detailed Analytics for Teams/User Submissions

Get Down and Dirty with the Specifics

BMO is built with Ruby on Rails. Ruby is a great language. Rails is a great framework for building web applications. They're fun to use and learn. I am using HAML and SASS because, well, HTML w/ erb and CSS are both kind of terrible.

The actual assets and files are going to be set up to use Amazon S3 by default. If you're interested in using something else, like, your own server, this is easily achievable as well.

My current production environment is hosted using Heroku, which has a nice free tier which should be sufficient for most smaller jams. There are handfuls of other options for Rails hosting as well.

What If I Don't Care About Ruby, Rails, Deploying, etc. But Want to Host a Game Jam?

Oh! So you're not interested in programming or hacking around? That's okay (not really, everyone should program and mess around in the terminal). Well then I've got another solution for you!

Jam Alchemy.

(Name subject to change daily until I find a name I am happy with and makes sense.)

With Jam Alchemy you'll be able to host a game jam on my own BMO deployment. I envision this being the overarching community for people interested in hosting and participating in game jams of all sizes. The Jam Alchemy community will allow users to have host privileges to put on jams and manage them.

Jam Alchemy is in the works to launch in late September.

When Will It Be Available?

Good question! Soon! I want to release the source by October 2012. If anyone wants to deploy their own BMO by then, please let me know!

What You Can Do to Help

Let me know of any features you'd like to see in such a thing and what you hate and love about current game jam sites.

Also, when the time comes for some testing of my production environment, I would love to have people try and break things.  Smiley

(This is the best to put this thread, right? It's kind of outside of the realm of game development, but specific to game jams and competitions.)
brettchalupa
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »

I've been working on this project for three weeks now, and it has been going smoothly.

As of starting this thread, here are the list of features that are nearly completed:

• Microposts system for user and updates
  • Users
  • Authentication & Sessions
  • Creating Game Jams
  • Submissions to Jams
  • Teams

I want to have a really early version of BMO ready by this Friday.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »

any developments brett?  maybe this should go somewhere else and get more attention?  I would like to see something like this, it could be good.  LD's platform is kind of bunk imo.
brettchalupa
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

Totally making progress, just haven't posted anything overly exciting lately.

BMO has a name, like a real name.

The Beautiful Mess Organizer or BMO for short. : )

I also made a first draft logo.

I've added support for Google Analytics and working on some other minor things because:

The first BMO is now live!

http://adventuretimegamejam.com

Still in alpha (and in regular development), this BMO will be ready to go by the beginning of next week a few days before the jam starts.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

mathematical!
I'm liking the twitter thing
alot alot alot

also damn ittt I reaally wish I could participate in this
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »

This sounds like an excellent project! Can't wait to see it in action.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »

Ha that comp looks great, and good luck with bmo :D

brettchalupa
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

Thanks for the support everyone! I've been slow with posting updates, but I've got some fun new ideas and new progress I made.

I added an embedded IRC chat client to the site, which was really, really easy. You can see it in action here: http://www.adventuretimegamejam.com/chat

Kind of nice for people wanting to chat. I am going to make it so each jam can easily embed their own IRC channel and stuff. Smiley
brettchalupa
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Lots of little things got done today in BMO, like a list of common jam resources, some updates to the way the home page works, and working on some other small and cool features like a jam countdown clock!
brettchalupa
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »

This weekend was the first jam on BMO, and I spent the whole weekend actually jamming on BMO and pushing new updates live! It was a really great time, and it was awesome to be able to push changes, not have the site break, and get immediately feedback.

Some features that got added this weekend!

• Master feed that is available to the public and all jams (an aggregate of all updates posted)
  • Markdown powered updates and descriptions (this way people could easily share images and links)
  • Working submissions w/ uploads and downloads and a nice page to show off the submission
  • Embedded Flash games if a .swf was submitted

I've got a list of things left to work on, but I guess BMO is actually functional, which is awesome!

I want to add a site-wide search and a submission specific search. I am also working on favorites and making submissions taggable. Smiley

Really happy that BMO worked and people seemed to enjoy using it. I got some awesome feedback!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »

coolness!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic