Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:15:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlowstorm
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Flowstorm  (Read 6269 times)
Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »

Edit:
It's finally here!
After months of hard work, we have finally gone live with our Kickstarter! \ o/

Web Alpha 4 is also live now, so feel free to jump in and play!

The winners of the standalone level design contest is Escapade by 4t3one and Detour by Ravidge! These two levels are now playable in the web version, scoreboards and all.

We've also updated our website, with a much updated level center, public design documentation and forums!

Click here for screenshots of Alpha 4!

Also, to help spread the word, Flowstorm on Reddit, if any of you use that!

Have fun :D

-- Original post below --

Hello!
My name is Joachim "Acegikmo" Holmér, and I've been developing a game called Flowstorm for the last few months, and I am really excited to announce the game now that Greenlight is up and running!

It's a 2.5D arcade racing and aerial combat game for PC and Mac. I tend to think of it as a mashup between Gravitar, Super Meat Boy, Trackmania and Liero.
The game is still early on in its development, which means that you guys can affect the direction the game takes! I'd love to hear any type of feedback of any sort Smiley

So without further ado, here's the announcement video!

You can actually try a single level of the game right now, over at www.flowstormgame.com!

If you like it, I'd love to get some help from you in getting the game to Steam. You can help Flowstorm over at Steam Greenlight, right here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92912207

You can also find Flowstorm on and
Additionally, feel free to join the #flowstorm IRC channel on irc.freenode.net if you want to chat.

I'm going to keep this thread up to date on the latest development and major fixes.

Thanks for watching!

Update:
Heatmap of the four Alpha 3 levels! (Massive image! Be sure to view in 100% scale)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:58:45 AM by Acegikmo » Logged
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

looks like a pretty original idea and cool, but I tried to play it and just couldn't. Controls seem way too unresponsive for a game that requires precision. Felt like a bit of lag after pressing a key, and also releasing, made aiming the ship in the intended direction almost impossible. Idk if it's just my computer or what.

Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

looks like a pretty original idea and cool, but I tried to play it and just couldn't. Controls seem way too unresponsive for a game that requires precision. Felt like a bit of lag after pressing a key, and also releasing, made aiming the ship in the intended direction almost impossible. Idk if it's just my computer or what.

It seems like it depends on the browser. I found that Chrome has been most reliable so far!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

Wonderful
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »

I like the concept and it looks really great in the video but when I tried it myself I must admit I was a little bit disappointed. It was extremely hard to control (not just very hard) - granted I am on an old pc and it was lagging quite a bit but still, it was way to hard. You seem to know what your doing so you probably already know this, but we tend to make our own games to difficult since we already master the controls. I think you should make the ship less fragile.

Edit: I hope I don't sound to harsh, because I really like the concept Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

Making the shit less fragile pretty much kills the concept of the shit being fragile
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »

Making the shit less fragile pretty much kills the concept of the shit being fragile

Yes, but at the moment you need to be perfectly aligned with the ground when you hit it, maybe he could make it so that you are allowed to have a small angle without the ship crashing on impact
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

Hey man don't change a thing. Controls are fine to me. Loved everything about it. Good concept and good implementation.

Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:10 AM »

Heatmap!

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »

That looks hot
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »

Ugghh...what a joyless game.  Asteroids control scheme sucks. Asteroids control scheme + gravity (Nimbus control scheme) sucks even more. Nimbus control scheme + hyper-fragility sucks the most.
Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »

Hello again, thanks for the feedback!

@Fallsburg: Ah well, not your cup of tea I suppose Wink

Flowstorm is now in Alpha 2, with the following changes:

Changelog - Alpha 2 - 2012 Sept 04:
• Added death location marker
• Added time difference stats when finishing
• Added low/high graphics toggle
• Added WAD+Space controls
• Ctrl+click ghost to hide all other ghosts
• Updated Logo
• Disabled vertical sync
• Added link to the Flowstorm steam group

You can play it at http://www.flowstormgame.com/ Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »

Will there ever be a standalone? The web one is simply unplayable
Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »

The standalone alpha recievers will be picked from the top 10 scoreboards in exactly two hours from now, so I guess that answers your question Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

Nice one, rewarding good players with the game
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »

Nice concept, I like it.  I think I actually had the opposite problem for AlexHW in that for me the controls were a bit too responsive - even a fraction of a second on the arrow key seemed to make me spin right round, which made it really hard to make the fine adjustments necessary to align myself with the ground.  It could be that I'm just rubbish, however.  In fact it almost definitely is that, but perhaps the controls are a little too sensitive as well.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Acegikmo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

We are happy to announce that Alpha 3, the shooting range update, is now released!

It's available right now at:
www.flowstormgame.com (Use the same account you used before!)

Changelog:

• 3 new levels with separate scoreboards
 • Added shooting range level
 • Level menu with an overview of your scores
 • Combined scoreboard
 • Scoreboard position now visible
 • Gamepad support (360 controller)
 • Updated some textures
 • Return & R are now the respawn keys
 • Plenty of editor bugs fixed
 • Code is a bit cleaner

And last but not least:
 • New standalone contest!

Be in the top 10 in any category on any level and you'll get the standalone at a specific date! Since there are 6 timers and 4 levels, that makes it 240 positions for the standalone alpha access!
More on that as it nears!

Now go play and have fun :D
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »

this is ridiculously difficult. i almost finished the easy stage

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Nova
Level 0

Redhead, Metalhead, Headyhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

Awesome implementation, everything is so satisfying! My only wish is there were more easy maps, as I find it really difficult Tongue

Also, could be cool to maybe have sideways thrusters, so you would really slide. Just a thought.

Graphic Designer @ Logic Artists
sranine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »

Hi everyone! Just wanted to send out an apology to anyone here who is on our mailing list and just received about 10 e-mails about the update! D: We're very sorry about that!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic