Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:56:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCanvasser
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Canvasser  (Read 4578 times)
no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »

Edit: You can play Canvasser online here!

Evergreen Forest is in danger, and only the chosen Canvassers can save it!

Can you stop the faceless corporation who wants to clearcut your forest?

The Canvassers are a special order committed to saving mother nature, among other noble causes. They use their powers of asking people on the street for money to fight those that threaten to harm their beloved Earth.

Gameplay consists of introducing yourself to strangers, and working them until they're ready to hand over some cash. Canvasser is one of the first games to implement a dynamic dialogue system! That means that your conversations are dynamically generated out of pieces and reactive to your actions in a not-predetermined way. Never has writing and gameplay been so intertwined!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:14:16 AM by jlango » Logged

theSoupSmith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »

I remember seeing this a while back!

Did you get much art inspiration from Earthbound? Because your sprites and background are totally giving me that Earthbound feel! (Which is a good thing!)

Crescent is a multiplayer, 2d space shooting adventure where the player explores a vibrant, life-filled nebula by blasting asteroids and using the precious crystals within to synthesize controllable versions of the many creatures that inhabit it! Check out our devlog!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »

ahhh I have to deal with annoying canvassers every day and I still think this is an awesome idea haha. very lovely art too, I'm looking forward to this  Coffee

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »

Thanks guys!

I remember seeing this a while back!

Did you get much art inspiration from Earthbound? Because your sprites and background are totally giving me that Earthbound feel! (Which is a good thing!)

Earthbound is one of my all-time favorites. I definitely studied Earthbound and Mother 3 spritesheets when I was figuring out the art style.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

I've made some changes lately so I decided to record some alpha footage!

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

I've made some changes lately so I decided to record some alpha footage!

What happen to the video? I wanted to see it... Sad

As far it looks cool.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »

I have made some changes:

• I’ve added sound effects! So far they are mostly for the in-game menu. I also added footstep sounds to the civilians that fade in when they get closer to the player. Next I’ll be tackling environmental sounds like birds chirping and river sounds for the waterfront area etc.
  • I’ve added sweaters! Before this I only had two types of shirts with three colors each, but I’m finally at the point in production where I can start safely adding more assets for the people in the game. I also touched up a bunch of the pixel art since a lot of it is a couple months old.
  • Bug fixes / general balancing! These are the most boring of updates and also the most difficult to do, so that’s kinda cool.
  • Rain effects! Sometimes it rains when you are canvassing. When this happens, less people show up and they tend to care less.
  • More writing! I took a lot of inspiration for Katamari Damacy and made the boss completely unable to be impressed. It makes the boss a little more of a fun character. (S)he also gets pissed when you don’t make enough money. “There are TREES on the line! Majestic trees!”

What happen to the video? I wanted to see it... Sad

As far it looks cool.

I... accidentally deleted it. I'll probably rehost it at some point, and I'll be making a new one soon anyway.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »

The gameplay doesn't really sound appealing to me personally, but I love the art style.  Good luck with the game!

TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »

You should seek out an official partnership with the Greens or other such local party; capitalize on the topical subject matter to get official branding in the game and a bit of PR.

Also, the last screenshot reminds me of Friday the 13th. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:55:41 AM by TertiumQuid » Logged

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »

I've posted a new alpha video!

Tertium: thanks for suggestion! I've been looking into doing something like that, possibly with an environmental advocacy group.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »

Well I finished this game and you can play online on my portfolio site.. I didn't post too much about it here, but I blog pretty regularly about it and my other projects at jacksonlango.com
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:13:47 AM by jlango » Logged

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »

The link is mistyped. playing now though!

play hydlide 2
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »

Cool concept! The dialogue system is intriguing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:02:41 PM by Belimoth » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »

Cool game, good pace, innovative theme. It goes fast and you never have to wait, just click and it responds. Gameplay gets repetitive, though, maybe introducing greater variety in challenges and player actions would've helped.

Well done!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic