Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:57:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnother Castle - a rouguelike / platformer hybrid
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Another Castle - a rouguelike / platformer hybrid  (Read 6846 times)
Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »

Another Castle combines classic platforming gameplay with the randomness of a rouguelike. You play as Andy, a kid who's looking for a random item, whether it be a kick ass magical sword, a wizard hat, or royalty. To find the item you must run, jump, and fight your way through a randomly generated castle. When you beat the game, you sadly won't get the item, as it's always in another castle. Instead, the item is now unlocked and can be found in future playthroughs of the game.

You can play the alpha here: AnotherCastleTheGame.com

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:31:36 PM by Uncade » Logged

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »

Here's my current progress for level generation. I should be able to launch a website with the first prototype in about a week.

theSoupSmith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »

That's a really cool concept - do the items get better the further you progress into a single game? I really like the dynamic of trying to decide when is best to restart and actually have access to all the loot you failed to acquire!

Crescent is a multiplayer, 2d space shooting adventure where the player explores a vibrant, life-filled nebula by blasting asteroids and using the precious crystals within to synthesize controllable versions of the many creatures that inhabit it! Check out our devlog!
Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »

That's a really cool concept - do the items get better the further you progress into a single game? I really like the dynamic of trying to decide when is best to restart and actually have access to all the loot you failed to acquire!

Thanks! A lot of the design is a bit up in the air right now, but my current inclination is to make the items more powerful the further you progress. The loot you collect in the game you can use immediately, it's only the item you're looking for when you beat the game that you don't get, but instead will be randomly dropped in future playthroughs of the game. My goal is for an entire run-through of the game is to be roughly 6-8 levels, taking about a half an hour to an hour to complete, and no ability to save progress.

Although the way you've interpreted the design is giving me some interesting ideas.... hmmm...

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »

A couple screenshot of my current progress, trying to get the first prototype up by Monday:

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »

Just uploaded the first prototype!
You can check it out at AnotherCastleTheGame.com

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »

I just uploaded version 0.02 of the prototype. This version includes a Yo Yo attack, potions, heart containers, and a flying eyeball. You can play it here  I've also put up a quick youtube video showing off the update

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:53:57 AM »

Cool concept! Only two downsides I see at the moment:

1. The game doesn't make it apparent in any way that you can double-jump, and it's pretty critical to know that you can.

2. The level chunk design so far is specifically fit to your character's default physics, meaning that regardless of outcomes, effects like "jump up" or "jump down" are all liabilties to your ability to navigate, rather than assets to it.

Meanwhile, I like where this is going. I'm looking forward to more enemy designs being implemented - especially basic flying ones for the outerworld, and for combo-oriented enemy group placements, because let's face it, that's half the fun in hop'n'bops, right?!

I'd say you could afford a little more lenience in horizontal speed/momentum, but it seems you're pretty dialed in to a mathmatical formula that works where tile-laying goes, so we'll just have to see how the next group of level design chunkage works out, won't we?

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »

Cool concept! Only two downsides I see at the moment:

1. The game doesn't make it apparent in any way that you can double-jump, and it's pretty critical to know that you can.

2. The level chunk design so far is specifically fit to your character's default physics, meaning that regardless of outcomes, effects like "jump up" or "jump down" are all liabilties to your ability to navigate, rather than assets to it.

Meanwhile, I like where this is going. I'm looking forward to more enemy designs being implemented - especially basic flying ones for the outerworld, and for combo-oriented enemy group placements, because let's face it, that's half the fun in hop'n'bops, right?!

I'd say you could afford a little more lenience in horizontal speed/momentum, but it seems you're pretty dialed in to a mathmatical formula that works where tile-laying goes, so we'll just have to see how the next group of level design chunkage works out, won't we?

Thanks for the great feedback!

1- I'm still thinking through the best way to make the ability to double jump clear. maybe a small graphic at the start of the level?

2- Yea right now the level is designed to let you get through it at the minimum jump and speed. I'm hoping that getting higher speeds and height aren't a liability, however, but will act as a way to have more freedom of movement, as well as reach optional parts of the level you wouldn't normally be able to.

Eventually I'm going to have the difficulty increase as you play, requiring longer and higher jumps. I'm still thinking through the best way to make sure the player won't get stuck with a slower jump height or speed. My current thought is to make sure there are a minimum number of jump and speed increases available before the difficulty increases. That way it's up to the player to make sure they are prepared to keep going. This still doesn't seem to be the most elegant way to handle it though...

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »

Just updated the prototype to version 0.03. It adds in a sword, pellet gun, falling spikes, slimes, and nicer backgrounds.
Here's a video showing it off:

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:16 AM »

I'm thinking that at the default/consistent starting screen, you can put two or three coins at a single jump height, and then one or two just beyond that, meant to be double-jumped to. There ya go. Maybe even a basic baddie standing still that's right under the second to illustrate that even though you're armed, you can still hop'n'bop some enemies.

The spikes/spiked roofs are what make "jump up" abilities into casualty territories, and thus far there's not really any advantage to higher jumping. What I would do is feature *only* upgrades as power-ups, and have that come with increased control. For instance, the first "jump up" will result in you having a triple jump, not necessarily a higher vertical momentum. Power downs should occur as a penalty/punishment phase, like being nailed by an enemy or spike, or falling into a trap.

Biped/armed enemies might be a good step forwards too, as well as maybe a frontal shield that can repel shots, but only when standing idle. Critter-like enemies can be hop'n'bopped, but the armed/biped ones must be fought toe-to-toe or shot down, and have a spiked/horned head to illustrate that you won't be beating them with a stomp.

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »

I'm thinking that at the default/consistent starting screen, you can put two or three coins at a single jump height, and then one or two just beyond that, meant to be double-jumped to. There ya go. Maybe even a basic baddie standing still that's right under the second to illustrate that even though you're armed, you can still hop'n'bop some enemies.

The spikes/spiked roofs are what make "jump up" abilities into casualty territories, and thus far there's not really any advantage to higher jumping. What I would do is feature *only* upgrades as power-ups, and have that come with increased control. For instance, the first "jump up" will result in you having a triple jump, not necessarily a higher vertical momentum. Power downs should occur as a penalty/punishment phase, like being nailed by an enemy or spike, or falling into a trap.

Biped/armed enemies might be a good step forwards too, as well as maybe a frontal shield that can repel shots, but only when standing idle. Critter-like enemies can be hop'n'bopped, but the armed/biped ones must be fought toe-to-toe or shot down, and have a spiked/horned head to illustrate that you won't be beating them with a stomp.

I'm really liking the coin idea, I'll try something like that in the next update.

I'm also with you on taking out the jump down and speed down from the power ups. I'm thinking if I'm going put in any power downs from enemy hits they'll be temporary, to avoid unwinnable situations.

Yea, the game is really lacking in interesting enemies right now. For the next update I'm adding in spells and clothing items, but the update after that I'll be concentrating on enemies.

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »

I just updated the prototype to version 0.04.

It adds spells, clothing items, and falling platforms to the game. I've also added in some coins at the starting position that should hopefully make it apparent that you can double jump. Here's a vid showing it off:

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM »

Version 0.05 is out!

It adds a jetpack, flamethrower, spinning platforms, bouncy mushrooms, lava, and a fire golem.

http://www.AnotherCastleTheGame.com

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

I'm thinking about changing the design for Andy. I've made a few variations, any favorites or thoughts?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:42 AM »

I'd say 1/6, maybe 8.

Recent prototype:

Love the new widgets and enemies, they do a good job of shaking things up. Same with the good variety of Game Over screens. Simple, functional, classy.

Did notice that sometimes the physics tended to randomize, the jump-height in particular, which wasn't too bad a thing (if intentional?), but it (or the Moon Shoes) did take things to a point where it created collision errors by jumping the position further than your collision would be. Seems they're a 200% or so, maybe dial it down between 125-150% of jump height. It also made controlling jump momentum a total pain in the butt.

There were a couple of enemies in the dungeon/castle half I thought I could hop'n'bop (floating eyes in particular, there's no questioning Muscles).

Certainly moving forward nicely!

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »

I'd say 1/6, maybe 8.

Recent prototype:

Love the new widgets and enemies, they do a good job of shaking things up. Same with the good variety of Game Over screens. Simple, functional, classy.

Did notice that sometimes the physics tended to randomize, the jump-height in particular, which wasn't too bad a thing (if intentional?), but it (or the Moon Shoes) did take things to a point where it created collision errors by jumping the position further than your collision would be. Seems they're a 200% or so, maybe dial it down between 125-150% of jump height. It also made controlling jump momentum a total pain in the butt.

There were a couple of enemies in the dungeon/castle half I thought I could hop'n'bop (floating eyes in particular, there's no questioning Muscles).

Certainly moving forward nicely!

Yea, the jump height doesn't always feel exact. I think it has to do with the framerate as well as timing of the double jump. I do need to adjust the variable jump height.

I just updated to 0.06. It adds a freeze ray, summon shark, space suit, pillars, and hover enemies. Here's a video showing it off:

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »

It's looking really cool - keep up the good work!
My only complaint so far (and it's more of a nitpick) is about the level segments being are handmade, which leads to more control over design and all that, but seeing the same segment twice really hurts replayability, which is sort of key in a roguelike. If you're less than interested in that particular aspect, I guess it doesn't matter, but maybe some planned variations in segment designs would go a long way (I don't know if you had something like that yet, but whether you did or not, mix it up even more!)

Uncade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »

It's looking really cool - keep up the good work!
My only complaint so far (and it's more of a nitpick) is about the level segments being are handmade, which leads to more control over design and all that, but seeing the same segment twice really hurts replayability, which is sort of key in a roguelike. If you're less than interested in that particular aspect, I guess it doesn't matter, but maybe some planned variations in segment designs would go a long way (I don't know if you had something like that yet, but whether you did or not, mix it up even more!)

Thanks!

I'm keeping the number of segments low for now, so if I have to change something in the way they're designed it won't be a big deal to implement. By the time the final game is done the number of segments should be in the thousands, so seeing the same segment twice shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »

I like it, it looks awesome. Also I like the general idea.

Being it procedurally generated, maybe the levels could taunt you even more by being super easy if you had the thing you're after, having for instance more fire enemies/obstacles if you're going after an entry suit.

The physics are a bit awkward but I got used to them after a while (specially when jumping off ladders)

Keep it up! great stuff!

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic